Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bread Maker Recommendations

• 24-08-2020 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

hiya i'm looking for recommendations for a good breadmaker if anyone knows one

budget is not huge but i have 60 oneforall voucher to put toward it so amazon isn't an option to buy from for this

it would get pretty regular use

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Panasonic all the way. SD-2501 with the nut and seed dispenser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Panasonic as well. I have had mine for 10 years now. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Treppen

Panasonic SD thing + nuts dispenser as well.

Follow the recipe exactly though.

Strong white flour and yeast was often sold out so stock up when you get a chance.

Toasted fresh bread with real butter means 3/4 the loaf will be gone straight away. Goes a bit hard day 2. So I usually time to have it done by 12pm then take out and cover with clean dishcloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking at this also but simplest. Would not use eg seeds and nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

+1 for panasonic, argos have some cheaper makes (cant speak for how good they are)

The sd 2500 doesnt have the seed tray, 2501 and 2511 do, i have the 2511, (its more than 60 though)

Make sure to get one with a delay timer on it. Prep it the night before, fresh bread when you get up.

Sorry, all but one out of stock at argos,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭samo

Would agree on the Panasonic- well worth the investment we have one going good as ever and 12 years Young. Also does great pizza dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Yeah, another vote for Panasonic. We don't have the raisin dispenser, and don't miss it. The few times we've needed to add things in the middle, the machine's beeped*, we've chucked the stuff in, and pressed Go. No problem.

If you get one, check out the Sandwich and French bread recipes, rather than the basic loaf.

*beeped: the Panasonic has the quietest beep I've ever known. Now, if you could average the Panasonic's beeps with the Tower electric pressure cooker's, you'd be perfect :)

Yes, should have added that they're in very short supply everywhere, so good luck actually finding one! One of those things that became very popular during lockdown I think, and supplies haven't recovered yet.

On the seed dispenser, I make a lot of seeded breads so it's very useful, especially as as someone pointed out the beep is barely audible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Another vote for the Panasonic here. Mine is years old, and at the moment is living with one of my daughters "on loan" ;) . She uses it a few times a week, while I now make my bread the traditional way.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    Strong white flour and yeast was often sold out so stock up when you get a chance.
    I found plenty of Odlums white and wholemeal strong bread flour in Dunnes Stores (in Cornelscourt, S. Dublin) yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Picked up a Panasonic SD2511 today so thanks for all the recommendations.

Will need to start making bread now

anyone ever do sourdough in it? I've a starter in the fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here’s a recipe here https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/bread-machine-sourdough-bread-recipe

It says 3 1/2 hours total cooking time which seems a bit short to me for a loaf. You could try sticking it, covered in cling film, in the fridge overnight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I never made sourdough in mine, but the French loaf is truly amazing. It's crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, the texture of vienna rolls that bakeries used to make :)

Never done it but there's an article here from Panasonic ...

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-appliances-learn/home-appliances/sourdough-and-gluten-free-getting-the-most-from-your-breadmaker.html

Thanks guys, did the first loaf this morning, just a basic white loaf to get a feel for things, and it turned out pretty well.

Good to hear! The recipes are pretty foolproof. I saw a program on the TV recently where they did a piece on the development of the very first bread machine by Panasonic. They spent ages perfecting the recipes making thousands of loaves, tweaking them here and there until they got the perfect result.

Any time I've ever deviated from them, eg if I follow a recipe on a flour package, or an internet recipe supposedly designed for bread machines, it never works as well.

so don't go off on hairbrained ideas and stick to the recipes in the book

good advice

Advertisement