Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who footed the bill for the Clifden shindig?

Options
  • 24-08-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Any political heads here know who footed the bill for the Clifden shindig, or indeed where the finance for the (Royal?) Oireachtas Golf Society comes from?

I'm wondering if it comes from the usual source - from the taxpayer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

I doubt it.

Golf societies are just groups of friends / colleagues who get together to play a bit of golf. The fact that it is call the Oireachtas Golf Society does not mean it is organised, controlled or funded by the Oireachtas. It is going 50 years apparently and is just a private club.

So .. while there is plenty to be angry about with regards to the shindig i'm positive there is nothing to do with taxpayer money going on here ... it would have been funded by it's members.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

whippet wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Golf societies are just groups of friends / colleagues who get together to play a bit of golf. The fact that it is call the Oireachtas Golf Society does not mean it is organised, controlled or funded by the Oireachtas. It is going 50 years apparently and is just a private club.

So .. while there is plenty to be angry about with regards to the shindig i'm positive there is nothing to do with taxpayer money going on here ... it would have been funded by it's members.

Good to know.

So in that case, there should be zero expenses recorded against this event then?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bricriu wrote: »
    Any political heads here know who footed the bill for the Clifden shindig, or indeed where the finance for the (Royal?) Oireachtas Golf Society comes from?

Ultimately the taxpayer, but it's funneled via the queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bricriu wrote: »

A good and relevant question to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No public money was spent according to RTÉ last sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder how many more threads on the subject by low level or recently registered posters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭satguy

Gatling wrote: »
    Wonder how many more threads on the subject by low level or recently registered posters

Looks like the OP joined the same year as you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

satguy wrote: »
    Looks like the OP joined the same year as you ...

Doesn't change a thing

Advertisement