Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat Private Bathroom - opinions?

• 24-08-2020 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Ive been thinking of "making" a private bathroom for my cat rather than just having the litter tray on a mat on the floor behind the couch.

I thought maybe I could buy something like this from Ikea:

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/brimnes-cabinet-with-doors-black-80300660/

and either fit a cat flap into one side of it - or simply cut a doorway into one side of it and then keep the litter tray inside with a mat on the doorway end, so the cat can go in and do her business, and then exit back into the room. The way my apartment is set up I could cut an entrance into the side thats not that visible. So my place would simply have a cabinet that has a secret cat toilet hidden in it.

She is generally private about the litter tray anyway and if you walk up to her while she is in it she will leave and wait for a quieter moment.

It would solve the issue of flying bits of litter requiring daily sweeps around the tray area. And hopefully contain any litter tray smells (which are not really an issue as I clean it out twice daily).

But the big question is - cats being cats - will she use it? Or will she sit at the doorway miaowing at me til I take the litter tray back out on the floor. I was thinking I could try it just with the doors open before cutting a bit out of it to see will she go in there for toileting at all.

Anyone ever tried something like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe get a cheap covered tray to start with - before going to the expense/bother of making one that she mightn't use?
    https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

tk123 wrote: »
    You could maybe get a cheap covered tray to start with - before going to the expense/bother of making one that she mightn't use?
    https://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_litter_litter_boxes/hooded_litter_box

I did think about this, but I doubt she would use something that small. She likes to stand tall in the litter tray sometimes! And she also likes to leap out of it and dash about joyfully (and why not - after a successful poop!).

I was thinking the cabinet because (a) itll look nicer in the room and (b) she will have loads of room inside it so she wont feel trapped or hemmed in.

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for a covered tray - we got one for our two cats recently, much better than an open tray

While you are at it, switch to the wooden pellets; I find they last a lot longer, don't smell as much, and break up into sawdust. You can even dispose of the (poo-removed) remnants in the compost bin too: https://www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie/product/woody-cat-litter-4/

Spocker wrote: »
    While you are at it, switch to the wooden pellets...

Tried them. Cat said no. Miaow time until I relented and went back to the cheap LIDL litter she is used to. Fussy little princess, you know yourself.

Well I did it.

I made her a private bathroom in a cabinet with a cat flap fitted to one side and she loves it!!!

And I love the neater set up!

Win win!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hayoc wrote: »
    Well I did it.

I made her a private bathroom in a cabinet with a cat flap fitted to one side and she loves it!!!

And I love the neater set up!

Win win!!

Well, that's good news.
    In my experience with our cats over the years ..the more you spend on something for them (time and/or money), the more they ignore it in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I recall seeing a cat litter cabinet in Maxizoo a while back, so not such an unusual thing after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

One of our cats has become rather...smelly in his old age plus OH is allergic to him so I fashioned him a little cat condo in our lobby. Because there is a converted attic* above, there's an "under stairs" part too. So he has his own cosy bed in the alcove/ cave, a closed in litter tray and his food, water treats etc. When he comes in from the garden now he goes straight out to it, like his own little apartment, he loves his own space. We had to remove the front flap on the tray however, as it was too much for his pea sized intellect :D

*There's a gap in the stairs allowing him access to the attic room and its cosy double guest bed, but that secret is between me and him :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    We had to remove the front flap on the tray however, as it was too much for his pea sized intellect :D

I also removed the front flap as there was no need for it - no motivation to learn how to use it when it doesnt lead to food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modkat-Top-Entry-Reduces-Tracking-Reusable/dp/B004DBNGU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=modkat&qid=1599638328&sr=8-1

We have been using the Modkat litter box (amazon link above) if you ever decide to change, find it very good. It comes with a plastic reusable liner that you will need to wash from time to time.. but it is great, very easy to change the litter and it definitely reduces smell and emss vs other options we have used.

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modkat-Top-Entry-Reduces-Tracking-Reusable/dp/B004DBNGU8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=modkat&qid=1599638328&sr=8-1

We have been using the Modkat litter box (amazon link above) if you ever decide to change, find it very good. It comes with a plastic reusable liner that you will need to wash from time to time.. but it is great, very easy to change the litter and it definitely reduces smell and emss vs other options we have used.

The pics are so funny on that link - the cat has great expressions lol.

I am also pleased to have a place to store the associated litter tray stuff, bags of litter, scoop etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

hayoc wrote: »
    The pics are so funny on that link - the cat has great expressions lol.

I hadn't noticed his mischievious expression until you said that!

jim o doom wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed his mischievious expression until you said that!

Full on playtime face - or maybe a poop zoomie in the making!

My girl zoomies like crazy after a poop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

You can't tease us with the success and not show us a photo of the finished product! I thought of doing this for my cats but a) I'm too lazy and b) I know full well the feckers wouldn't use the thing. One of our girls has a habit of hanging her bum out over the edge of the tray when she goes so we've had to switch to high sided trays now.

Ive cobbled together 4 pics.

1 - this is the original situation
    2 - this is the cat flap in the side
    3 - this is the interior of the cabinet
    4 - this is the cats tail disappearing into the private bathroom.

Wow! I am super impressed. That looks incredible!

That is brilliant! Great work :)

The best part is that she was totally into it - no hesitation at all. She just went in and looked around then started using it with no problems.

Nice work :D I'm planning a little Ikea project myself to make a better feeding station for Bailey but the boxes I want are out of stock :(

Nice work :D I'm planning a little Ikea project myself to make a better feeding station for Bailey but the boxes I want are out of stock :(

Ooh - what ones are you thinking of - Ive been thinking of a feeding station project too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

+1 for a covered tray - we got one for our two cats recently, much better than an open tray

While you are at it, switch to the wooden pellets; I find they last a lot longer, don't smell as much, and break up into sawdust. You can even dispose of the (poo-removed) remnants in the compost bin too: https://www.fetchyourpetneeds.ie/product/woody-cat-litter-4/
    I wouldn't put a carnivorous animal's waste in the compost.

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/column/because-you-asked/can-i-compost-kitty-litter

I'm thinking the KNAGGLIG boxes but I need to bring my template and see if the bowls fit lol :o

I'm thinking the KNAGGLIG boxes but I need to bring my template and see if the bowls fit lol :o

Id love to see the outcome of this project - please post a pic if/when you do it?

s1ippy wrote: »
    I wouldn't put a carnivorous animal's waste in the compost.

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/column/because-you-asked/can-i-compost-kitty-litter

I think that's why Spocker said 'Poo-removed'. Wood litter is fine for the compost once all the solid waste is removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I thought it was because there are organisms like toxoplasmosis transferred to the litter (ever poo removed) that can persist in the compost pile and wouldn't be safe to have in the garden.

We have flushable litter, though we don't have to use it much because our beauty goes outside around the perimeter to keep the other cats away. :D

Advertisement