Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding a sub consumer unit

Options
  • 24-08-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

will be having an electrican in adding a few new sockets and the old consumer unit is a single row unit and is full whats involved in adding a second unit/sub board?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

will be having an electrican in adding a few new sockets and the old consumer unit is a single row unit and is full whats involved in adding a second unit/sub board?

Normally:
    - A main distribution board would supply 1 or more sub-distribution boards.
    - A single 3 core cable from the main board would supply a sub distribution board.
    - The sub-distribution board would have it's own main isolation switch.
    - Final circuits are fed from the sub-distribution board.
    - The sub-distribution board may be located close to the loads / circuits it is supplying.

In a domestic installation I would generally prefer to extend / or replace the existing board to meet the new requirements as this tends to be neater. Always allow 20% or more for future requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macromacaroon

2011 wrote: »
    Normally:
    - A main distribution board would supply 1 or more sub-distribution boards.
    - A single 3 core cable from the main board would supply a sub distribution board.
    - The sub-distribution board would have it's own main isolation switch.
    - Final circuits are fed from the sub-distribution board.
    - The sub-distribution board may be located close to the loads / circuits it is supplying.

In a domestic installation I would generally prefer to extend / or replace the existing board to meet the new requirements as this tends to be neater. Always allow 20% or more for future requirements.

thanks for the reply, im in an at risk category so i just want the electrician in and out, so a more simple and straight forward job would suit me and from what way the electrician descibed the existing unit being upgraded and the work involved, i wasn't really instrested in the amount of time and labor involved

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Fair enough. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement