Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rental issues

• 24-08-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have just entered into a new lease. (signed and deposit and rent paid.)

However apon moving in I have discovered a few issues and was wondering how I should approach them or if I should just sort them myself? Any advice from tenants or landlords really appreciated how to resolve them!

Smells - It is very dirty with cupboards full of junk and filth and rubbish under chairs/radiators toilet seats need to be replaced and toilets, showers and bathtub all need a deep clean. Bulbs were all empty bar 1.

The radiators when turned on are old electric fan types which emite and incredibly horrid smell...
    The washing machine is full of hair and dead flies.
    The dishwasher has a puddle of water at the bottom that smells and won't drain.
    The lock on the front door is broken and barely works.
    One bedroom door handle does work at all.
    There is also an old broken washing machine in the hallway which was supposed to have been removed.

I have been cleaning after work but I have long days and it's slow work..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I have just entered into a new lease. (signed and deposit and rent paid.)

However apon moving in I have discovered a few issues and was wondering how I should approach them or if I should just sort them myself? Any advice from tenants or landlords really appreciated how to resolve them!

Smells - It is very dirty with cupboards full of junk and filth and rubbish under chairs/radiators toilet seats need to be replaced and toilets, showers and bathtub all need a deep clean. Bulbs were all empty bar 1.

The radiators when turned on are old electric fan types which emite and incredibly horrid smell...
    The washing machine is full of hair and dead flies.
    The dishwasher has a puddle of water at the bottom that smells and won't drain.
    The lock on the front door is broken and barely works.
    One bedroom door handle does work at all.
    There is also an old broken washing machine in the hallway which was supposed to have been removed.

I have been cleaning after work but I have long days and it's slow work..

Why did you accept it in such poor condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LordFigilton

macadam wrote: »
    Why did you accept it in such poor condition?

I had not realised there was so much dirt, I hadn't gone through the presses or looked under things or turned on the heaters or looked in the washing machines etc

All on my list for future!

Is it too late to raise these issues?

I had not realised there was so much dirt, I hadn't gone through the presses or looked under things or turned on the heaters or looked in the washing machines etc

All on my list for future!

Is it too late to raise these issues?
    Probably, but Id raise them anyway and note it, send the Landlord a detailed letter with pictures etc ask them is there any compromise ie a cleaner or a refund /reduction on the rent. What was in the Lease, what area is the property in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭policarp

Probably, but Id raise them anyway and note it, send the Landlord a detailed letter with pictures etc ask them is there any compromise ie a cleaner or a refund /reduction on the rent. What was in the Lease, what area is the property in.

Are you joking?
    Flats in Dub[in are few.

policarp wrote: »
    Are you joking?
    Flats in Dub[in are few.

Is it in Dublin?? Didnt see location mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 LordFigilton

Is it in Dublin?? Didnt see location mentioned.

quote="policarp;114413074"]Are you joking?
    Flats in Dub[in are few.[/quote]

Yes it is in Dublin! Two bed apartment.

I more what to know what is my responsibility and what is the landlords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

https://www.rtb.ie/images/uploads/general/RTB_The_Good_Landlord_Tenant_Guide_V4_%28REVISED_Aug_2020%29_web.pdf

Take a look at the above. I would advise you to record all issues and take photos. In particular see “minimum standards for rented accommodation ” and both tenant & landlord responsibilities.
    Contact the landlord just to put on record the issues. Do this sooner rather than later, otherwise you could be blamed and loose security deposit if you paid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is really a question for the Accomodation & Property forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//forumdisplay.php?f=38

Advertisement