Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed cable supply. 7Core? Yes or No.

Options
  • 24-08-2020 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I can't find anything in the ET101 in clear Yes/No

So I would like to supply a small shed from a large shed, with 15m of 7x2.5 SWA.
    Cores 1-3 Sockets (2 No Only) Cores 4-6 Lights (2No 5 foot LED) 20&10 Amp RCBO in the shed DB supplying 6x4 IP66 J.B in the new small block shed. All cores with labels and marking/text in DB+Shed.

Long story short... Yes or No on the 7-core??? (My concern would be the two circuits in the one cable)

I have seen multicore cables supply heaters/Oil pumps on Chiller/VAC skids at work, and large switch banks at with several circuits on each cable (DLS on CAEG emergency lighting is one that I can think of)

2 individual cables is plan B, I have space issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I can't find anything in the ET101 in clear Yes/No

So I would like to supply a small shed from a large shed, with 15m of 7x2.5 SWA.
    Cores 1-3 Sockets (2 No Only) Cores 4-6 Lights (2No 5 foot LED) 20&10 Amp RCBO in the shed DB supplying 6x4 IP66 J.B in the new small block shed. All cores with labels and marking/text in DB+Shed.

Long story short... Yes or No on the 7-core??? (My concern would be the two circuits in the one cable)

I have seen multicore cables supply heaters/Oil pumps on Chiller/VAC skids at work, and large switch banks at with several circuits on each cable (DLS on CAEG emergency lighting is one that I can think of)

2 individual cables is plan B, I have space issues.

I would say a definite no. Not because of anything in ET101 though. It's just a very bad way to wire it. You'd be better off running a 3 core swa to a sub board in the small shed and then wiring the lights and sockets from there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I believe that this is permitted but it is messy and it increases the risk of something going wrong. To isolate the cable two final circuit devices would have to be switched off which is unusual and avoidable. Down the road this could lead to an accident. With electrical design it is best to keep it simple, even if that means it uses more cable and / or costs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Sound out lads, Ya I don't think it is wrong from a regulations point of view, but not ideal for sure. It's just as much work with all the labels/tags etc...

I'll go your road Aido79, with the sub boad it will keep the sheds separate to a point also. Infact that will work out better long term if they want to add in anything else in the shed later on.

Make it clearly understandable to the next installer. If I saw a 7 core feeder to a shed I was working on my price goes up. Or more specifically if I'm working on a boat and all the cables are black or there's ELV on LV cables I'm charging double...professional courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Less is definitely more straight forward. I don't know why I didn't think of that first. Probably because it was so small and off a shed already. But I was putting up a JB inside it anyway for the 7 core might aswell ha.

Anyone remember we had a thread here on tips and tricks and good ideas? Did that get deleted or was it removed for various reasons just reminded me of it.

I remember some lads had very crafy ideas to repair damaged back box's and the likes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement