Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment blocks and Covid

Options
  • 24-08-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I am a director of my apartment block's owner management company.

Our building is very compact, with small apartments and narrow common areas.

Additionally, I have been made aware that some of our residents are away visiting non green-list countries, and are due to return soon.

The HSE does not appear to have any particular advice on our kind of situation. Are there any particular measures or precautions we should consider taking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Not sure it would work for you, but the Chinese used welders to enforce quarantine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can you install hand sanitiser at the door?

Also, leave signs up to keep windows open in common areas such as stairwells where safe to do so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Thanks for those pointers. They are helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can you install hand sanitiser at the door?

Also, leave signs up to keep windows open in common areas such as stairwells where safe to do so.
    Good advice. Airflow in the common areas is definitely the most useful change you can make.

I guess instructing the cleaners to pay particular attention to door handles of common doors and to lift buttons (inside and out) would be helpful too. Not much you can do beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Travellers aren't required to quarantine on return, only restrict their movements. So this doesn't preclude them from moving through the common areas.

The above is all good advice. In particular I'd post something into all the residents' mailboxes specifically asking people to make space when moving through the common areas, to wear masks in the common areas (especially if they've been out of the country) and to avoid standing in groups and blocking up common areas and entrances/exits.

If you can stretch to it, I'd install hand sanitiser at every "touch point" - every internal & external door and stairwell - so people can clean their hands immediately after touching anything. Propping internal doors open or removing them completely is not permitted under fire regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

If you're going to install sanitisers then it's vital to keep them filled and maintained.

We warmly welcomed one going up at the main door to our block back in May. But it became obvious that it couldn't be relied upon because it would go days and days without getting a refill.
    If you can't rely on them to work, then they actually increase the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

biko wrote: »

I would not go beyond that as there could be implied liability if the sanitiser is not kept filled etc.
    You could suggest they wear masks in the common areas

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

what about putting up notices ? who empties the bins? i would clean them before and after emptying. i wouldnt touch the staircases if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mikhail wrote: »
    Airflow in the common areas is definitely the most useful change you can make.

For another month anyway. Don't want Greta on your case now as a covid co-morbidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wouldn't bother with hand sanitisers unless you had a really dedicated caretaker, you'll be forever filling them. Notices in the common areas. Ask the cleaners to focus on high-touch locations like lift buttons, door handles etc. I like the idea of good ventilation.

I'm not sure what else could be expected of a volunteer management company.

Advertisement