Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeep Tax rates

Options
  • 24-08-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,
    not sure I am in the right forum but my question ultimately relates to farming.

I myself am not a farmer, I do not have a herd number or flock number, I have all my life been involved in Farming.

My work situation has changed a little in that I do not need to drive 40 miles plus a day, I also spend a lot of time helping my family out on the farm. I was thinking of buying a jeep for practicalities, just a two seater, probably a landcruiser.

From what I Know I would have to tax it private which would be in excess of 1000 euro. Does anyone know if this is actually the case or if there is a way around it. I would not be able to pay 1000 a year for essentially a two seat vehicle.

thanks
    Reg
    Tagged:

Comments

Depends on which council you are dealing with how strict they are. You could just try taxing it and see what happens.

Best thing to do is get who ever you buy it off to tax it for a year and worry about it next year. If all else fails just put it in the name of who ever had the herd number and then get them to tax it for the year. You can put it back in your own name then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If you help out on the family farm then tax it in the family herd number. You will have to fill out a commercial/goods only declaration form (RF111A) and get it stamped in your local Garda station. Technically the vehicle cannot be used for social, domestic or pleasure purposes but try telling that to every farmer with a 4x4 in the country :rolleyes:
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111A_en.pdf
    Input the herd number in the space for Tax number. If the herd number is not the same as your family name then as posted above buy it in the herd numbers name but ensure that the insurance policy covers open driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭regvw

Hi Guys,
    many thanks for the replies, ultimately I am thinking it gets very messy if i mix my name with a herd number that is ultimately not mine in one way or another.

Now if I get it taxed by someone else, I need them to have insurance on it first to be able to tax it which would involve switching policys from their current vehicle and onto this and then back off again which is a bit of hassle for them.

any way I look at this it is definitely not easy at all, still wondering if there is an easier route

thanks
    Reg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It really depends on Local Authority involved. Some LA accept a herd number, but more look for you to be registered and paying tax as a sole trader. You may have to also provide a tax clearance certificate.

Do you really need a LC for the farming involved. Will you be towing a load of over 2.5T regularly. Will you require that level of 4WD capabilities on the farm.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't give up, it's only 333 to tax a jeep for a year. Get a flock number or hens or something. What county are you in?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    Don't give up, it's only 333 to tax a jeep for a year. Get a flock number or hens or something. What county are you in?

I'm in Limerick , would it work with a flock number, what would be involved in that.

regvw wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    many thanks for the replies, ultimately I am thinking it gets very messy if i mix my name with a herd number that is ultimately not mine in one way or another.

Now if I get it taxed by someone else, I need them to have insurance on it first to be able to tax it which would involve switching policys from their current vehicle and onto this and then back off again which is a bit of hassle for them.

any way I look at this it is definitely not easy at all, still wondering if there is an easier route

thanks
    Reg

They wouldn't need to insure it to tax it, you can scribble down any old insurance policy number its never checked.

Out of sheer laziness I keep putting in an old policy number every time I tax my car online as the number is being remembered in the box by autofill from the first time I entered it so I just keep using it rather than having to go looking for my current policy number.
    I'm in Limerick , would it work with a flock number, what would be involved in that.

That would be far more hassle than just putting it in someone else's name temporarily.

They wouldn't need to insure it to tax it, you can scribble down any old insurance policy number its never checked.

Out of sheer laziness I keep putting in an old policy number every time I tax my car online as the number is being remember in the box by autofill from the first time I entered it so I just keep using it rather than having to go looking for my current policy number.

That would be far more hassle than just putting it in someone else's name temporarily.

i often wondered to be honest as i feared I often got the policy number wrong I was entering and nothing happened

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry I don't know what Limerick is like. I'm in Tipp and wife is from Clare. Tipp was making me jump through hoops backwards in comparison to what Clare coco was looking for when we were taxing a LC a few yrs back.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Check out insurance quotes before you buy anything. We changed back to private taxed jeep from crewcab and when we put insurance and tax together it worked out cheaper to go with private tax.by rights commercial tax is for business use only,so if you met the wrong guard or in an accident situation it could become a bit messy.its grand to drive down the road with a gang of young fellas in the back going to a match or disco and have no worries

• Advertisement

Limerick is p e of the hardest counties totax commercial. I think they don't look for a herd number,some trader accounts/registeration confirmation from revenue, tax compliant and commercial insurance.

Slava Ukrainii

K.G. wrote: »
    Check out insurance quotes before you buy anything. We changed back to private taxed jeep from crewcab and when we put insurance and tax together it worked out cheaper to go with private tax.by rights commercial tax is for business use only,so if you met the wrong guard or in an accident situation it could become a bit messy.its grand to drive down the road with a gang of young fellas in the back going to a match or disco and have no worries

good point and i was thinking of the insurance too, main point tho I still could not pay 1400 ofr tax a year.

really thinking of going off this idea :(

Insurance varies a lot though so I wouldn't be thinking it will definitely be expensive.

I got a quote a little while back on a LC 2 seat commercial for around 500 euro and that was mirroring my no claims bonus from my car policy (different insurance company also) so not even a straight forward quote with standard no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

It really depends on Local Authority involved. Some LA accept a herd number, but more look for you to be registered and paying tax as a sole trader. You may have to also provide a tax clearance certificate.

Do you really need a LC for the farming involved. Will you be towing a load of over 2.5T regularly. Will you require that level of 4WD capabilities on the farm.

In reality though, if you are going to be towing over a ton frequently, you really do need a 4x4/Jeep of some sort.

Most cars have a towing capacity of 1500/1600kg - take away 600/700kg for a good trailer - there is very little left you can legally tow with a car/van.

josephsoap wrote: »
    In reality though, if you are going to be towing over a ton frequently, you really do need a 4x4/Jeep of some sort.

Most cars have a towing capacity of 1500/1600kg - take away 600/700kg for a good trailer - there is very little left you can legally tow with a car/van.

There are other options to a LC. There are a fair few smaller sized jeeps that can legally tie two ton. Ordinary tax on then is sub 750 euro.
    2008-2012 vehicules
    Toyota RAV 2.2L tax 390 or 570 euro
    Suzuki Vitara. 2L tax 750euro
    Honda CRV 2.2L tax 750euro
    Ford Kuga 2L tax 570 euro

Post 2012
    There are some even cheaper tax

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the issue just when you are taxing as new owner for first time if tax is expired pre-ownership change? I thought if seller had it already taxed you could then just tax it online when it was up, I could be wrong.

Is the issue just when you are taxing as new owner for first time if tax is expired pre-ownership change? I thought if seller had it already taxed you could then just tax it online when it was up, I could be wrong.

No you cannot. On commercial ownership you need to provide required information first time you newly tax a vehicle. As well if you have a vehicle taxed commercial and change vehicle you must provide the information again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You will also have to get a stamped weight bridge certificate at the first taxing in your name.
    Local Feed Mill or Waste Recycling centre can do this.

I was actually thinking of going for a Mitsubishi oulander 2.2 diesel 4X4 instead 2011 2012 , cheaper tax

anybody know much about them

Advertisement