Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts Megathread 2 - too cheap to pay for a witty title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Yeah, I know, I still ordered a few bits and bobs as an experiment ;) Waiting is the smallest of the possible issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

eeeee wrote: »
    That frame is ugly though :eek:
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sorry Lenny, eye of the beholder and all, but that frame is an eyesore.

:confused:

It's not that bad, imo.

VR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cannondale fan here, so yeah....that top tube :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd ride that. Some serious gift horse in the mouth looking going on here. 1500 to 2 grand (if you can find it in stock!) groupset on a 1200 quid set of wheels and everything else is basically free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Still doesn't change the wonky frame design though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'd ride that. Some serious gift horse in the mouth looking going on here. 1500 to 2 grand (if you can find it in stock!) groupset on a 1200 quid set of wheels and everything else is basically free!

The 2k version of the bike has a Potenza groupset (€600) and what look like Zonda C17 (€500) with a frame that they claim is worth €1000 but in reality you'd get nicer from a range of retailers for half or less of that price.

I think you get exactly what you pay for, Decathlon have some good value things, but I think their bike section is overrated in regards higher end bikes. You get what you pay for alongside an overpriced ugly as f*ck frameset. Only use in them now is the shortage of groupsets, might be worth it to someone desperate to strip for another build and hopefully fob the frame off for anything or use it for a winter hack bike. As you go up the range, you get closer and closer to cost price for the parts and the frame for free.

Matches me club gear though!! 😁

IdiqOUd1.jpeg

Matches me club gear though!! 😁

IdiqOUd1.jpeg

I'll see you at the club league this year if we are allowed out, see if it makes the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just a reminder (thought about it whilst reading this weeks cycling weekly last night) - sure it must have been mentioned before

your online library subscription has a pressreader account

this includes cycling weekly, cycling plus and cyclist magazine (also several foreign cycling magazines)

loads of other stuff as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

just a reminder (thought about it whilst reading this weeks cycling weekly last night) - sure it must have been mentioned before

your online library subscription has a pressreader account

this includes cycling weekly, cycling plus and cyclist magazine (also several foreign cycling magazines)

loads of other stuff as well

Doing my job for me (librarian in one of the local authorities) There is also 1 book, called across and down by Ronald Zell available to borrow on Borrowbox, though not until Feb 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Doing my job for me (librarian in one of the local authorities) There is also 1 book, called across and down by Ronald Zell available to borrow on Borrowbox, though not until Feb 4

Borrowbox is a great app. It's a pity it isn't compatible with kindles (or vice versa, not sure who's not playing ball)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If anyone ever buys Ekoi stuff at full price then they are some idiot!!

Thermal skinsuit I can vouch for. Bought one in a sale last winter. Was only 100e though compared to this 'sale' price. Excellent piece of kit. Extremely warm. Only to be used in the coldest of conditions.

Never heard of them. Nice looking gear. Where do they ship from? (is it the dreaded UK?)

If anyone in Dublin is ordering a rake of stuff and doesn't mind lashing one of these into their basket I'd fancy one for the turbo please!

https://www.ekoi.com/en/helmet-caps/10978-bandeau-ekoi-thermo-jaune-fluo-0400001097809.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Never heard of them. Nice looking gear. Where do they ship from? (is it the dreaded UK?)

If anyone in Dublin is ordering a rake of stuff and doesn't mind lashing one of these into their basket I'd fancy one for the turbo please!

https://www.ekoi.com/en/helmet-caps/10978-bandeau-ekoi-thermo-jaune-fluo-0400001097809.html
    What about this instead: https://galibier.cc/product/vu-headband/
    Cheaper plus free delivery (sent from Ireland) icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭G1032

France.

ekoi are French I think, could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

CramCycle wrote: »
    ekoi are French I think, could be wrong

Yep French, picked up some of their gear some years back at an Etape. Good quality for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've ordered XL baselayers from Ekoi the other year.

My wife wears them now, they're a bit loose fitting on her, but she's normally between 6 and 8, so XS-S in women's sizing.

Caveat emptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nice one. Ordered a few bits on Wednesday and they arrived today.

Sizing is similar to castelli so go up one size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Those mini pumps are the one thing I'd only go for well known brands for, ever since I got caught trying to pump a 23mm tire with a broken Lidl pump on a rainy morning

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Wheres the pump gone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thejaguar

What about this instead: https://galibier.cc/product/vu-headband/
    Cheaper plus free delivery (sent from Ireland) icon14.png

Ordered a couple of bits here on Friday - arrived today. Finally some cycling gear that isn't Crane Sports :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Castelli gloves, XXL only €24, down from €40- link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Ledlenser Headtorches in Lidl for €14.99
    They are the Headfire 120 model and come with 2 sets of AAA batteries.
    It is not a rechargeable version but very good quality with a beam you can focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭mosstin

New Galibier Mistral Pro jacket for £69 (great price for their winter jackets) now available on their site. Discount of £9.22 with code dualfront11 off the first 50. Bargain.

Edit: When added to the basket and applied the coupon, the price comes in at €89. Not sure why there's a discrepancy but still a good price for their gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The email is a bit confusing, the £69 seems to be for the original Mistral. The Mistral Pro is £84 with the £9.22 off so comes to £74.67 or €85 at today's rate. Currency conversion just seems a bit off which I haven't usually found to be the case with Galibier. I don't need it but might buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

mosstin wrote: »
    New Galibier Mistral Pro jacket for £69 (great price for their winter jackets) now available on their site. Discount of £9.22 with code dualfront11 off the first 50. Bargain.

Edit: When added to the basket and applied the coupon, the price comes in at €89. Not sure why there's a discrepancy but still a good price for their gear.

Price up to €101 now, and coupon doesn't work. While I love Galibier's clothing, this is expensive compared to what they used to charge. Guess I'll stick with my Mark 1 Mistral jacket that's 6 years old now but still does the job of keeping me warm and dry on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

D13exile wrote: »
    Price up to €101 now, and coupon doesn't work. While I love Galibier's clothing, this is expensive compared to what they used to charge. Guess I'll stick with my Mark 1 Mistral jacket that's 6 years old now but still does the job of keeping me warm and dry on the bike.

I noticed similar the other day when I was ordering some gear and thought I'll shop around at those prices they seem steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

D13exile wrote: »

Code is still working - got mine there for £74.67, I had isues with payment and mailed them and they asked me to pay in sterling and it worked and showing as €85.04 on my card.

Advertisement