Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shop in Dublin for cycling shoes

Options
  • 25-08-2020 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I need to replace my cycling shoes. I bought them with the bike in 2014 and while they’re in good nick, I think in my noob-iness back then, I didn’t appreciate that I should have shopped around instead of taking the ones offered by the bike shop. They’re Spiuk shoes with Velcro fasteners. The issue I’ve had with them is that I sometimes used to get a burning sensation in my left foot that meant getting off the bike and removing the shoe. Obvious cause was that the shoe is too narrow for my wide foot and a nerve was being pinched. I’ve since loosened the front Velcro strap considerably and this has helped but on long hot sweaty rides, the problem comes back as my foot expands.

So can someone please recommend a shoe brand that will cater for my size 9 wide foot and the best bricks and mortar shop in Dublin where I could buy them? I know they’d be cheaper online but I’d like to try them on to see if they’d fit and it would be cheeky to do so and then go buy them online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I must have a narrow foot because, of the 8 or 9 pairs of cycling shoes I own, the Spiuks would be my favourite pair. All the others feel a little wide but not enought to be a big deal.

Northwave, in my experience, tend to be the widest fitting. I bought mine in Humphries in Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Last time I was in Wheelworx they had a decent selection of shoes. And Cyclesuperstore too. I use Bont for slightly wider feet but bought them online. Oh and Specialized shop are okay too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Sidi do a wide fit shoe in a limited number of models, I bought a pair in CSS a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Northwave, in my experience, tend to be the widest fitting. I bought mine in Humphries in Finglas.

Same here and as someone with narrow feet this didn't work out too well for me!

OP, as a result I've a pair of Northwave Phantom Carbon shoes, size 9 that I bought a couple of years ago and keep forgetting to list for sale again. Hardly worn and happy to let them go very reasonably if you're interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've small widish feet. Find diadora shoes a good fit, but I've bought my pairs on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Same here and as someone with narrow feet this didn't work out too well for me!

OP, as a result I've a pair of Northwave Phantom Carbon shoes, size 9 that I bought a couple of years ago and keep forgetting to list for sale again. Hardly worn and happy to let them go very reasonably if you're interested.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-ph...bon-road-shoes

Hi

Your link didn't work but I've found the shoes (I think the same?) online. Is this them:
    https://www.cycletribe.ie/northwave-phantom-srs-road-shoes.html

I do have a wide foot and my Spiuks only work when I don't wear socks with them to give me a few more mms of room. Not a good idea in winter though!!

If your shoes are the same as the ones above, I might be interested. What colour are they and what would you want for them? And where are you based? PM me if you'd prefer

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Stay away from Shimano shoes, as they're quite narrow.
    Pity, cos the shoes are super in every other respect.

Apologies on the link, this one should work.

I'm in D5 but over the next 2 weeks (restrictions pending) I'll be in Galway and Dungarvan. Could easily post either.
    I'm pricing to sell and bias aside they're an absolute bargain at €50 :) I paid around £120 and hardly got to wear them because of the sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've small widish feet. Find diadora shoes a good fit, but I've bought my pairs on here.

You know of a good place to get them now? My diadora's fit me perfectly, but i'm finding it pretty difficult to find them online any more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm in D5 but over the next 2 weeks (restrictions pending) I'll be in Galway and Dungarvan.
    i've wondered whether D13exile is an exile *from* D13 or *in* D13.

• Advertisement

i've wondered whether D13exile is an exile *from* D13 or *in* D13.

Yep, I didn't know whether my location was going to seal the deal or sink it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

To answer your query gents, I am from Donaghmede originally and therefore I am exiled from D13!!

Mr. Spuckler, are you open to negotiation on those shoes if I was to meet you over there while I'm visiting de mammy this week/early next week? I've been told by the proposed new bike fitter (see my other thread about the woes I'm having with the ass/man bits) that the bike fit will cost me €250!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Maybe a small bit of movement on the price but not a huge amount. Discomfort issues aside I can't be giving them away :pac:
    I'll PM you now anyway to make sure I'll be around the days that you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

outfox wrote: »
    Stay away from Shimano shoes, as they're quite narrow.
    Pity, cos the shoes are super in every other respect.
    :confused:

I'd consider Shimano shoes to be of a poor quality. I've owned two pairs over the years and they had the shortest lifespan of any shoe I've had.

Advertisement