Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer Rights at GP Surgery

Options
  • 25-08-2020 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Do consumer rights apply to GP visits?
    I have recently been charged €25 by my GP for taking bloods ahead of surgery at hospital, he was to forward the blood to the hospital. On arrival at the hospital for surgery they informed me that they had not received the bloods from my GP and would have to do their own prior to me going in for the op.
    Am I entitled to a refund? I have called the surgery and been told by the receptionist that I won't be getting a refund. I have checked Citizens Advice but they mostly focus on making complaints for medical malpractice etc. I don't want to go down that road because I feel this is a consumer issue - I paid for a service that I did not receive and now I can't get money back.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course it is quite possible that he did do the bloods and the hospital somehow lost them or they were 'spoiled' or any one of half a dozen possibilities that no-one is going to admit to. While its very aggravating, and someone is at fault, I don't see how you would be able to prove anything one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

harryVon wrote: »
    Do consumer rights apply to GP visits?
    I have recently been charged €25 by my GP for taking bloods ahead of surgery at hospital, he was to forward the blood to the hospital. On arrival at the hospital for surgery they informed me that they had not received the bloods from my GP and would have to do their own prior to me going in for the op.
    Am I entitled to a refund? I have called the surgery and been told by the receptionist that I won't be getting a refund. I have checked Citizens Advice but they mostly focus on making complaints for medical malpractice etc. I don't want to go down that road because I feel this is a consumer issue - I paid for a service that I did not receive and now I can't get money back.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

7 years before making a post :eek: :pac:

as echoed by the previous poster, the Doctor could well have sent them and the hospital wont admit liability so pass the buck

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

If he took the bloods then that's the charge. What happened to them after he sent them off isnt really his fault i wouldnt think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 harryVon

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    7 years before making a post :eek: :pac:

That's not relevant, but thanks for your input anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

In most cases like this I find it’s the hospital at fault , normally bloods lost or results lost it happens quite regularly. My son needs bloods fairly regularly and certain hospitals are shocking inconsistent with admin.

• Advertisement

Telly wrote: »
    If he took the bloods then that's the charge. What happened to them after he sent them off isnt really his fault i wouldnt think?

The service I paid for was for bloods to be taken and with a view to having them sent to hospital in time for surgery, that didn't happen.

If you bought something from Amazon for example and didn't receive it, would the same apply? You paid for it, they sent it, what happens to it after that isn't their fault?? Or would you request a refund from the seller because you didn't receive what you paid for? Or you would take it up with the courier company/an post?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

The service I paid for was for bloods to be taken and with a view to having them sent to hospital in time for surgery, that didn't happen.

If you bought something from Amazon for example and didn't receive it, would the same apply? You paid for it, they sent it, what happens to it after that isn't their fault?? Or would you request a refund from the seller because you didn't receive what you paid for? Or you would take it up with the courier company/an post?

Chase up the hospital then! Your doc did what he was meant to do and charged you for the service. Should he be out of pocket because your bloods went missing in the hosp?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Your analogy doesn't fit.
    If you got photos taken and wanted them sent on to a framer for framing and they were mislaid by the framer you wouldn't have a case against the photographer.

Telly wrote: »
    Chase up the hospital then! Your doc did what he was meant to do and charged you for the service. Should he be out of pocket because your bloods went missing in the hosp?

I have asked the hospital and they said they didn't receive them. To use my Amazon example again, if the seller has sent it and you didn't receive it then the seller will refund you, so they are out of pocket regardless of having sent it or not. Its up to the seller then to chase up An Post or whoever to find out why the item didn't arrive and recoup their losses that way.
    I know its only €25 but it is aggravating to just have to suck it up because its a GP or the HSE.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Your analogy doesn't fit.
    If you got photos taken and wanted them sent on to a framer for framing and they were mislaid by the framer you wouldn't have a case against the photographer.

It does fit, in this case the "framer" is saying they didn't receive them from the "photographer" so my case is with the "photographer"? No?

• Advertisement

What exactly has the GPs office said?
    Did they admit that they hadn't sent it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

OP your GP did the work. You have no evidence he didnt send the bloods on as he should have. Yet your default position here is you should get a refund from the GP. Why?

You could get onto your GP and tell them what happened and ask if they send of bloods as they should have. You know, actually find out 1st. But no, you are assuming fault without evidence!

And as pointed out here, it is entirely plausible your P did do his job properly, as there is the possibility something went wrong after bloods were delivered to the hospital with processing or records etc. In fact on balance its more likely to be the hospital!

It sounds to me like you have a prior issue with your doctor and this incident is being seen subjectively by you, as reaffirming doctor as suspect. And no stranger in the internet could comment of how competent your unknow doctor and his surgery staff are.

But it is clear, you are judging the issue without evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It does fit, in this case the "framer" is saying they didn't receive them from the "photographer" so my case is with the "photographer"? No?

No its more like one of the many staff at the framers looked in a drawer and said, the frames are not here. Not that they were not delivered and mislaid, or are still to be processed etc.

now you are assuming the photographer didnt send them over, without even checking first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Why don't you just ask the GP what happened before going off into a dose of outrage. Must be very tiring.

Another thing... it's people like you that make organisations and people reluctant to admit a mistake. Quick to outrage. Quick to threaten legal action.

There are several reasons off hand I could think why the bloods were delayed for example. Stop living life assuming "somebody is at fault" and help fix processes. It's far less stressful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A good GP is worth their weight in gold. I've had one disagreement with my GP in 20 years.

If you value your GP, don't screw up your relationship with them beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

What on earth would the GP have to gain by not sending them?
    In my surgery a courier from the hospital collects them every day, so maybe there's the issue
    Also, a GP is not Amazon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

maxsmum wrote: »
    What on earth would the GP have to gain by not sending them?
    In my surgery a courier from the hospital collects them every day, so maybe there's the issue
    Also, a GP is not Amazon

€25 apparrantly :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I seriously believe you are going way over the top here. If you paid the GP to take bloods and send them to the hospital, AND you sat there while he stuck a needle in your arm and drew the blood, it is a bit crazy to say because the hospital claim they have not got them, it is the GP's fault.

It is unreasonable to say or think they did not do the job. I have had bloods disappear in Tallaght hospital, even though they were taken IN Tallaght hospital.

If you have not alienated the GP service, I think you should go back and politely explain they are saying they did not get them, can you please redo them. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

No, the GP did the work. So no incentive to bin the bloods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well actually no the use of the 1 time equipment needles, tubes with blood and the forms would eat that up so would not gain anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Well actually no the use of the 1 time equipment needles, tubes with blood and the forms would eat that up so would not gain anything

GP's are provided with everything for taking blood , including the anaysis itself, totally free of charge.

They have decided to make money out of other peoples work and the system allows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rock22 wrote: »
    GP's are provided with everything for taking blood , including the anaysis itself, totally free of charge.

They have decided to make money out of other peoples work and the system allows that.

Did the GP give the equipment to the op and ask him/her to draw blood in his/her own home?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are not paid for their time in actually drawing the blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »

so what is the €25 paying for?

Drawing the blood, the procedure.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Drawing the blood, the procedure.

so they are being paid for their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Surely the consultation fee is paying for their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

By the patient.

The person whinging about them charging was claiming they shouldn't charge the patient because they get the kit supplied by the HSE.
    Surely the consultation fee is paying for their time?

Frequently a blood draw is entirely separate to a consultation.

By the patient.

totally confused now. first you say they are not paid for their time now you say they are.

• Advertisement

totally confused now. first you say they are not paid for their time now you say they are.

It isn’t difficult. When you make an appointment to have blood drawn for a pre-surgery test, you are paying the GP for drawing the blood. This is usually a pretty quick procedure. How the GP arrives at that figure depends on what value they put on the procedure and time taken to do it.

Advertisement