Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you ever think of a product/business and think "how does this exist?"

Options
  • 25-08-2020 10:23am
    Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭

I'm a wantrepreneur. I have lots of ideas - never followed through. Thoughts run through my head like there isn't money there to make a business and I am probably right about them.

But then I was in the queue in a Lidl for example. I see all these glossy mags, loads of them. I don't ever see anyone buying them. How are they feasible?

I think it would take a lot of work each month to put a magazine together so lots of people to get paid.

I even saw one like "runners weekly" or monthly maybe. How many people are really into running that buy a magazine for 7 or 8 euro?

Let's say I never saw this magazine and came up with an idea for a running magazine. I would immediately say there is no market for it. That no one would pay 7 euro and it woudn't make money.

So, I wonder how these types of businesses are feasible. Or maybe the ideas I have that I think are unfeasible actually require less demand than I think?

And if you have any businesses you wonder how they make money, maybe others can respond how they think they can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Runners world shift over 60k copies per edition so running magazines definitely do pretty well. Most would probably be subs so going to be getting a big discount on the cover price. The more niche and specific a magazine the higher the advertising cost per reader. Running accessory companies probably spend a fortune advertising in running magazines rather than advertise in general health magazines where the competition for advertising space is going to be a lot higher. I've had dealings with a few magazines and seems like they're all run on very tight staffing levels very often it's been the same person who has been doing sales, copy and billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm a wantrepreneur. I have lots of ideas - never followed through. Thoughts run through my head like there isn't money there to make a business and I am probably right about them.

But then I was in the queue in a Lidl for example. I see all these glossy mags, loads of them. I don't ever see anyone buying them. How are they feasible?

I think it would take a lot of work each month to put a magazine together so lots of people to get paid.

I even saw one like "runners weekly" or monthly maybe. How many people are really into running that buy a magazine for 7 or 8 euro?

Let's say I never saw this magazine and came up with an idea for a running magazine. I would immediately say there is no market for it. That no one would pay 7 euro and it woudn't make money.

So, I wonder how these types of businesses are feasible. Or maybe the ideas I have that I think are unfeasible actually require less demand than I think?

And if you have any businesses you wonder how they make money, maybe others can respond how they think they can.

Glossy mags! They are not feasible. Good luck getting accurate circulation figures for them. Stay away from magazines and newspapers, they are a mixture of advertisements and propaganda propped up by billionaire hobbyists or corporations who are into other things and make money in a different sector. Who knows how the books are balanced.

Advertisement