Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended sites

Options
  • 25-08-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hey, a friend of mine wants to get a desktop that would be able to play the likes of Total War games & Football Manager on high settings. His budget is around 800 euro. These wouldnt be the most graphically demanding of games I dont think?

He said he wouldn't be confident on putting one together himself so Im just wondering, are there any sites that allow you pick out the parts and then assemble it for you?

If not, is there any recommended sites that dont charge an arm and a leg he could purchase a pre-built one from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

https://www.cclonline.com/

If he's in North Dublin I'm happy to put it together for him. Once KOKikki posts a build :pac:

The Total War: Warhammer games are pretty demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Best place I have found so far for prices and range is Casekings.de, they are nearly 100 euro cheaper on stuff then the likes off rip off OCUK who seem to charge a premium coz they are the "PLACE TO SHOP IF YOU A GAMER!" lol.

Just change the German to English and fill your boots! And they deliver to Ireland as confirmed by email just yesterday as I just ordered a Ryzen 9 Build

Anything of gotten from OCUK has been the same price as Amazon so i don't know where you got that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Best place I have found so far for prices and range is Casekings.de, they are nearly 100 euro cheaper on stuff then the likes off rip off OCUK who seem to charge a premium coz they are the "PLACE TO SHOP IF YOU A GAMER!" lol.

Just change the German to English and fill your boots! And they deliver to Ireland as confirmed by email just yesterday as I just ordered a Ryzen 9 Build

I don't think they're trying to rip you off - they're just getting hammered by the UK-Euro exchange rates & trade deals.

Anything of gotten from OCUK has been the same price as Amazon so i don't know where you got that from.

I just spent the last 2 weeks looking all over the internet for my rig I ordered, that where I got it from. You be amazed how much dearer they are for ALOT of stuff.

MSI RTX 280 Trio:

OCUK:- £799 STERLING
    Casekings.de:- €772 EURO

Ryzen 9 3900X also alot cheaper, about €50-70 difference on most of the stuff I wanted incld Asus Crosshair VIII Hero and RAM.

Thats some difference! Granted Exchange rates play a small part but they know how to charge!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-super-gaming-x-trio-8192mb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35l-ms.html

https://www.caseking.de/en/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-super-gaming-x-trio-8192-mb-gddr6-gcmc-232.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Germany reduced their VAT from 19% to 16% over the Covid crisis

so this may play into the cheaper prices we are seeing in Germany lately

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

kingtiger wrote: »
    Germany reduced their VAT from 19% to 16% over the Covid crisis

so this may play into the cheaper prices we are seeing in Germany lately
    Taxman is allowed to raise it back to 21% for imports though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

OCUK do have some bafflingly **** prices on certain things. I like them, but some of their prices are so out there, I just couldn't.

At times, their Ryzen CPU's were £50 more expensive than Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Macker1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

How much is their shipping to Ireland and what are the shipping options ?

Macker1 wrote: »
    How much is their shipping to Ireland and what are the shipping options ?

You can choose four main couriers off the top of my head they are GLS, UPS, UPS Express and DHL. And the delivery fee is €14 euro all the way up to €53 for UPS Express!

That charge was for about 10 items from a large case to CPUs, MBs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Macker1

Looking to purchase a GPU to finish off a new self build done over the last few months. Am holding off till the new 3000 series launch hoping for some price reductions in the current cards. Was looking at a 2070 Super at around €550 but could push budget a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AWD-IT is another that people seem to like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

https://www.cclonline.com/

If he's in North Dublin I'm happy to put it together for him. Once KOKikki posts a build :pac:

The Total War: Warhammer games are pretty demanding.

To add to this, I think they're also quite CPU intensive and benefit from multicore CPU's. I'm open to correction though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OCUK is apparently a subsidiary of Casekings.de
    "Caseking, Germany's best online PC retailer, proudly presents 8Pack Systems from Caseking's subsidiary Overclockers UK"
    https://www.caseking.de/en/8pack-orion-x2-i9-10980xe-4-6-ghz-i7-10700k-5-0-ghz-extreme-oc-system-sipc-264.html
    If they are buying in Euro then converting to STG then comverting back to Euro things are bound to get expensive.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a GPU to finish off a new self build done over the last few months. Am holding off till the new 3000 series launch hoping for some price reductions in the current cards. Was looking at a 2070 Super at around €550 but could push budget a little higher.

Hold off at this stage, I just bought a complete Ryzen 9 3900x build and emailed and cancelled my monitor and GPU. Absolutely no sense for me dropping €850 on a card with the new ones on Sept 1, its a win win tbh.

From what I read today on multiple reputable sites the new RTX3080 (not even the flagship 3090) is 15-25% faster then a 2080ti. Which is crazy if the RTX3080 is priced at the RUMOURED but creditable $800. With the RTX3070 offering performance on par with the 2080ti for $600.....

Be absolutely brilliant if true....3090 too rich for me but I would bag a RTX3080 in a heart beat.

Advertisement