Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home generator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

jamesd wrote: »
    Ive been using the power meter as it arrived Monday, really handy to get the startup /running Watts of items.
    I tested it on a 100W bulb first to make sure it was close to accurate, my well water pump is 1000W when pumping, Kettle is 2200W so will not be used on the generator at all, Freezer is low - runs at about 70W and lower most of the time, just need to check my internet equipment next as it runs off 2 UPS's and then lastly my pump on the stove as that's really all Id want to run apart from one or two house lights.

Waiting on the Electrician still to wire me up to the house.

Those are running currents anything with a motor will have a much higher starting current. Your freezer might draw 500 Watts or more at start up and you water pump 3000 Watts. This will only occur for a second or less at startup but you do need a bit of spare power on the system to account for it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

aE8FrwG.jpg

synchronising 4kva on the test bench. yer not still burning dinosaurs are yee?
    jaysus...that's not efficient waiting 1000s of years for fuel deeeep underground is it?

mine's charged in less than a day with sunlight and sends the rest to the house and the grid after that. smells great too and i can hear myself think beside it. 80% round trip too. a little less if yer running sticky loads and low pf...what isn't. the idles not bad. 0.02 horse power no load.

I'm getting started on a bigger fuel tank. This one smells pretty good too.

IYdV33l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I'm getting started on a bigger fuel tank. This one smells pretty good too.

IYdV33l.jpg

Would you document your build in a separate thread? I’d be interested to see what you have going on!!im sure others would too

This is an interesting dilema. Do I try to protect my intellectual property so I can become a thousandaire and corner the market or do I open source so everyone can contribute and benefit from it.

In my not vast experience the ideas I'm trying to protect are not that good in the first place and the feedback is invaluable.
    Besides we're all breathing the same atmosphere.
    Patents are the enemy of progress.

Zing

Plenty of trade secrets I'm not mentioning. Sure, anyone can understand the principles. That doesn't mean they can build it and get the same results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

No, sparks supposed to come to me this week so hopefully.

Fitted this on the battery, shows me it's level and makes it very easy to charge.

What did the generator cost to buy and install?

I'm looking at getting one. Have 3 chest freezers which I can't afford to defrost if I have a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

What did the generator cost to buy and install?

I'm looking at getting one. Have 3 chest freezers which I can't afford to defrost if I have a power cut

https://ige.ie/pacini-7-5kva-silent-diesel-generator-electric-start/
    Cost €1300.
    Still waiting for it to be installed, my local sparks is busy for another 2 weeks and I want to wait on him to do the work as he wired my house and garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cost €1300.
    Still waiting for it to be installed, my local sparks is busy for another 2 weeks and I want to wait on him to do the work as he wired my house and garage.

Sir Liamalot would run his whole house off the starter battery and throw away the generator :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

Ah...have done....it was that or not see the finale of Breaking Bad.

House was a van at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

This is an interesting dilema. Do I try to protect my intellectual property so I can become a thousandaire and corner the market or do I open source so everyone can contribute and benefit from it.

In my not vast experience the ideas I'm trying to protect are not that good in the first place and the feedback is invaluable.
    Besides we're all breathing the same atmosphere.
    Patents are the enemy of progress.

Zing

Plenty of trade secrets I'm not mentioning. Sure, anyone can understand the principles. That doesn't mean they can build it and get the same results.

I’ll have a read of that this evening, cheers! No need to worry about me stealing any ideas, I’m just a sparks/engineer quite obsessed with electricity 😂

• Advertisement

Well I stole a lottov them from other sparks/engineers/suck it and seers. As I say we're all breathing the same atmosphere.

Cost €1300.

A serious bit of kit. What's installation costing?

A serious bit of kit. What's installation costing?

Not sure but I would guess €300 or €400 max - only guessing.

Silent diesel 68dB @ 7m (standard measure is 1m)

ExhaustedSlimyGonolek-max-1mb.gif

I've 12kVa pushing 30dB....fan noise...they rarely get hot enough to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

how much is a 12KVA battery Genny from you!

tehehehe...time or money?

I'm doing 4kVAs sychronising standalones. Modularity is deadly. RRP would be eye watering....I wheel and deal so I haven't paid much for them but to charge for them new with warranties would be near €10k per

83DTC7H.jpg

Back-up has been online standing by for 4 days now. 0 extra dB coming from the powerplant.
    The sun refilled the fuel tank for me.
    I'll turn it off in a week or two when I'm finished testing it.

No dino juice.

Cost €1300.

HI James, did you get the change over switch installed and all tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭vmware

HI James, did you get the change over switch installed and all tested?

• Advertisement

HI James

did you get the genny installed and setup ?

all going ok

Mine's still running...the fuel tank hasn't run out yet.
    Sometimes I go off grid just to be trendy..:p

I'm finally up and going, 11 months later as was waiting on my local sparks to do this job and couldn't get him until today.

Here is the new changeover switch in the fuse box, didnt get my led fitted today to show me if the mains was back so that will have to done again.
    I was doing another job a few weeks ago and had to dig the tarmac up between my house and garage to lay some network cables and while I was at it I rang the generator power cabled between the house and the garage underground in some piping so it came out over the house fuse box and inside my garage.

Powercable ran is 3 x 4 mm2, pic attached, ran it this evening and only tiny voltage drop over the cable so happy with that - ran the full house with no issues.

Had out first power cut this evening, power was out for 3hrs and it was great to be able to just plug in and switch on the generator and have full power in the house again.

What did the spark charge you?

Nothing as yet, I asked to pay and he said he would send me on the bill in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Still no bill from my sparks. Have used the generator for 4 hours about 2 weekends ago - ran house with no issues.

Advertisement