Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a Saorview box that acts like Sky Plus

• 25-08-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I've read loads of threads here and I still can't see an answer.

I'm looking for a Saorview box that will have a
    • 7 Day EPG (or more)
    • Series Link
    • Built in Harddrive

Will a humax Freeview box like this work in Ireland
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Humax-hdr-fox-t2-freeview-box/114371421361?hash=item1aa11164b1:g:RkoAAOSw-u9fQhGS

I know the Walker HD PVR would do this but they're not available any more. I'm not looking at the Combo as far as I can tell it doesn't come with a Hardrive and there is no series link.

Thanks for any help, it's for my mother so the simpler the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Short answer is yes. Any of the Linux based enigma2 boxes like the zgemma h7s or similar. They all have a 7 day TV guide, and built-in HDD. Series link as you know it isn't available in anything other than sky but something very similar called autotimers is. You basically tell it the criteria in which to record. I.e record all episodes of Coronation Street on Virgin media 1 any day of the week between 19:00-23:00 that have a unique description. This will catch them all. Hope that explains it

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

DopeTech wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. Any of the Linux based enigma2 boxes like the zgemma h7s or similar. They all have a 7 day TV guide, and built-in HDD. Series link as you know it isn't available in anything other than sky but something very similar called autotimers is. You basically tell it the criteria in which to record. I.e record all episodes of Coronation Street on Virgin media 1 any day of the week between 19:00-23:00 that have a unique description. This will catch them all. Hope that explains it

Thanks for the answer but that doesn't sound like what I'm looking the autotimers is fine when it works but when shows overrun or the schedule changes it messes it up . It's a long time since I used them maybe they have improved.

The series link (very similar) function is important and it is available outside of Sky Boxes in the Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR Box

I know as I have one of them it's old but still works fine.

The Humax Freeview box does that but unsure it will pick up Saorview channels and I can't find he Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR Box for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It is possible to add a default padding before and after an autotimer to allow for overruns. Sometimes they will catch bigger schedule changes but only if the broadcaster such as BBC sends a suitable update signal during the show. Sadly these days due to cutbacks, this happens less and less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Dymo wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer but that doesn't sound like what I'm looking the autotimers is fine when it works but when shows overrun or the schedule changes it messes it up . It's a long time since I used them maybe they have improved.

The series link (very similar) function is important and it is available outside of Sky Boxes in the Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR Box

I know as I have one of them it's old but still works fine.

The Humax Freeview box does that but unsure it will pick up Saorview channels and I can't find he Walker WP6500TTR Saorview+ PVR Box for sale

I seen one in Redmond's Gorey for sale, give them a ring

Advertisement