Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private insurance on van for young driver

• 25-08-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I am a 22 year old male currently with a provisional license, but I am looking to get insured when I get my full licence, without a NCB. I'm trying to find a way to get insured on a van for myself, as I am looking to convert one into a camper for trips around the country.

Camper insurance seems to be a no go, as anywhere I've found that offers it only does so for over 25s.

I have found some offers from XS Direct for various vans, yet it seems to recognize the license plate as the van's personal model, for example a Nissan NV400 van came up as a 9 seater minibus when I entered the reg, despite currently being a commercial panel van. Would this make the quote from XS invalid?

I was able to get a few quotes from XS through Chill for some medium 1.6L vans as well, but I believe some of those were also being recognised as the non-commercial models.

Is there any other suggestions for how to get around this issue? Or should I just go with the biggest estate car I can get insured on and throw a mattress in the back. :D I would potentially be willing to go with XS if the quotes they were giving were valid for the vehicles I had put in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Under a declaration on any motor policy you will be asked "has this vehicle been modified in any way". If converting a standard van into a camper van for the purposes of touring it will be difficult to get insured and at a minimum you would need to provide a DOE and likely an engineers report confirming any conversions have been done to appropriate safety standards, doing this and insuring it as a private vehicle will be nigh on impossible.

My suggestion would be pass your test, get insured on a small car, earn some NCD and look at getting legit campervan insurance when you turn 25.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

May be a VRT issue too on conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Under a declaration on any motor policy you will be asked "has this vehicle been modified in any way". If converting a standard van into a camper van for the purposes of touring it will be difficult to get insured and at a minimum you would need to provide a DOE and likely an engineers report confirming any conversions have been done to appropriate safety standards, doing this and insuring it as a private vehicle will be nigh on impossible.

My suggestion would be pass your test, get insured on a small car, earn some NCD and look at getting legit campervan insurance when you turn 25.

Do you know if minor changes to the interior load space would be allowed, as they wouldn't require a modifications report according to the CVRT guidelines. For example some cabinets, a bed frame, insulation, venting etc.

May be a VRT issue too on conversion.

Are you referring to road-worthiness or registration taxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Do you know if minor changes to the interior load space would be allowed, as they wouldn't require a modifications report according to the CVRT guidelines. For example some cabinets, a bed frame, insulation, venting etc.

They arent minor changes because they are completely changing the purpose of and use of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Are you referring to road-worthiness or registration taxes?

The latter. Maybe it's VAT?

The latter. Maybe it's VAT?

After more research yesterday I see what may be an issue. Reclassifying a commercial vehicle to a camper does require VRT payment of 13% or so of OMSP. I am hoping to keep the van registered as commercial but I am not 100% sure of the legality.

Advertisement