Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants a new lease signed.

Options
  • 25-08-2020 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

I've been renting a property for nearly two years, lease expires in early October. I was hoping that by now, I would be in a position to buy but I'm not quite there yet and it will be another few months at least.

I notified the landlord (giving the months notice) that I would like to continue renting here under part 4 but he is insisting on a new lease being signed and wants to know how long I want the agreement to be. The answer is that I honestly don't know and I'd prefer not to sign a lease and to continue on Part 4 giving the 56 days notice when it comes to needing to leave.

I'm not sure how to approach this, he's not the kindest of landlords and I don't want to give him any reasons to put me out.

Any advice would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

cb123 wrote: »
    I notified the landlord (giving the months notice) that I would like to continue renting here under part 4 but he is insisting on a new lease being signed and wants to know how long I want the agreement to be.
    Notified them of what?

As far as I'm aware, you are already a part 4 tenant because you've been at the property more than six months. You are also subject to a lease because you signed it. As long as that lease doesn't contain any stipulations regarding what happens when it expires, you should be able to transition straight to a part 4 arrangement like you want without doing anything.

Your landlord mightn't be too happy about that, but with the current tenancy laws and eviction ban he mighn't be able to do much about it legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

guyfawkes5 wrote: »
    Notified them of what?

According to Citizens Information you need to notify your landlord:

If you have a fixed-term contract or lease and you want to remain in the property under the rights acquired under Part 4, you must notify your landlord of your intention to stay in the property. You must do this between 3 months and 1 month before your fixed–term tenancy or lease agreement expires.

I'll have a look at the original lease and hopefully I can convince him he doesn't need a new one. I think it's going to be tough though, when I first moved in I signed a two year lease, I noticed then that the backdoor was rotten and frame was coming apart from the wall. He "repaired" it with expanding foam (which didn't work) and I suggested that maybe we could get a second hand replacement door and build a frame to which he replied. "This will do, you don't have to live here forever" - fun times, I've since never asked him for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

If anyone has any suggestions on how to communicate this to him in a clear and concise manner, I would be extremely grateful. Thankfully this is being done by text so I have time to respond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

We are in the same position ourselves. We are two years in our rental. Didn't sign a lease again in the second year. Landlords contacted on June and by email we said we would stay another year. We have signed nothing. We are sale agreed and it is beyond painfully slow. Despite the house we are buying being vacant. We will give 56 days notice when we get a closing date and they can deal. They literally emailed and asked did we want to stay after we had sent across the next rent (lease ended July 31st). We said sure, rent is gone across. There was no discussion of increasing it, although now the 2 years are up they are within their rights. I would have left this property if they wanted more though.

I will mention again though, if you're not ready to buy yet and as we head into an uncertain winter with covid 2.0 hanging over us, it might easily take you a good 12 months to get a sale over the line. WFH has thrown up all kinds of issues regarding the sales process and covid impact on finances has meant some banks being very very sticky about lending. We are the unicorn two public sector no chain FTB and area honestly at the end of our wits trying to get a sale over the line. The landlord can take us to PTRB if they don't like the eventual notice given... I couldn't care less at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cb123 wrote: »
    I notified the landlord (giving the months notice) that I would like to continue renting here under part 4 but he is insisting on a new lease being signed and wants to know how long I want the agreement to be. The answer is that I honestly don't know and I'd prefer not to sign a lease and to continue on Part 4 giving the 56 days notice when it comes to needing to leave.
    The advantage of a house; you don't need the landlords reference if you break your lease. How much in demand is rentals in your current area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

Call Threshold they will advise

https://www.threshold.ie/

As far as I know he can’t bully you into signing anything as a part 4 tenant

Ask them what to do, they may say to ref the LL to them or the PTRB

You are on solid ground as far as I know, double check though

Advertisement