Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with No-Neutral light switch.

• 25-08-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭

I've installed this switch
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZ0WySI

Straightforward install and it synced up fine with the smartlife app and everything initially appeared fine.

However now it's randomly switching on/off.
    Any idea what might be up?
    Wiring is all good, so all I can assume is either a switch or capacitor issue?

Anyone with other ideas or a clue what to check would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

What kind of light is it connected to, there is normal a min load required with these, and the bub must be dimable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What kind of light is it connected to, there is normal a min load required with these, and the bub must be dimable

5w is the minimum load but this particular one is connected to a ceiling light with three 5w LEDs.
    Dimmable? Are you sure on that even for just on/off control and no stepping or dimmer in the module?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

banie01 wrote: »
    5w is the minimum load but this particular one is connected to a ceiling light with three 5w LEDs.
    Dimmable? Are you sure on that even for just on/off control and no stepping or dimmer in the module?

No neutral switches normally require dimmable bulbs, they can't switch off the circuit or they won't be able to remain connected to your WiFi so they just dim the circuit until bulb is essentially off but switch still has enough power to remain connected to WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

banie01 wrote: »
    I've installed this switch
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZ0WySI

Straightforward install and it synced up fine with the smartlife app and everything initially appeared fine.

However now it's randomly switching on/off.
    Any idea what might be up?
    Wiring is all good, so all I can assume is either a switch or capacitor issue?

Anyone with other ideas or a clue what to check would be appreciated.

Someone of the reviews mention removing the Rx part of the 433 MHz part as EMI Causes them to Randomly turn on and off they mention the support told them to.

Also states to not use dimmable lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

emaherx wrote: »
    No neutral switches normally require dimmable bulbs, they can't switch off the circuit or they won't be able to remain connected to your WiFi so they just dim the circuit until bulb is essentially off but switch still has enough power to remain connected to WiFi.

I've a no neutral (sonoff) connected to non dimmable; just a normal led driver. The supplied capacitor trickles the power "around" the driver to power the switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

kenmc wrote: »
    I've a no neutral (sonoff) connected to non dimmable; just a normal led driver. The supplied capacitor trickles the power "around" the driver to power the switch

I stand corrected, would seem to be the way for the one in the link as it states that it is supplied with the capacitor and dosen't support dimmable bulbs..

What I said was certainly true of these types switches in the recent past, but I guess things change frequently.

Thanks for the input folks.

I'm leaning towards it being the 433mhz issue, as when I pair it to the WiFi I get random switching on/off.
    If I unpair and reset it, it functions fine as a manual switch.

Will take a good read through the reviews later and see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

There's a very similar looking switch on Amazon . You should check out those reviews too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it's a flecketing rather than on for a while then read this

I LumoS light switches are compatible with most LED light bulbs, including GU10 bulbs and can work with as little as 3 Watts up to 700 Watts per Gang. The switches are also suitable to be used with all halogen and fluorescent light bulbs. The switches can also work with LED lights bulbs as low as 3 Watts with the use of our LED adapters which will be provided free of charge if needed. Our LED adapters are designed to eliminate flickering in 99% of flickering issues. Please note that if the adapters are required they are not needed for every LED light, only 1 per circuit.

https://hartingtonheath.com/product/i-lumos-luxury-white-crystal-glass-panel-touch-dimmer-led-light-switches/

Basically there is a snubber you can get the allow some current to flow and stop the LED's from flickering

I replaced the capacitor and it's working fine now.
    So my diagnosis is, original cap was leaking current.

Switch is running perfectly fine now and is quite a useful addition.
    My kitchen opens into my living room via a 2.5mtr opening and forgetting to turn off the kitchen light can mean getting out of the comfy couch...
    Not anymore! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement