Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Plant Recommendation

Options
  • 25-08-2020 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Want to get a fairly large indoor plant for the corner of my kitchen.

aJNLdwqm.jpg

I've never grown one before so could do with some recommendations.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

A large bamboo palm would look great there
    The orchard garden centre had them about 5tf high. Not cheap (80 odd euro) but I have one and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A large bamboo palm would look great there
    The orchard garden centre had them about 5tf high. Not cheap (80 odd euro) but I have one and love it

Thanks for that. Are they easy enough to grow? They wouldn't suffer in a kitchen (with steam from cooking etc) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Looks very dark in the corner. Does it get much natural light ?

A Kentia Palm does fine in medium light afaik. Would need some natural light tho

okedoke wrote: »

A Kentia Palm does fine in medium light afaik. Would need some natural light tho

Not a huge amount. The kitchen door that leads to the back garden is the nearest it gets to natural light.

CtI80z0m.jpg

okedoke wrote: »

Description of the plant on Johnstown Garden Centre website:
    "The plant flourishes indoors . It is a true shade-lover, so avoid direct sunlight"

Sounds like it may be suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Are they easy enough to grow? They wouldn't suffer in a kitchen (with steam from cooking etc) ?

I water it once a week. The steam would actually help.( lack of moisture in the air is the real killer of most house plants) I've found it one of the easier plant to keep in my house.
    When I say steam is ok, I mean moisture in the air from general home cooking shouldn't cause to any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've a kentia palm in my sitting room, kind of in the corner like that.

I make sure its watered and its leaves are misted.

Woodies, or other home stores or even Dunnes, Lidl or Aldi carry them and they are cheaper than garden centre, but I often find the quality in garden centre can be better.

One of the upsides for me of the working from home is making sure my houseplants are cared for. I love looking after them.

Advertisement