Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Installation

• 25-08-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

So the Sky installer arrived today and pretty much immediately told me he couldn't do anything as he wasn't insured to go on roofs. He then had a look around and suggested that he put the dish on a building 20m away from the back of my house on another street and run a cable across a flat roof. Spoke to Sky and they've outsourced installations to these cowboys and it'll be weeks before an "access team" are available.

Are there still independent Sky installers out there like there used to be or does everything have to go through these clowns? I'm in Waterford city centre.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

So the Sky installer arrived today and pretty much immediately told me he couldn't do anything as he wasn't insured to go on roofs. He then had a look around and suggested that he put the dish on a building 20m away from the back of my house on another street and run a cable across a flat roof. Spoke to Sky and they've outsourced installations to these cowboys and it'll be weeks before an "access team" are available.

Are there still independent Sky installers out there like there used to be or does everything have to go through these clowns? I'm in Waterford city centre.

TIA

Is the building he wanted to use part of your property?

A 20m cable run isn't a problem as far as the satellite system goes, notwithstanding any other conerns you may have.

You can always get an independent installer to fit a dish, LNB and cabling but you will have to pay for this yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Is the building he wanted to use part of your property?

A 20m cable run isn't a problem as far as the satellite system goes, notwithstanding any other conerns you may have.

You can always get an independent installer to fit a dish, LNB and cabling but you will have to pay for this yourself.

The building he wanted to use isn't my property. It was the back wall of a building on a parallel street. He would have had to trespass on the roofs of two buildings to mount the dish and run the cable.

I have no issue paying for the work but my question was regarding Sky registered independent installers. Do they still exist?

There's no point getting the work done if Sky won't connect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Some muppets if they cant stick up a sky dish as they should all have insurance.If you have a Freesat box you will need a hybrid lnb if you want to use an enigma2 box at a later date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The building he wanted to use isn't my property. It was the back wall of a building on a parallel street. He would have had to trespass on the roofs of two buildings to mount the dish and run the cable.

I have no issue paying for the work but my question was regarding Sky registered independent installers. Do they still exist?

There's no point getting the work done if Sky won't connect me.

Why would you think sky won't connect you?

Lots of people that sign up for sky will be in properties with some sort of existing satellite system, from fully working to just a dish. Sky want new customers, they supply the Q box/viewing card anyway, they won't turn away a fresh contract because you have gone to the trouble of doing the installation work for them. The sky installer certainly won't care if you have already forked out for a working setup, less work for him and a dish, lnb and cabling billed to sky he can flog on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Why would you think sky won't connect you?

Lots of people that sign up for sky will be in properties with some sort of existing satellite system, from fully working to just a dish. Sky want new customers, they supply the Q box/viewing card anyway, they won't turn away a fresh contract because you have gone to the trouble of doing the installation work for them. The sky installer certainly won't care if you have already forked out for a working setup, less work for him and a dish, lnb and cabling billed to sky he can flog on ebay.

Sky told me they won't connect me if I get the work done independently. And that if there are subsequent issues they won't be responsible for rectifying them. Hence my original question. Are there any independent Sky installers apart from this company that handles most of their installations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hi,
    Independent installers do still exist; there are many self employed registered legitimate businesses around,
    If I was you I'd log on to free TV and purchase a hybrid lnb as suggested then have a search on Google for local terrestrial TV and satellite installers they generally do terrestrial TV satellite and CCTV,
    They may not have a hybrid lnb in stock themselves;
    But if you provide one then they will fit it,
    By fitting a hybrid lnb then you have more future options for Freesat as well as sky themselves without the bother of getting someone in again.
    I had a local independent replace my dish on the chimney; also fitted a cap on my chimney and fitted an octo lnb to the dish, I use it for Freesat boxes, I've run two satellite feeds to four rooms.

Sky can then arrive and fit the box to the cables which the previous independent has installed.

Advertisement