Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lifespan of oil burner

• 25-08-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My Bentone burner Sterling 40 ST108P (Gas Oil) seems to be on the way out.
    It's about 15 years old now. I usually clean out the Firebird boiler each year and change the burner nozzle.
    I'm no expert and had a heating guy check it last year, and he changed the solenoid.

However, I can't get it to come on (ignite) at the moment.
    Unfortunately, it's in a very damp environment, basement shed, which gets little ventilation, even though I leave the door open.
    I took the burner off the boiler mount to let it get some air into it (powered off) and used a dehumidifier in the shed for a couple of days.
    I then tried putting the heating on, then the power switch in the shed on.

I had to press the reset button and it then came on (ignited).
    Anyway, I put the burner back on the boiler and run the heating for an hour.
    Next day, won't come on, tried the reset button 3 times.

To cut a long story short, I'm thinking of just replacing the burner.
    Has it reached the end of it's lifespan after 15 years?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

I too have a 15 year old Firebird but with a Riello G5X burner which has never and i mean never failed on flame failure in this time.
    Its idle from May to September but I might occasionally fire it up in this period and I always clean the electrodes including the insulators around this time, not familiar with your burner but if you can access the electrodes without removing them then wipe them clean with a dry cloth as your problem is more than likely spark related, you should/get checked out the electrode gap as well even though mine has never needed adjustment. I expect my burner to outlive my heat pac enclosure..... so another 5 years or so, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

could be lots of things really

but the first thing you need to do is rule out fuel contamination as the cause of failure ie water in tank

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seb Dangerfield

jimf wrote: »
    could be lots of things really

but the first thing you need to do is rule out fuel contamination as the cause of failure ie water in tank

Don't think that's a problem, think its wear and tear and 15 years in a damp boiler house.
    Think I'll bite the bullet and just replace the burner.

Any opinions on which burner to go for, another Bentone or Relio ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Second the relio burners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tom44

48 years old

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote: »

48 years old

jaysus tom that's like a massey ferguson

Don't think that's a problem, think its wear and tear and 15 years in a damp boiler house.
    Think I'll bite the bullet and just replace the burner.

Any opinions on which burner to go for, another Bentone or Relio ?

would you not consider a new boiler instead

you are talking about 300eu at least to buy a new burner and then even if you fit it yourself you still have to get it set up properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seb Dangerfield

jimf wrote: »
    would you not consider a new boiler instead

you are talking about 300eu at least to buy a new burner and then even if you fit it yourself you still have to get it set up properly

I think you're right, might as well do it properly and get an efficient condenser boiler.
    Also the motorised drives and heat controls probably need replacing.

I need to look into the different options with various SEAI grants!

do you have an option to move the boiler from its present location

maybe an outdoor grant vortex would be possible to fit ??

with a he boiler you have to realise the flue presently in use if high level wont suffice

also condensate will have to be considered

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I think you're right, might as well do it properly and get an efficient condenser boiler.
    Also the motorised drives and heat controls probably need replacing.

I need to look into the different options with various SEAI grants!
    If your basement is below ground level, you'll most likely need a condensate pump for a HE boiler.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement