Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

How do I find the wind speed and direction while in-game? If I'm flying the Cessna 152 to some uncontrolled airport, I want to try and land into the wind, if possible, but tuning the airport may not give me weather readings. I know you can see the weather information when you're putting in your flight plan, or at least basic windspeed and direction, but surely real pilots of small aircraft need to check the wind while in a flight, and I'm just wondering what ways there are to do that in a Cessna in the sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there a torrent or mirror link to the liveries pack? Whatever site is being used is going to take hours to download :(

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

There are a good amount of add ons now available.

Sim market and Aerosoft have some up. Aerosoft have Paderborn up for free. Washington and Moscow monuments, Dallas Airport, Bristol Airport, Miami and Vienna airports and a few others. Correct me if i'm wrong but the C182 on marketplace appears to be the only Aircraft available as of yet.

Aerosoft plan on having the CRJ out before Christmas and then then CRJ team will move onto the Airbus A320 family while the other team work on the Twin Otter. They expanded to two teams lately as previously they could only work on one aircraft at a time. They also said with regards airports, the Mega Airport range is being worked on also at the moment. Unfortunately it appears PMDG wont have the 737 ready realistically until Q2 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Is there a torrent or mirror link to the liveries pack? Whatever site is being used is going to take hours to download :(

There’s now an installer available for it, so you can pick and choose what liveries you want. I think the pack is now around 400 liveries, no way anyone would want all of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Started messing about on FSEconomy ,only done a handful of flights with it yet but its pretty cool.
    I would recommend for sure, gives your flights a reason apart from sight seeing,picking up jobs to ship cargo, passengers etc makes it a more enjoyable and immersive experience.
    Might try out OnAir too, seems more in depth with skill trees and progression but its subscription based but does look a very professionally run set up.

I must admit this has taken over Truck Simulator as my goto chillout infront of the PC, never thought id see the day :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

Attempted the (rough) addition of Croke Park to Dublin, thought the results were decent from above. Could do with adding some more lights and improving the terraforming surrounding it.

w3Ebu6e.jpeg

nGjWcbJ.jpeg

Thats the job! You should include a few others like the second poolbeg chimney and the aviva and spire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

There's a decent looking Dublin city add on out

Couldn't find the difficulty settings for ages until I realised it was on the home screen haha. Doing ATC and checklist manually now. I like that checklist has the option of a visual hint.

I just wish I had a second screen for those windows as they're quite bulky even when resized. More enjoyable starting from the gate or parked.

• Advertisement

So i bought Smoothtrack app from the google playstore [first bought app ever] and its so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Dcully wrote: »
    So i bought Smoothtrack app from the google playstore [first bought app ever] and its so worth it.

Big time. Total game changer. I didnt think it would be as good as it is.

An app for phone or tablet with a live map i think would be more useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Someone made a toolkit for importing FS2020 base models into Blender, meaning that painting textures directly onto the 3D model is now an option.
    The result? Perfectly straight lines on the fuselage on UV maps that often curve, bending the lines. And MUCH faster work. My Aer Lingus A320 paintjob took a solid 8 hours to create, once I was up to speed with the new method, this new paint took only 30 minutes.

ICxadqu.png

bBm1uhf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

Have to say that the amount of free scenery being released by the MSFA community over the last few weeks has been mighty impressive. Only problem is that it'll probably get to the stage where you won't have a hard disk big enough to hold it all. I wonder if MS and Asobo can open a channel where users can submit their creations directly to MS servers for approval/optimisation and it can be streamed much as the current default scenery is? Some kind of centralised experience like that is going to end up being necessary, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Someone made a toolkit for importing FS2020 base models into Blender, meaning that painting textures directly onto the 3D model is now an option.
    The result? Perfectly straight lines on the fuselage on UV maps that often curve, bending the lines. And MUCH faster work. My Aer Lingus A320 paintjob took a solid 8 hours to create, once I was up to speed with the new method, this new paint took only 30 minutes.
    If anyone who's halfway decent with an image editor and Blender (plenty of other youtube tutorials if you've never used it) wants to give making a paintjob a try for themselves, I've made a semi-beginner tutorial on how to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Any word on Helicopters yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Updated the game yesterday and now anytime I go to fly the A320 Neo engine one keeps shutting itself down shortly after I start it up. No idea whats going on. Seems I'm not alone either.

EDIT:- Workaround seem to be to leave the APU on all the time

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

.G. wrote: »
    Updated the game yesterday and now anytime I go to fly the A320 Neo engine one keeps shutting itself down shortly after I start it up. No idea whats going on. Seems I'm not alone either.

EDIT:- Workaround seem to be to leave the APU on all the time

Same problem, thought I was doing something wrong somewhere!

Also noticed that the left side primary flight display switches off randomly or just doesnt turn on at all. A320 Neo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah I didn't notice it at first, buried my departure from Dublin into the M50 and hadn't a clue why :D .On the second attempt I heard the engine powering down. I've had other issues too since the update, loading into the cockpit and none of the switches do anything! They seem to have borked it badly. Patch soon I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Which version would you buy?

Is there a basic version of the HQ airports if you buy the basic version? Like Heathrow and I don't have to spend twice as much to land there and do 90% of stuff you would want to do?

How the feck do you finish a flight in the Citation? Turned off the engines, parking brake on, power off etc? First time flying, usually stick to the 152 but wanted to fly something longer distance in a short time. Had to quit to the main menu so lost my flight time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

afatbollix wrote: »
    Which version would you buy?

Is there a basic version of the HQ airports if you buy the basic version? Like Heathrow and I don't have to spend twice as much to land there and do 90% of stuff you would want to do?

Gamepass version @ 3.99 per month as I play a few of the other games.

You get quite a few HQ airports in the basic version. Heathrow is only in the top version.

PMDG unfortunately have said yesterday in an interview with FS Elite that their launch product for FS20 the 737, wont be available now until Q3 2020 and so will be concentrating on updating aircraft for P3D.

Aerosoft's CRJ is still on schedule for Christmas tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Any word on Helicopters yet?

I head they are supposed to include a few on an update but i'm not sure of the truth in it.

The CRJ is most likely the only Aircraft that we might see before early summer as Aerosoft wont allocate a full team to it until the CRJ is finished.

Lots of Scenery tho and Drzewiecki Design is in final testing phase for Dublin scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

FS2020 was updated again today to v 1.9.3.0, and the patch notes say it includes fixes such as the A320 fuel flow problem, various autopilot and avionics behaviours, and more. It's called "World Update I" because it includes a major scenery pack for Japan as well as more hand-made airports. I believe the Japanese ones need to be downloaded separately. It's a 660MB application update and 8.8GB data update download.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I downloaded the Unofficial update for the A320. Its great to be able to see the APU page and switch the seatbelt signs. And engine 1 does not shut down after turning off the APU.

Its over on Flightsim.to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Anyone been able to do an update to Shannon yet? Kills me with no parking

• Advertisement

Really sorry if this has been addressed, but is co mayo there and, if so, could someone fly around a small area for me, for a small fee?

Advertisement