Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭briany

This was one of the better videos that helped me get started, ask has changed a little but the same principles apply
    https://youtu.be/I3qU4xwVfik

Thanks, but oh my god is that SDK way more complicated than it needs to be. Very clunky altogether. Is anyone doing 3rd party tools which simplify the process. I can't be the only one who'd like to add or remove some trees, or make other fixes to areas where the autogen hasn't gotten it quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

SDK very clunky indeed. Game's out with ages and still no way to modify an existing default airport rather than start one entirely from scratch when last I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

What graphics cards is everyone running for FS? i have an RTX 2070 Super but i'm considering upgrading to a 30 range. I really don't know anything about GPU's so im not sure am i gaining any visual improvement or is it just FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

What graphics cards is everyone running for FS? i have an RTX 2070 Super but i'm considering upgrading to a 30 range. I really don't know anything about GPU's so im not sure am i gaining any visual improvement or is it just FPS

I've only a 1050Ti. :( It actually runs okay at 1080p most of the time. Larger airports annihilate it though and I have to have glass cockpit refresh at medium. Biggest problem I have is low-res textures which are particularly noticeable in planes like the Just Flight Arrow. I suppose the question is are you happy with your current FPS and visuals? And what resolution are you using?

If I was happy with my current set up and had a 2070 I'd hold out till prices become normal but that could be a while away.

Adyx wrote: »
    I've only a 1050Ti. :( It actually runs okay at 1080p most of the time. Larger airports annihilate it though and I have to have glass cockpit refresh at medium. Biggest problem I have is low-res textures which are particularly noticeable in planes like the Just Flight Arrow. I suppose the question is are you happy with your current FPS and visuals? And what resolution are you using?

If I was happy with my current set up and had a 2070 I'd hold out till prices become normal but that could be a while away.

Its madness trying to get one now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Boundless-Alderney-Island-3840x2160_13.png?v=1623104629

Boundless-Alderney-Island-3840x2160_15.png?v=1623104629

Boundless-Alderney-Island-3840x2160_4.png?v=1623104629

Inisimulations have converted and released our Alderney scenery to MSFS, and will be doing more of our airports in the future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

Anyone tried this on the xbox yet? Very curious how it works on a console! I'd imagine it looks great at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dbloke

It looks absolutely stunning in 4K on 55" OLED! Frame rates good too. Default controller sensitivity needs adjusting - slightest twitch will cause Cessna 152 to barrel roll!!

Multi player is over run with GTA players at the mo and people paused on the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ah bollocks. I was just about to buy this until I spotted it's not available for Xbox One :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭john boye

Tried it today. Surprisingly controllable although the trim can be a bit wayward. The scenery is indeed incredible on a big 4k screen.

SU5 is causing massive problems across lots of mods it appears.

Aerosoft were developing Simple Traffic to get rid of those crude models with very poor liveries but SU5 has literally killed the project.

So, after you have buzzed Mount Rushmore, witnessed a beautiful sunrise over Lake Baikal, flown between the grey columns of a storm system, done a loop the loop under the Eiffel Tower, flown over your house, played with the weather settings, landed in a volcano, gone up the Shannon, learned what VFR means and why heating your pitot is a good idea, what is there to actually DO in the game?

I always seem to hit a wall with these flight sim games where, after many hours of play time, I wonder why I'm playing it. With MSFS, I both feel as if I've barely scratched the surface and also seen all there is to see in terms of unique and interesting experiences the game offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Turn off all assistance settings and learn how to fly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Not meaning that as a smart comment, it's a sim, bit of a niche area

For me, its better to have the big airliners in it where you could be up to an hour between getting into the cockpit and taxiing off the Apron. The CRJ is great but i still look forward to the 737 when you'll spend twice the time setting up.

Also, a good hop is Galway - Inishmore - Shannon at sunset and cross the Cliffs and up the estuary. Waterford - Kerry during the Gold hour is great too.

Amazing you can actually do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Re Multiplayer get together

Just wondering if there are any other Irish players interested in doing some general aviation multiplayer around Ireland? Drop me a PM with your gamertag if you're interested. I'm usually in the C172 or the Cub X. 

Live weather (unless the actual live weather is completely manky then it can be changed).

Try the Bush Trips. I've currently just arrived in Montenegro on a trip from northern Croatia to Santorini in Greece. About 9-10 hours+ in total. A real test of navigation

Aerosoft updates:

CRJ900 - Released within 8 weeks

Twin Otter - Released within 6 weeks(In Beta Testing since last week)

A330 - No Date but the systems have been heavily worked on in the last 9 months and now only one 3D modeller remains on Twin otter, the other 2 are working on A330. Supposedly a Release date before Christmas but i think January.

PMDG Updates:

737 Released within 8 weeks

777 Previewed before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

I've enjoyed flying across Papua New Guinea via various mountain strips...🙂

• Advertisement

• I’ve just ordered a build to run MS Flight Simulator and I’m getting excited.

Have ordered a new joystick, throttle and pedals too.

Used to fly real light aircraft until I could no longer renew my license due to failing eyesight test.

So MK studios are in and around Cork Airport next month for the Release of Cork. They came when the airport was closed on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, today, after watching a video on China's geographic divide, I hoped the Taklamakan Desert would be spectacular in the sim, and it was. There's absolutely nothing there, not even an airstrip. I flew the Daher TBM south from the desert over the Kunlun Mountains and in to Tibet, then kept going on autopilot. I eventually reached the Himalayas proper at 30,000 ft, crossed them while running on fumes, and headed for Kathmandu ... ran out of fuel during the descent and had to make a dead stick landing at Bharatpur. It got a little hairy, but I got her down safely on the tarmac.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Flew around a few places with this game on XBox Series X. A LOT of warehouses everywhere. Should be called MS Warehouse Simulator.

To be fair, the game is procedurally generating buildings on the fly, based off of satellite image data and chooses which building type to put in based off the overhead shape. If you're a machine looking at something from overhead, it will be difficult to tell if that rectangular building with a car park next to it is an office block, shopping centre or warehouse.

It would be nice if there was a way for the community to help the scenery generation engine a bit. Like a crowdsourcing thing that could tell Azure what a given circle on the landscape is supposed to be and be able to upload a model for it. You can download custom scenery off of 3rd party websites, but in this way, you'd be getting the fixed scenery straight from MS servers as you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yeah I know. Just joking a bit. Does the UK and Ireland pack add much for Ireland ? Haven't really had the time to get into this or download the extensions.

Ireland is just an afterthought in that add-on. It has the Rock of Cashel, some bridge in the southwest, and a couple of things up north. I think they did a handcrafted Donegal airport as well. This is where it's been handy for me playing on PC, because there are a few decent free addons for Ireland floating about, like a good Dublin pack, such that I can land a helicopter in the middle of the Aviva.

This has got to be the buggiest game I've ever played.

HP Reverb G2 in the post! Christmas will be fun :D

• Advertisement

Images from PMDG for the 737.

On the left is the new MSFS and on the right is how it looks in P3D V5

Advertisement