Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunglasses?

Options
  • 26-08-2020 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I've spent possibly thousands on cycling gear since getting back into cycling about four years ago. But my sunglasses are still a 6€ Lidl pair of photochromic ones (and an even cheaper pair of clear Decathlon ones for winter days).

I wear contact lenses and find these can go dry and I also get a tear in one eye so I'm looking for something that gives a good degree of wind protection. I also have a big head so need something a bit bigger.

Do most people use photochromic lenses? What about polarized? I'd always use these when driving.

I see a lot of recommendations for Oakley but ideally I'd spend a bit less.

I'm looking at something like Agu Bold or Siroko, both available in 40-50€ ish price ranges. Anything else to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Do most people use photochromic lenses? What about polarized? I'd always use these when driving.
    I don't even use the posh lidl/ aldi ones - just the standard €4 ones! I've too much of tendency to drop them.

However, I did look a few years ago at prescription glasses from a place in the UK that Beasty(?) used. Ultimately, my eyesight without glasses isn't enough to justify it (I'm still over legal driving limit without them).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That's exactly my thinking in not just splashing on a set of Oakleys. I'll probably stick to contact lenses with glasses though, I rarely wear real glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have just test driven my new Tifosi Davos (photochromic) glasses , got off Merlin for 60Euro. I have a pair of Oakleys which I recently scratched. Loving the Tifosi, very clear, good wind protection and comfy snug fit. I found myself constantly adjusting the Oakleys and have a feeling they won't be my go to pair for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

+1 on Tifosi. Got a pair of the Vero's from Wiggle for about 40 euro. Great sunglasses. Don't fog up easily and very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks both, the Tifosi Davos Fototec do look like exactly what I need. They are 77 euro now though, my budget is in the 50 euro range so will shop around about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought a pair of Alpina Splinters (photochromics) a few years ago and wore them all year round. They were around €35 and I loved them as they were feather light, had really thin flexible (almost rubber like) arms and were very comfortable to wear. They were dropped countless time and ended up scratched to hell so splashed out on a new pair a few months ago.

I also have several pairs of AliExpress foakleys which I never wear as they’re so uncomfortable and big and I have a pair of Aldi yellow lens glasses that I wear on dull low light evenings/mornings.

I could never justify paying for expensive glasses as they were guaranteed to be dropped numerous times.

I have the Siroko K3 glasses, they give good wind protection to your eyes.
    The dark lens has excellent anti fog but I find the photochromic lens is not very good.
    The product description now says that the photochromic also had anti fog, not sure it had when I bought them.

I e got a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XJ7KLS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GBLrFb55YBKE5

I paid €35 in spec savers to get lenses fitted in the inserts and after about a year of using them, have zero complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I bought a pair similar to these about a year ago. Bought on a two for one offer which they ALWAYS run. Quality is grand, cheap plastic but as i have two of them im not worried about breaking them.

https://www.hawkersco.com/products/gafas-de-sol-fluor-cycling

Havent broke the first set yet. Very happy with them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I usually just order a bunch of different ones from aliexpress, there's no point buying really good ones unless you're very careful of them or have deep pockets and don't mind them getting lost/scratched.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304934458.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.605a2b82Z6509U&algo_pvid=b77c197b-eb3e-44fe-aa97-ba2ea571de25&algo_expid=b77c197b-eb3e-44fe-aa97-ba2ea571de25-0&btsid=0ab6f82c15984468315676772e4cc1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I usually just order a bunch of different ones from aliexpress, there's no point buying really good ones unless you're very careful of them or have deep pockets and don't mind them getting lost/scratched.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304934458.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.605a2b82Z6509U&algo_pvid=b77c197b-eb3e-44fe-aa97-ba2ea571de25&algo_expid=b77c197b-eb3e-44fe-aa97-ba2ea571de25-0&btsid=0ab6f82c15984468315676772e4cc1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

thats the one thing i like about the hawkers - they came in a soft cloth bag in a solid box. so once my ride is done, i go into the shed and helmet off, sunglasses in the bag into the box, phone off mount etc....i have a 4 year old who love messing with glasses (scratched a set of raybans after 2 days) but the box (and in the shed) means he cant get at them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aegir wrote: »
    I e got a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XJ7KLS5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GBLrFb55YBKE5

I paid €35 in spec savers to get lenses fitted in the inserts and after about a year of using them, have zero complaints.

Hi Aegir, how does this work. My eyesight is gammy amd I normally just wear my driving glasses when out for a cycle. Is it just a matter of buying these and back then to Specassvers who already have my prescription?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hi Aegir, how does this work. My eyesight is gammy amd I normally just wear my driving glasses when out for a cycle. Is it just a matter of buying these and back then to Specassvers who already have my prescription?

That’s all I did. I just took the plastic clip in frame and asked them to fit lenses. It took than about a week. The good thing with the clip in lense type, is that you can change the colour of the outer lense depending on the weather.

I think someone on here did say that their spec savers won’t do it though, so it may vary from branch to branch. I got mine in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aegir wrote: »
    That’s all I did. I just took the plastic clip in frame and asked them to fit lenses. It took than about a week. The good thing with the clip in lense type, is that you can change the colour of the outer lense depending on the weather.

I think someone on here did say that their spec savers won’t do it though, so it may vary from branch to branch. I got mine in Dun Laoghaire.

That's great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Also very happy with tifosi

Bought siroko too, don't like them and the company keep illegally sending me marketing texts which is very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've had these for about five years and I can't fault them: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses

Handy to have the different lenses depending on the type of day. The orange lens in particular is great on a grey winter's day, gives everything a yellow tinge and makes it feel sunnier than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

seamus wrote: »
    I've had these for about five years and I can't fault them: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses

Handy to have the different lenses depending on the type of day. The orange lens in particular is great on a grey winter's day, gives everything a yellow tinge and makes it feel sunnier than it actually is.

I have the cheaper version: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-triple-lens-sunglasses

I only have them a couple of months, but apart from a both of fogging up when sitting at traffic lights, they have been fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I have a pair from Lidl, cost about €6, they look very similar to the set just above, and came with 3 sets of lenses, including an orange and clear pair. Have them about 2 years, they're grand

Advertisement