Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the GAA are building a hotel.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Jaysus the GAA lads aren't half touchy around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I thought I read somewhere that it will be run by the Maldron chain or something.

Anyway with Covid and no matches with spectators and no late bars and no sing songs and dodgy ham, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What's wrong with the jerseys though?

Some of the jerseys are very nice to be fair and they are good quality. My young lad buy's different ones all the time, he doesn't care about the county or the sponsor if he likes one he'll buy it from his savings.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I don't play computer games but avoid anything GAA like the plague! I do respect it as an organisation though and know it does great things for communities. The actual sports themselves just give me some kind of cultural cringe, the jerseys, the ham sandwiches etc. But I'm a West Brit I suppose, so it's kryptonite to me.

That's hang sanguiges bai!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thirty five posts, I'd say three, incl the OP have dealt with the hotel.
    Might be more at home in, After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Water John wrote: »
    Thirty five posts, I'd say three, incl the OP have dealt with the hotel.
    Might be more at home in, After Hours.

Apologies I genuinely thought I was in AH

Apologies I genuinely thought I was in AH

That is where I put it but it was moved by a mod to Current Affairs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

As north side Dublin locations go, this one doesnt look too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'll only support it if the tax payer is on the hook.

Will the players at least get 10% off a nights stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Well firstly don't see what the issue is wearing one going to the gym or a shop to be honest with you.

I also don't see how it's different to soccer jerseys in reality, granted you would see less people wearing rugby jerseys but plenty wearing jumpers and tracksuit tops. I'm not sure why it really matters.

Its not that they are wearing it to the gym or the shop specificallly, it the lads that wear it everywhere no matter what.
    Fann Linn wrote: »
    As opposed to lads in Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Munster and Leinster jerseys?
    I'd say you're just having a whinge because it's the GAA.

I'm not having a whinge, was just posing a possible reason for the other poster mentioning jerseys. It doesn't bother me I just find it funny.
    There are lads who wear other jerseys lots too, but I do think the wearing a county jersey as much as you can is a bit more prevalent in GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Great news, hopefully they will serve a full Mixed Grill, including liver and chops, with Fried Bread and a few Arvostatin on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ablelocks wrote: »
    have you any evidence that taxpayers money will be used to design, build or manage the hotel?

There are strict rules around where the taxpayers money goes and while they may avail of tax breaks, etc, like any company, I doubt very much that they can use it for this purpose

The GAA are paying for the hotel.

The GAA are hand out looking for a handout from the taxpayers of this country.

If you need an injection of taxpayers money, and your hand is out looking for taxpayers money all under the guise of the betterment of the sport all the while spending xx millions of your own cash on a hotel ?

If you have enough money to be buying land and building hotels you’ve a fûcking immense cheek to be applying for funding from the taxpayers of the country to run your sport. That’s just shît.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

To everyong objecting that the GAA get funding from the government: surely their building of their own hotel is a great development as, if it's successful, they will need less money from the government in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Strumms wrote: »
    If the GAA are building it. The government fund the GAA to the tune of xx million per year. The government ie. taxpayer is funding it. There is no decree by the government as to what the money should be spent on that they give to the GAA. A hotel is a business venture not a sporting necessity.

If the GAA can be affording to build hotels... then they can get on the phone to Leinster House and say “ actually you know what, we don’t need financial assistance at this present time, the money that was intended for us would be better spent in other corners of the sporting world... where it can be spent improving facilities for participants and spectators as well as grants for people involved.

If you need an injection of taxpayers money, and your hand is out looking for taxpayers money all under the guise of the betterment of the sport all the while spending xx millions of your own cash on a hotel ?

If you have enough money to be buying land and building hotels you’ve a fûcking immense cheek to be applying for funding from the taxpayers of the country to run your sport. That’s just shît.

you had to reply to my post twice, with no evidence to back your claims?

Any taxpayer funding to any organisation has to be accounted for. You're right about this - the hotel won't be funded by the taxpayer because it is a "business venture and not a sporting necessity" - Government have enough be paying for without funding the development of a hotel.

They allocate taxpayer funding based on the contribution the GAA makes to the wider societal good - as they do with all voluntary or professional organisations that are funded by the taxpayer. This funding is ringfenced for direct sporting use - the commercial wing of the GAA is a separate entity as far as i know. (and if it isn't, it bloody well should be)

and somebody said the GAA lads are touchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Fairly sure that GAA funding from government isn't just a block grant but for specific programmes, say youth games development. These are audited and come with many conditions - principally that the money is only spent on that specific programme.

The GAA doesn't get a ball of money from government with a note saying, "off you go lads, enjoy yourselves".

Fairly sure that GAA funding from government isn't just a block grant but for specific programmes, say youth games development. These are audited and come with many conditions - principally that the money is only spent on that specific programme.

The GAA doesn't get a ball of money from government with a note saying, "off you go lads, enjoy yourselves".

Ok... why is the taxpayer giving funding for say youth games development if the GAA have tens of millions spare that they can buy a shîtload of land and build a big hotel ? It’s going to work out closer to 90 million...land and build.

Be like if I had 5 million in the bank, off out tomorrow to buy a new Mercedes Maybach and the church is having a whip around for donations for me.. it’s rediculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"In December, 19 acres was sold onto international property group Hines, who as part of the agreement with the GAA have included 10% affordable housing in their development on top of the required 10% social housing. It is understood the GAA will more than recover the entire €95.17m for the sale to Hines

They bought the lands for 95 million and sold most of the land back at a profit. They have now contracted Dalata group to run the hotel at a tidy profit. This is good business

Great business, but they are still being bankrolled by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Government grants accounted for about 7% of the GAAs income last year and is granted by sport Ireland for specific projects - hardly bankrolling the organisation. It's money well spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Great business, but they are still being bankrolled by our government.

Should they stop renting out their all-weather pitches to five-a-side soccer groups when they are not in use by their own teams, and have the government make up the shortfall in revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Because they provide value to those taxpayers?

What do you suggest the government use the money for?

They should give it all to the FAI.
    John could do with a pension top-up....;)

There are a multitude of other sports, which might and would benefit from better, more modern facilities, equipment and assets. I’m involved with one that had a watertight application overlooked due to ‘budget constraints’ as being the only answer given.

But the GAA... “yes we have enough cash to build a big fûck off hotel, but we still want a cut of cash from the hardworking, tax paying citizen to fund our ‘activities’.”

There are a multitude of other sports, which might and would benefit from better, more modern facilities, equipment and assets. I’m involved with one that had a watertight application overlooked due to ‘budget constraints’ as being the only answer given.

But the GAA... “yes we have enough cash to build a big fûck off hotel, but we still want a cut of cash from the hardworking, tax paying citizen to fund our ‘activities’.”

What other sports? Stuff that nobody watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What other sports? Stuff that nobody watches?

It isn't all about watching. Participation in any sport is what should be encouraged and at all age groups. Why are the G.A.A. getting involved in building a hotel anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bogball towers featuring breakfast at cafe kylemore, a luxurious supermacs lunch and dinner at the esteemed ‘mammys’ meat and 2 veg carvery restaurant. Theres the AIG executive lounge for dubs in blue jerseys and over 100 parking spaces large enough to park your clapped out landcruiser.

On site facilities also include an olympic sized pool pre loaded with sheep dip for the annual wash and a filling station selling exclusively green agri diesel.

Try the gooch smoking lounge sponsored by rothmans where you can puff away to your hearts content among casual, friendly discussions of hurling, agri machinery and casual racism.

Our multi lingual front desk staff can assist you in any way, each boasting fluency in english, west cork, donegal and Connemara.

Come enjoy all the rural banter you could ever want screaming ‘go on’ as somebody from your county does some bog ball thing and then return to luscious bogball towers for the ‘craic’ after

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Bogball towers featuring breakfast at cafe kylemore, a luxurious supermacs lunch and dinner at the esteemed ‘mammys’ meat and 2 veg carvery restaurant. Theres the AIG executive lounge for dubs in blue jerseys and over 100 parking spaces large enough to park your clapped out landcruiser.

On site facilities also include an olympic sized pool pre loaded with sheep dip for the annual wash and a filling station selling exclusively green agri diesel.

Try the gooch smoking lounge sponsored by rothmans where you can puff away to your hearts content among casual, friendly discussions of hurling, agri machinery and casual racism.

Our multi lingual front desk staff can assist you in any way, each boasting fluency in english, west cork, donegal and Connemara.

That must have taken you half the night to come up with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another hotel. Fantastic idea. Just what Dublin needs.

spurious wrote: »
    Another hotel. Fantastic idea. Just what Dublin needs.

There are lads here calling it a great business move as if it can't go wrong.

All business is risk, and it's a very big gamble to be taking.

I'm surprised whoever decided to take the risk actually had the authority to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The actual sports themselves just give me some kind of cultural cringe, the jerseys, the ham sandwiches etc. But I'm a West Brit I suppose, so it's kryptonite to me.
    Look past the bogger schtick and all the Hectorisms and try just watch the game. Hurling is a very fast so can be hard to get into, but the football is a good introduction.

Advertisement