Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the GAA are building a hotel.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tell me again why Irish taxpayers are forced to give the GAA money?

free physical education, character building and babysitting for many that take part.

(some are absolute cnts though i agree)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bogball towers featuring breakfast at cafe kylemore, a luxurious supermacs lunch and dinner at the esteemed ‘mammys’ meat and 2 veg carvery restaurant. Theres the AIG executive lounge for dubs in blue jerseys and over 100 parking spaces large enough to park your clapped out landcruiser.

On site facilities also include an olympic sized pool pre loaded with sheep dip for the annual wash and a filling station selling exclusively green agri diesel.

Try the gooch smoking lounge sponsored by rothmans where you can puff away to your hearts content among casual, friendly discussions of hurling, agri machinery and casual racism.

Our multi lingual front desk staff can assist you in any way, each boasting fluency in english, west cork, donegal and Connemara.

Come enjoy all the rural banter you could ever want screaming ‘go on’ as somebody from your county does some bog ball thing and then return to luscious bogball towers for the ‘craic’ after

And the added bonus of knowing some Dublin tenement dweller is there to tidy up afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Perhaps your attention should be focused more on the FAI?

Football is a more popular sport then the GAA in Ireland (More people play it) so apart from JD doing what he likes for years (enabled by the elite in Ireland) the FAI should get more funding than the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Tell me again why Irish taxpayers are forced to give the GAA money?

Nobody is forced to give money to the GAA. The Government chose to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Football is a more popular sport then the GAA in Ireland (More people play it)
    I don't think you can make that statement. Football is more popular in certain parts of the country, but in many GAA is king.

The FAI claims 450,000 members. The GAA claims more than 500,000.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think you can make that statement. Football is more popular in certain parts of the country, but in many GAA is king.

The FAI claims 450,000 members. The GAA claims more than 500,000.

More people play football across Ireland than GAA. Does not matter how many members each has, more play football

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

seamus wrote: »
    Look past the bogger schtick and all the Hectorisms and try just watch the game. Hurling is a very fast so can be hard to get into, but the football is a good introduction.

I do like watching Dublin win the semis and finals of the football though. But I think I only enjoy it because the rest of the country hates us so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What other sports? Stuff that nobody watches?

Watches ? whats that got to do with it. The primary interest when we are talking about funding, is for it to benefit those who actively ‘participate’ and take part. Sport nurtures physical fitness, maintains health, physical and mental, improves wellbeing and fosters friendships, social outlets and so on...yes, it’s Entertaining too. If Hockey Ireland are looking for 150,000 euros to upgrade training / changing / playing facilities... do we say “ who the fûck ‘watches’ that “ or can we be saying... “ by investing that cash in facilities and services, we are encouraging more people to become involved in the sport, happier, healthier, fitter, with the enjoyment of the sport, social aspects surrounding it.”

Participation in sport is growing, will grow because of Covid too with people realizing the value of health, the fragility of life, the importance of wellbeing, physical and mental, the enjoyment thereof.... THAT is what needs investment. Not fûcking millions at the GAA to invest in capital projects that are only going to benefit ‘their’ bottom line, that’s madness.

Strumms wrote: »
    Watches ? whats that got to do with it. The primary interest when we are talking about funding, is for it to benefit those who actively ‘participate’ and take part. Sport nurtures physical fitness, maintains health, physical and mental, improves wellbeing and fosters friendships, social outlets and so on...yes, it’s Entertaining too. If Hockey Ireland are looking for 150,000 euros to upgrade training / changing / playing facilities... do we say “ who the fûck ‘watches’ that “ or can we be saying... “ by investing that cash in facilities and services, we are encouraging more people to become involved in the sport, happier, healthier, fitter, with the enjoyment of the sport, social aspects surrounding it.”

Participation in sport is growing, will grow because of Covid too with people realizing the value of health, the fragility of life, the importance of wellbeing, physical and mental, the enjoyment thereof.... THAT is what needs investment. Not fûcking millions at the GAA to invest in capital projects that are only going to benefit ‘their’ bottom line, that’s madness.

Substitute in participates instead of watches then. Same thing.

Football is a more popular sport then the GAA in Ireland (More people play it) so apart from JD doing what he likes for years (enabled by the elite in Ireland) the FAI should get more funding than the GAA

You don't reward ineptitude with extra funding. The GAA run themselves impeccably compared to the FAI. Actually almost anything is run impeccably compared to the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

More people play football across Ireland than GAA. Does not matter how many members each has, more play football
    This s**t again.

Yes more people play soccer than GAA, and a lot of that is made up of 5 a side kickabouts under lights on (in some cases) GAA owned astros.

But look at the overall reach of each.

Up and down the country (pre COVID) thousands and thousands of people attend local, regional and national GAA games every weekend.

For soccer after the bandwagon of Ireland doing well and the fee thousand that watch LOI it's one man and his dog territory.
    No one only the players are interested.
    Everyone else is at home watching their favorite British team.

And as for blaming all the FAI ills on Delaney. The FAI has been rotten to the core for decades.
    There were plenty of "nights of the long knives" before JD rose to fame.

Substitute in participates instead of watches then. Same thing.

How can participation be the same as watching ?

In 2018 Ireland women’s hockey team reached the World Cup final. I see that I say, ok I’d like we build on the success, invest in facilities, get more people playing, participating. Have all clubs got suitable training facilities ?, changing facilities, floodlights, coaching and so on. That’s just one sport.

Replicate that mindset though sport. GAA is one sport, if they can be affording to be building hotels they can afford to say, “hey, we don’t need that cash”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nothing like a thread about the GAA to bring out the salty 'best league in the world' sorts. They should clean up their own house first.

This s**t again.

Yes more people play soccer than GAA, and a lot of that is made up of 5 a side kickabouts under lights on (in some cases) GAA owned astros.

Up and down the country (pre COVID) thousands and thousands of people attend local, regional and national GAA games every weekend.

For soccer after the bandwagon of Ireland doing well and the fee thousand that watch LOI it's one man and his dog territory.

And as for blaming all the FAI ills on Delaney. The FAI has been rotten to the core for decades.

One man and his dog territory ? Bohemians successfully sold out their home ticket allocation for the first eight matches of last season with average crowds at Dalymount Park increased big time on seasons before . They would go on to sell out the Jodi stand on multiple occasions and many occasions fans were turned away.

Last season :

Average home league attendance: 2,856

Highest home attendance: 3,634 (vs. St Patrick's Athletic, 29 March 2019)

If there is investment in facilities, more people will come. That investment IS happening... watch !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

All irelands get over 1million viewers, a fai cup final would be well shy of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

One man and his dog territory ? Bohemians successfully sold out their home ticket allocation for the first eight matches of last season with average crowds at Dalymount Park increased big time on seasons before . They would go on to sell out the Jodi stand on multiple occasions and many occasions fans were turned away.

Last season :

If there is investment in facilities, more people will come. That investment IS happening... watch !

So you did not read the bit where I said
    after the bandwagon of Ireland doing well and the few thousand that watch LOI it's one man and his dog territory.

I've put the important word in bold.

So you did not read the bit where I said

I've put the important word in bold.

You also said... “no one, only the players, is interested”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭davetherave

I think the argument needs to stop re: fai/soccer vs GAA... especially as regards using Delaney as a stick to beat the sport with... guy was acting the &*€€#& but those sorts of individuals rise to hold the reigns in similar organizations throughout the country and the world. A lot of people from within the organization and outside facilitated him.

This hotel ? If it is a success can we expect in the years followings it becoming a success that GAA funding can and would be decreased and the money be given to other sporting organizations?

I’ve no problem with the GAA building this hotel. But when your hand is out looking for fûcking millions of OUR money, taxpayers money to build it ? Sorry, something has to give there. As I said, I love the sports, the game and competitions but when you see this lark... it really tells you everything you need to know about them as an organization.

There are a multitude of sporting organizations who train, help and support kids. The fact the GAA are one of them ? Yes let’s let them build a hotel while we throw millions at them.

Do you know how many millions they get each year? Have you had a look at their accounts?

https://www.gaa.ie/api/pdfs/image/upload/zqzwyx0xnugvpw4zirtp.pdf

For the financial year ending 31st of October 2019 Central Council received €6.08 in State Funding. 2.6 Million from Sports Ireland for "Youth Field Funding", and 3.0 Million from Sports Ireland for the "Player eligible expenses scheme". They also received 0.47 Million from Dept of Foreign Affairs for "Overseas Projects" .

Keep that number in mind. €6.08 million.

If we look at the other income you have:

€36 million from gate receipts across the two championships, the two leagues and term tickets.

€19.9 million from Commercial Revenue (Media coverage and Sponsorships)

€11.7 million in the Other, majority is €10.5 from Croke Park Ltd (A subsidiary of Central Council)

8% of the revenue that Central Council generates and distributes out to Provincial Councils and County Boards comes from the taxpayer.

Precisely Dave.... if they as an organization have the capacity and capability to amass that sort of income and revenue, why is the government giving them a dig out ? At least to the extent they are... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This s**t again.

Do the people who play social 5 a side really count in terms of actual football players?
    The word 'bandwagon' needs to stop.
    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    All irelands get over 1million viewers, a fai cup final would be well shy of that.
    All Irelands cant be compared to the FAI cup final? Not the same.
    Precisely Dave.... if they as an organization have the capacity and capability to amass that sort of income and revenue, why is the government giving them a dig out? At least to the extent they are... ?
    Because they need it. That they can earn the income/revenue they do doesnt mean they dont need government support as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Precisely Dave.... if they as an organization have the capacity and capability to amass that sort of income and revenue, why is the government giving them a dig out ? At least to the extent they are... ?

But they’re not getting a dig out. Their work promoting Sport and physical activity is being supported.

As outlined above the Government contribution is a tiny portion of their outgoings. A dig out suggests that they are primarily funded by the government which is patently untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Sports funding is not a dig out.

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2018%20Annual%20Report.pdf

Look at this. €49m income in 2018.€17.4m from international matchs, €16.9 from commercial income, technical department €6.2m, other €2.4.

Grants & subvention €6.1m.

If they as an organisation have the capacity and capability to amass that sort of income and revenue, why is the government giving them a dig out?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I don't play computer games but avoid anything GAA like the plague! I do respect it as an organisation though and know it does great things for communities. The actual sports themselves just give me some kind of cultural cringe, the jerseys, the ham sandwiches etc. But I'm a West Brit I suppose, so it's kryptonite to me.

I don't get the hatred towards sporting codes and the people involved in Ireland. Cultural cringe? How? They're Irish people from all walks of life playing a game which involves togging out at a weekend, the rest of the week they are students, professionals, toerags etc. It's not like they go to work togged out. You don't like country folk is what you mean is it?

Back in the 80s when it was seen as a thing to aim to be above your station, people would shun GAA and soccer as it didn't attract the "right type of people" like rugby did. Maybe there's a bit of that sh·t that still goes on....

You could say the same thing about soccer too, the cultural cringe of it all. Identikit haircuts, cliched sleeve tattoos, manky jersies, stupid f·cking goal celebrations, "slim fit" tracksuit bottoms :confused: crap taste in music, plastic English "ultras".... but I don't avoid it like the plague. I played it more than GAA growing up. Same people involved in both. Yeah, you'd have the "don't mind the soccer crowd" heads in the GAA, same as you'd have the townies in soccer laughing at the "culchies"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Will the restaurant serve tay and hang sandwiches?
    With a side of Chip on Shoulder

This s**t again.

And the GAA is not, how much more money do the top countys get compared to smaller counties? Dublin allowed play 2 home games in Super 8s when everyone else gets 1 home game.

Mayo County board had big scandal recently, Cork GAA is in chaos this years, Louth can't even get a ground to hold a champ game.

GAA are only interested in the Elite and that's why majority underage players stop when they reach minor

But you go ahead and give out about the FAI

P. S I think the FAI should be wound up and a new organisation in charge of Irish football, even if it means no national side for a few years

How can participation be the same as watching ?

In 2018 Ireland women’s hockey team reached the World Cup final. I see that I say, ok I’d like we build on the success, invest in facilities, get more people playing, participating. Have all clubs got suitable training facilities ?, changing facilities, floodlights, coaching and so on. That’s just one sport.

Replicate that mindset though sport. GAA is one sport, if they can be affording to be building hotels they can afford to say, “hey, we don’t need that cash”.

If they can afford build a hotel it means they're doing things right and can be trusted. Rewarding ineptitude is what's wrong with our whole society. Why give it to the FAI to line their own pockets and leave the domestic league to rot yet again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭davetherave

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    But they’re not getting a dig out. Their work promoting Sport and physical activity is being supported.

As outlined above the Government contribution is a tiny portion of their outgoings. A dig out suggests that they are primarily funded by the government which is patently untrue.
    Sports funding is not a dig out.

https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2018%20Annual%20Report.pdf

Look at this. €49m income in 2018.€17.4m from international matchs, €16.9 from commercial income, technical department €6.2m, other €2.4.

Grants & subvention €6.1m.

I mightn't have made it obvious or clear to Strumms which side of the fence I'm on.

Sports Ireland gave funding for two specific programmes, not a blank cheque to be thrown onto the crock of gold.

There was a surplus after expenditure was subtracted from income of €146,095 in their 2019 accounts. This was a result of 84 cent of every Euro being directly invested back into the Association.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

The actual sports themselves just give me some kind of cultural cringe, the jerseys, the ham sandwiches

It’s an embarrassment alright, watching grown men and women have to eat a mandatory ham sandwich before they can enter the field to play a match.

Last season :

Don't forget the deals on Veltins! Brings me back every time!

• Advertisement

Granadino wrote: »
    I don't get the hatred towards sporting codes and the people involved in Ireland. Cultural cringe...

Tribalism, it happens. I hate how the GAA constantly try and tell me it's part of my culture when it never has been. None of my family are into it, my Dad and uncles etc are working class people from Finglas and all supported Bohemians. No one seems to be that into GAA in the part of Dublin I grew up in, well no one I know anyway, but we actually do have some of the biggest clubs in the country now that I think of it!
    As I said I think it's a good thing for Ireland and it's great that so many people are involved and they pull such big crowds, but I just avoid it like the plague, anything to do with it almost makes me shudder. There's an ad on the radio now with that Michael Mc An whateverthef*ck and I have to turn off the radio till it's over, his voice is just awful. I don't know where I got this phobia of GAA from really.

Advertisement