Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the GAA are building a hotel.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Tribalism, it happens. I hate how the GAA constantly try and tell me it's part of my culture when it never has been. None of my family are into it, my Dad and uncles etc are working class people from Finglas and all supported Bohemians. No one seems to be that into GAA in the part of Dublin I grew up in, well no one I know anyway, but we actually do have some of the biggest clubs in the country now that I think of it!
    As I said I think it's a good thing for Ireland and it's great that so many people are involved and they pull such big crowds, but I just avoid it like the plague, anything to do with it almost makes me shudder. There's an ad on the radio now with that Michael Mc An whateverthef*ck and I have to turn off the radio till it's over, his voice is just awful. I don't know where I got this phobia of GAA from really.

You're an odd fish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Tribalism, it happens. I hate how the GAA constantly try and tell me it's part of my culture when it never has been. None of my family are into it, my Dad and uncles etc are working class people from Finglas and all supported Bohemians. No one seems to be that into GAA in the part of Dublin I grew up in, well no one I know anyway, but we actually do have some of the biggest clubs in the country now that I think of it!
    As I said I think it's a good thing for Ireland and it's great that so many people are involved and they pull such big crowds, but I just avoid it like the plague, anything to do with it almost makes me shudder. There's an ad on the radio now with that Michael Mc An whateverthef*ck and I have to turn off the radio till it's over, his voice is just awful. I don't know where I got this phobia of GAA from really.

All the above is fine as it is your personal preference for sport but it is not an argument against providing financial support to the GAA to assist in it’s programs.

Similarly the FAI, IRFU, Athletics Ireland, Boxing, hockey etc are all deserving of their funding to promote their programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Granadino wrote: »
    You're an odd fish. :)

I most certainly am.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    But they’re not getting a dig out. Their work promoting Sport and physical activity is being supported.

As outlined above the Government contribution is a tiny portion of their outgoings. A dig out suggests that they are primarily funded by the government which is patently untrue.

It suggests nothing of the sort. :). A ‘dig out’ is lending assistance or help.

I gave my girlfriend a dig out cleaning the car...I gave my son a dig out with his homework.

A very wealthy organization with several extremely lucrative income streams which enables high end profitability year on year is getting a dig out of public money, during covid. At the same time, they are spending money, building a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Give the GAA 10m, come back in a few years and they have a refurbished stadium, a heap of clubs with new pitches and clubhouses, a hotel etc.

Give the FAI 10m and come back in a few years and spend another 1m on an inquiry to find out where all the money went and why the 5 new footballs that they managed to buy with it are punctured.

• Advertisement

Give the GAA 10m, come back in a few years and they have a refurbished stadium, a heap of clubs with new pitches and clubhouses, a hotel etc.

Give the FAI 10m and come back in a few years and spend another 1m on an inquiry to find out where all the money went and why the 5 new footballs that they managed to buy with it are punctured.

Yes and the GAA accounts for 2019 showed that their revenue for the YEAR was just shy of 74 million. https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0211/1114542-gaa-announce-record-revenue-of-73-9-million-for-2019/

So why are they been given grants full stop ? If I’m minister for sport my answer is to a request for funding is... YOU DONT QUALIFY, YOU DONT NEED IT !
    You can see them ‘loaning’ Cork GAA 10 million and other carry on...

This year let other sports get more than they’d be used to, be it hockey, tennis, basketball, whatever, in terms of coaching, facilities, equipment... instead of just fûcking millions down at the GAA, that hugely profitable organization who had to have a knife put to their throats a few years back to get them to help the soccer and rugby lads when they had nowhere to play... and the Irish taxpayers by proxy had nowhere to go and watch them.. the shoe been on the other foot and Croke Park was out of action and the GAA called re: the Aviva for a handful of fixtures... the LRSDC I’d imagine would be only too happy to help... helping is natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Strumms wrote: »
    Yes and the GAA accounts for 2019 showed that their revenue for the YEAR was just shy of 74 million. https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0211/1114542-gaa-announce-record-revenue-of-73-9-million-for-2019/

So why are they been given grants full stop ? If I’m minister for sport my answer is to a request for funding is... YOU DONT QUALIFY, YOU DONT NEED IT !
    You can see them ‘loaning’ Cork GAA 10 million and other carry on...

This year let other sports get more than they’d be used to, be it hockey, tennis, basketball, whatever, in terms of coaching, facilities, equipment... instead of just fûcking millions down at the GAA, that hugely profitable organization who had to have a knife put to their throats a few years back to get them to help the soccer and rugby lads when they had nowhere to play... and the Irish taxpayers by proxy had nowhere to go and watch them.. the shoe been on the other foot and Croke Park was out of action and the GAA called re: the Aviva for a handful of fixtures... the LRSDC I’d imagine would be only too happy to help... helping is natural.
    GAA is the largest sporting organisation by a distance. They deserve a lot of what they get. That other sports dont get enough doesnt mean that the GAA has to get its funding cut.

GAA is the largest sporting organisation by a distance. They deserve a lot of what they get. That other sports dont get enough doesnt mean that the GAA has to get its funding cut.

Being large doesn’t entitle you. Being in need, should. That other sports don’t get ‘enough’ is precisely the reason or A reason why their funding needs to be cut. Give other sports enough, what they need, of taxpayers money... and let the ‘heroes for hotels’ look after themselves, they are coining it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That other sports don’t get ‘enough’ is precisely the reason or A reason why their funding needs to be cut. Give other sports enough, what they need... and let the ‘heroes for hotels’ look after themselves, they are coining it in.
    No it isnt. What do you cut from GAA to make it better for other sports?

No it isnt. What do you cut from GAA to make it better for other sports?

If the GAA are investing x amount of money in capital projects that are solely financially motivated. It’s not something like a gym, medical facility, or something that will positively improve anything aside from their cash flow.. you simply ninja the value of the money they spent building the hotel from their grant...

• Advertisement

If the GAA are investing x amount of money in capital projects that are solely financially motivated. It’s not something like a gym, medical facility, or something that will positively improve anything aside from their cash flow.. you simply ninja the value of the money they spent building the hotel from their grant...

So you want to punish the sporting organisations who are prudent and put their money to good use and build on what they have.

"Here yis go lads. There's 10m for you for this year. Now be careful what you do with it. If we come back next year and you have used is to improve your facilitates and then have also invested some of your other revenue wisely so that you can continue to grow then you won't be getting any more. But if you piss it all up against a wall on "training" junkets for your administrators we'll give ya another 10m next year because you'll still be in need"

So you want to punish the sporting organisations who are prudent and put their money to good use and build on what they have.

"Here yis go lads. There's 10m for you for this year. Now be careful what you do with it. If we come back next year and you have used is to improve your facilitates and then have also invested some of your other revenue wisely so that you can continue to grow then you won't be getting any more. But if you piss it all up against a wall on "training" junkets for your administrators we'll give ya another 10m next year because you'll still be in need"

If they are being prudent to that effect they don’t merit further taxpayers investment. Might as well give a grant to KPMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

El Tarangu wrote: »
    To everyong objecting that the GAA get funding from the government: surely their building of their own hotel is a great development as, if it's successful, they will need less money from the government in future?

They'll probably still charge more for All-Ireland weekend than any other hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Being large doesn’t entitle you. Being in need, should. That other sports don’t get ‘enough’ is precisely the reason or A reason why their funding needs to be cut. Give other sports enough, what they need, of taxpayers money... and let the ‘heroes for hotels’ look after themselves, they are coining it in.

Many multiples of those grants are redistributed to grassroots clubs - around 20m in 2019.

There are over 2200 clubs in Ireland, God knows how many unpaid volunteers, adults, teens and children are benefiting from the grants given by government. The grants also come with stipulations, it's not a blank cheque thrown into a pit - as I said it's money well spent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Club managers up and down the country getting paid thousands to manage senior teams.

5 or 6,000 a year (and that's not even close to what some are getting) cash in hand payments (expenses as they call them)

Maybe if clubs wernt throwing this money about every year they wouldn't need funding for new gear etc

It's an amateur sport after all

Before anyone has a go, I play with my local GAA club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

More people play football across Ireland than GAA. Does not matter how many members each has, more play football

Are you including the lads who play 5 a side once a week in those numbers? Soccer is a terribly run sport from top to bottom. It's a terrible reflection on the fai that soccer is by far the most played game but they cannot or have no desire to harness that.

If the fai or genuine soccer fans in iteland had any inclination to create a structure similar to the gaa (or rugby for that matter) it would eclipse the gaa in less than ten years and improve outcomes from top to bottom. It's all about the moolah though.

Are you including the lads who play 5 a side once a week in those numbers? Soccer is a terribly run sport from top to bottom. It's a terrible reflection on the fai that soccer is by far the most played game but they cannot or have no desire to harness that.

If the fai or genuine soccer fans in iteland had any inclination to create a structure similar to the gaa (or rugby for that matter) it would eclipse the gaa in less than ten years and improve outcomes from top to bottom. It's all about the moolah though.

Yes more people play football than GAA. I guarantee more watch it too so its more popular

I never argued any other points

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The FAI don't have lads coming around to my door fundraising multiple times a year.

GAA always have the hand out. Really dislikable organisation.

They had their hand out plenty over the last 6 months.
    Offering to help their communities and particularly vulnerable people.
    My parents are in their 70's and the local GAA club made everyone in the community aware of some mobile numbers to call or text if you wanted any assistance and their members had a rota to help out.

Aside from that, they're still a massive focal point in a lot of communities around the country and even in places where, truth be told, they'd struggle to field senior teams with people living away for work and college, many still travel home to play with their local club because of the bond they have with it and it helps keep a sense of identity in the place. Intercounty success is one of the few areas when people get to express such pride in their home place and have fun doing it.

I'd be a thousand times happier giving money to such an organisation than doing so by selling a site to a vulture fund for the express purpose of their financial gain.

There's a lot of good in soccer and rugby (and tennis, and athletics, and so on and so on clubs as well) but the GAA is something Ireland should be very very proud of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Fat Lives Matter

The Gaa seem to have infinite money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I gave my girlfriend a dig out cleaning the car....

Lol, what?

• Advertisement

Yes more people play football than GAA. I guarantee more watch it too so its more popular

I never argued any other points

Funny then, with all that popularity, that the FAI needed an 18m bailout there not too long ago.

FAI even have additional sources for funding that they GAA do not - money from FIFA etc. (3m for a handball anyone?). Isn't there also rules that foreign clubs would also have to pay money to the Irish clubs if the foreign club hired a player as an adult.

FAI gave more than 5m to Goldman Sachs after organizing a deal to clear their entire debt in 2008 .... then pulling out of it.

Why on earth would any government prefer to give money to that shambles of a crowd? It's a waste.

And, as another poster mentioned, at the start of the corona, there was a leaflet posted in the door here with a list of mobile numbers and names of locals who would help out anyone with collecting groceries/prescriptions etc. Is there anyone here on boards who got a similar letter from their local soccerball club? Surely there must be more people who got them from soccerball clubs given that you think it is more popular and has more players?

GAA runs amateur sports in a professional manner. FAI runs a "professional" sport in an amateur manner.

FAI should get no money. Let it die a natural death.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I do like watching Dublin win the semis and finals of the football though. But I think I only enjoy it because the rest of the country hates us so much.

I agree with the culture thing, I fervently avoid anyone i see wearing a gaa jersey in holidays, all Ireland final weekend the pubs are ruined, perfectly normal people revert to absolute animals screaming at televisions cheering for a team belonging to a county they happen to live in (or more often in dublin that their parents are from) .
    GAA fans are much worse than soccer or rugby fans for over reacting to everything and making their team their identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

I agree with the culture thing, I fervently avoid anyone i see wearing a gaa jersey in holidays, all Ireland final weekend the pubs are ruined, perfectly normal people revert to absolute animals screaming at televisions cheering for a team belonging to a county they happen to live in (or more often in dublin that their parents are from) .
    GAA fans are much worse than soccer or rugby fans for over reacting to everything and making their team their identity.

Is that any worse than all of the Sky Super Sundays where the pub is taken over by people wearing jerseys of some random club in England and whose only connection with said club is that they picked it to support as a 6 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Reading some of the threads on the soccer forum would be an eye opener for you I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

You wouldn't want to be in a pub with rugby fans then if you're worried about your pub experience being ruined.

Being told to hush and stop talking because some lad in The Aviva is kicking a conversion and might hear you is comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

So do most soccer fans in England. e.g. Sunderland home kit on holidays for the beach, away kit at night for going out, and a tattoo on the arm to reinforce it.
    For a lot of GAA fans, that's where they are from, so no wonder they might get het up about it. They also may have neighbours, friends, or family involved too.
    Definitely not as bad as the pubs filled with Utd or Liverpool fans slagging each other off across the bar with the "we" ****e.
    Nothing worse than coming to work on a Monday and some Utd fan getting slagged off because Liverpool won the league. Pathetic. "Ah jaysus, Mike will be in foul humour today. Utd lost yesterday"
    Can't wait for some lad to come to work and be fist pumping the air because Cadiz got promoted...

Ha. That's gas. A fella wearing a Cork jersey is not going to be attacked anywhere in the country for wearing that jersey. He might get a few digs to teach him not to be a langer from Cork but that is nothing to do with the jersey and is only trying to help him.

Wear the "wrong" soccerball jersey into the wrong area and you'll get a few digs no problem. Plenty of reports about that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heimdallr

Hahahah
    At least they are cheering for a place they are from rather than the mindless morons shouting about “we” “us” and “you” English soccer teams.

Heimdallr wrote: »
    Hahahah
    At least they are cheering for a place they are from rather than the mindless morons shouting about “we” “us” and “you” English soccer teams.

Not to mention that the teams themselves are staffed from players from around the world whose choice to move there is mainly decided by the financial package to move there for a few years.

And the businesses themselves are owned by billionaires from around the world who would buy and sell at the drop of a hat.

You might as well be passionately supporting your favorite McDonalds drive through in the UK

• Advertisement

Funny then, with all that popularity, that the FAI needed an 18m bailout there not too long ago.

FAI even have additional sources for funding that they GAA do not - money from FIFA etc. (3m for a handball anyone?). Isn't there also rules that foreign clubs would also have to pay money to the Irish clubs if the foreign club hired a player as an adult.

FAI gave more than 5m to Goldman Sachs after organizing a deal to clear their entire debt in 2008 .... then pulling out of it.

Why on earth would any government prefer to give money to that shambles of a crowd? It's a waste.

And, as another poster mentioned, at the start of the corona, there was a leaflet posted in the door here with a list of mobile numbers and names of locals who would help out anyone with collecting groceries/prescriptions etc. Is there anyone here on boards who got a similar letter from their local soccerball club? Surely there must be more people who got them from soccerball clubs given that you think it is more popular and has more players?

GAA runs amateur sports in a professional manner. FAI runs a "professional" sport in an amateur manner.

FAI should get no money. Let it die a natural death.

All I said was more people play football than GAA

Managers getting paid thousands, going against all the GAA stand for. Going on decades and not 1 thing ever done about it.
    Where is this money recorded on clubs accounts? They wouldnt be fixing the books would they?
    When your own house is in order, then you can have a go at other organisations

Advertisement