Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the GAA are building a hotel.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

More people play football across Ireland than GAA. Does not matter how many members each has, more play football

Thats no true in Dublin anymore . If you look at the people from 5-10 year old age bracket in most GAA clubs its scary . It's only getting bigger and bigger .

Anyway back to the main point.

How could this possibly seen as a bad thing . Use their money wisely and also creating employment etc

People are mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

All I said was more people play football than GAA

Managers getting paid thousands, going against all the GAA stand for. Going on decades and not 1 thing ever done about it.
    Where is this money recorded on clubs accounts? They wouldnt be fixing the books would they?
    When your own house is in order, then you can have a go at other organisations

'Travel expenses'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I agree with the culture thing, I fervently avoid anyone i see wearing a gaa jersey in holidays, all Ireland final weekend the pubs are ruined, perfectly normal people revert to absolute animals screaming at televisions cheering for a team belonging to a county they happen to live in (or more often in dublin that their parents are from) .
    GAA fans are much worse than soccer or rugby fans for over reacting to everything and making their team their identity.

Rugby fans dont make me laugh, you mean posh knobs who were not skillful enough to play any real sports. Who every world cup the media and deluded fans here build us up as being up there with a chance of winning it and without fail they fall flat on their arses every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Heimdallr wrote: »
    Hahahah
    At least they are cheering for a place they are from rather than the mindless morons shouting about “we” “us” and “you” English soccer teams.

Some of us support Irish football teams

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some of us support Irish football teams

You'd have thought that the LOI would have had the sense to make more of the lockdown and use it to their advantage? They could have still been playing their games as used that as an opportunity to gain ground on other sports.

Sure having an official restriction of 50 fans or whatever at a soccer match would have had the same impact on LOI as having an official restriction of 1 billion attendees - neither limit is going to be hit anyways :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Thats no true in Dublin anymore . If you look at the people from 5-10 year old age bracket in most GAA clubs its scary . It's only getting bigger and bigger .

How could this possibly seen as a bad thing . Use their money wisely and also creating employment etc

People are mad

Irelands a lot bigger than just Dublin and participation in football is higher than GAA

Can say what you want but thats a fact. GAA football is fast becoming like Hurling where there will be an elite 5 or 6 competing for Sam Maguire and rest will be playing in front of a few hundred people for the Tommy Murphy Cup part 2 every year

I play GAA so I'm not anti GAA it's just a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

So much misinformed commentary on sport and class in Ireland, Gaelic Football is now the dominant sport in Ireland amongst the middle classes...

The ESRI study on Social and Economic Value of Sport in Ireland concluded:

- soccer club membership is associated with the manual social classes, especially skilled and semi-skilled. It is only in
    these social classes that soccer accounts for a substantial share of club memberships (16 per cent in the skilled manual class and 13 per
    cent in the semi-skilled class – Table 4.5). Over half of soccer club members (57 per cent – Table 4.6) are from these two classes.

- The GAA, by contrast, has a wide social class spread in its membership: while 40 per cent of its members are from either the skilled or semiskilled manual classes, 33 per cent are from the higher or lower professional classes (Table 4.6). It attracts more members in the
    skilled and semi-skilled manual classes (39 and 29 per cent respectively) than any other sport.

- Tennis is quite concentrated in the professional classes, with over half its membership coming from
    higher or lower professional classes, as are golf and swimming to a somewhat lesser degree.

- One-third of rugby club members are drawn from the manual social classes (Table 4.5), which might seem
    surprising in view of the traditional view of rugby as an upper middle class sport. However, given the sample size of rugby club members (n =20) this result should be treated with some caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Rugby fans dont make me laugh, you mean posh knobs who were not skillful enough to play any real sports. Who every world cup the media and deluded fans here build us up as being up there with a chance of winning it and without fail they fall flat on their arses every time.
    Cliches.....
    Go into vast majority of rugby clubs nationwide and members are not posh and what do you see as posh anyway? Whats a real sport?
    gourcuff wrote: »
    So much misinformed commentary on sport and class in Ireland, Gaelic Football is now the dominant sport in Ireland amongst the middle classes...

- soccer club membership is associated with the manual social classes, especially skilled and semi-skilled. It is only in
    these social classes that soccer accounts for a substantial share of club memberships (16 per cent in the skilled manual class and 13 per
    cent in the semi-skilled class – Table 4.5). Over half of soccer club members (57 per cent – Table 4.6) are from these two classes.

- The GAA, by contrast, has a wide social class spread in its membership: while 40 per cent of its members are from either the skilled or semiskilled manual classes, 33 per cent are from the higher or lower professional classes (Table 4.6). It attracts more members in the
    skilled and semi-skilled manual classes (39 and 29 per cent respectively) than any other sport.

- Tennis is quite concentrated in the professional classes, with over half its membership coming from
    higher or lower professional classes, as are golf and swimming to a somewhat lesser degree.

- One-third of rugby club members are drawn from the manual social classes (Table 4.5), which might seem
    surprising in view of the traditional view of rugby as an upper middle class sport. However, given the sample size of rugby club members (n =20) this result should be treated with some caution.
    Its not surprising about rugby at all if you look beyond the Leinster schools cup and the coverage this small competition gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Irelands a lot bigger than just Dublin and participation in football is higher than GAA

Can say what you want but thats a fact. GAA football is fast becoming like Hurling where there will be an elite 5 or 6 competing for Sam Maguire and rest will be playing in front of a few hundred people for the Tommy Murphy Cup part 2 every year

I play GAA so I'm not anti GAA it's just a fact

I have a black friend, I'm not a racist.

Plenty of counties who haven't a chance of winning the Liam McCarthy have vibrant and well supported hurling clubs and competitions. The GAA is way more than just the inter county team.

Reading this thread you'd think that people can only play or follow only one single sport. For the vast majority of sports fans, this is not true, and they have no interest in describing Gaelic football as bogball,hurling as stick fighting, soccer fans as West Brit wannabes, etc. Tiny minority of sporting bigots are filling this thread with their bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Heimdallr wrote: »
    Hahahah
    At least they are cheering for a place they are from rather than the mindless morons shouting about “we” “us” and “you” English soccer teams.

The standard defense, the football and rugby crowd are also awful, but the GAA crowd in my experience are worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

People are mad

It is true. All the reports show that more people play football than the gaa sports and rugby combined

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ha. That's gas. A fella wearing a Cork jersey is not going to be attacked anywhere in the country for wearing that jersey. He might get a few digs to teach him not to be a langer from Cork but that is nothing to do with the jersey and is only trying to help him.

Wear the "wrong" soccerball jersey into the wrong area and you'll get a few digs no problem. Plenty of reports about that kind of thing.

I have seen a few punchups outside pubs for the ‘wrong’ county winning, but ill agree the football tribalism in england especially is awful. My point was purely based on the behaviour of people in the pubs watching the match

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

It is true. All the reports show that more people play football than the gaa sports and rugby combined

Nonsense.. see attached

Rank Activity Male Female Total
    Per cent Per cent Per cent
    1 Swimming 12 17 15
    2 Golf 17 3 10
    3 Aerobics/Keep fit 5 10 8
    4 Soccer 13 2 7
    5 Cycling for leisure 6 3 5
    6 GAA football 8 <1 4
    7 Billiards/Snooker 6 <1 4
    8 Pitch & Putt 4 2 3
    9 Tennis 3 3 3
    10 Jogging 3 2 3
    11 GAA hurling 5 <1 3
    12 Fishing 4 <1 2
    13 Soccer 5-a-side 4 <1 2
    14 Weight Lifting 4 1 2
    15 Ten pin bowling 2 2 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

gourcuff wrote: »

I mean, you could go hypothetical and consider a world where you would be able to go into soccer strongholds and have an intensive program to identify the most intelligent and try to teach them the basics of hurling or Gaelic football. I am sure that some geniuses could figure out a way to do it.

The problem is though that they aren't going to be given access to hurls in prison. You can give them a soccerball in there and do some non-contact long range passing stuff on the ground. You're also not going to be able to try to let them tackle each other though and no contact so that also rules out Gaelic football for them while locked up.

The issue is though that if they have been taught how to play Gaelic football or hurling then they aren't going to be happy with the soccerball. So they'll be sad while in prison. That's not really fair on them.

*post may be somewhat tongue-in-cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I mean, you could go hypothetical and consider a world where you would be able to go into soccer strongholds and have an intensive program to identify the most intelligent and try to teach them the basics of hurling or Gaelic football. I am sure that some geniuses could figure out a way to do it.

The problem is though that they aren't going to be given access to hurls in prison. You can give them a soccerball in there and do some non-contact long range passing stuff on the ground. You're also not going to be able to try to let them tackle each other though and no contact so that also rules out Gaelic football for them while locked up.

The issue is though that if they have been taught how to play Gaelic football or hurling then they aren't going to be happy with the soccerball. So they'll be sad while in prison. That's not really fair on them.

*post may be somewhat tongue-in-cheek

" tongue in cheek" Ooooh Vicar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It’s an embarrassment alright, watching grown men and women have to eat a mandatory ham sandwich before they can enter the field to play a match.

The Kerry lads usually save the sangwiches until after the match just in case it's a draw and they'd have to come back again next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Economic Collapse

I like soccer and GAA. The LOI self righteous brigade are a bit pathetic in all honesty. It's not the GAA's fault that Irish soccer/FAI is so corrupt and of low standard.

Seeing Dundalk the LOI champions and best team for many years, this week appoint some random Italian version of Mike Bassett says it all. Chap ran summer camps and has never coached anywhere.

I like soccer and GAA. The LOI self righteous brigade are a bit pathetic in all honesty. It's not the GAA's fault that Irish soccer/FAI is so corrupt and of low standard.

Seeing Dundalk the LOI champions and best team for many years, this week appoint some random Italian version of Mike Bassett says it all. Chap ran summer camps and has never coached anywhere.

That’s down to dodgy ownership more than anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

How far would it be from coppers?

Advertisement