Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

re ordering Sky

• 26-08-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Im planning to get sky back and i'm told that the sky+hd is no loner an option. Looks like the sky cube is the only option . that's fine.

What i want to know is if i go ahead and get sky cube installed will i only have one connection. - as in will i be able to plug any existing sky boxes into this new port & vice versa with my existing ports, can i plug the sky cube into them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dball wrote: »
    Im planning to get sky back and i'm told that the sky+hd is no loner an option. Looks like the sky cube is the only option . that's fine.

What i want to know is if i go ahead and get sky cube installed will i only have one connection. - as in will i be able to plug any existing sky boxes into this new port & vice versa with my existing ports, can i plug the sky cube into them?

:) It's Sky Q, not Cube.

If you have mutiple TVs that were previously wired up for Sky+, then you can either go with multiroom, which will attract a monthly subscription charge, or you can ask the installer to use a hybrid LNB. The new Sky Q box uses a different type of LNB (the thing on satellite dish that the leads come out of), if they only use the new type, then old sky boxes won't work. If the installer uses a hybrid LNB then the new Sky Q box can connect, but so can the older boxes too.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,326 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is it SkyQ you are referring to? Maybe there is a new box out that Im not aware of. In any event if it is SkyQ you will need to ensure the installer fits a "hybrid Lnb" which will allow you to continue using the SkyHD boxes for FTA channels.

Apparently they will only fit the new Lnb on the dish but if asked (and maybe offer a little separate payment) then most will oblige :)

Sorry to hijack but not worth starting a thread for this.

A relation has moved house and the new place has a dish with wideband LNB for skyq. They will be going the freesat route and asked me to set things up. I’ve never done anything with skyQ before so just wondering if it’s just a straight swap from the wideband back to the old quad LNB (I’ve a few lying around) and the existing connectors on the cables will mate without changing them etc?

I’m assuming they will and it’s just a matter of disconnect cables, remove skyq LNB, add quad LNB, connect cables and job done (taking care not to move the dish but I have a finder if it did happen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry to hijack but not worth starting a thread for this.

A relation has moved house and the new place has a dish with wideband LNB for skyq. They will be going the frees at route and asked me to set things up. I’ve never done anything with skyQ before so just wondering if it’s just a straight swap from the wideband back to the old quad LNB (I’ve a few lying around) and the existing connectors on the cables will mate without changing them etc?

I’m assuming they will and it’s just a matter of disconnect cables, remove skyq LNB, add quad LNB, connect cables and job done (taking care not to move the dish but I have a finder if it did happen).

Yes straight swap with hybrid or normal LNB. Another option for them if they have not purchased a receiver would be to leave things as they are and purchase a new Freesat 4K box, they support wideband so with 2 cable inputs you can record 4 items at once. They come in non recordable (£125) and recordable (£200) models. This approach is what I would do if I was going to just have a single Freesat box in the house. If they plan on future proofing and allowing additional boxes to be connected down the line best thing is instal a hybrid lnb (2x wideband, 4 x standard) on the dish, you can then have the 4k box and 4 connections for other boxes.

Amazon or Currys to buy them...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/E59A50E8-CFC7-4814-A03F-DE631AAF96FE?ingress=3

Yes straight swap with hybrid or normal LNB. Another option for them if they have not purchased a receiver would be to leave things as they are and purchase a new Freesat 4K box, they support wideband so with 2 cable inputs you can record 4 items at once. They come in non recordable (£125) and recordable (£200) models. This approach is what I would do if I was going to just have a single Freesat box in the house. If they plan on future proofing and allowing additional boxes to be connected down the line best thing is instal a hybrid lnb (2x wideband, 4 x standard) on the dish, you can then have the 4k box and 4 connections for other boxes.

Amazon or Currys to buy them...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/E59A50E8-CFC7-4814-A03F-DE631AAF96FE?ingress=3

Thanks.

They already have an enigma2 box that I setup for them before and are happy with that so will be moving that - (4 tuners with 2xS2 and 2xT2) with external HDD for recording. I probably used the term freesat wrong I just meant free to air.

As I said I have the quad LNBs so will be no cost switch over really. Not sure if they want me to run extra cables or not yet but will see when I go setting things up.

Good to know on the newer boxes working with wideband though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

thanks for all the advice above.

I have placed the order and received my sky viewcard in the post today.
    It says i can start watching Sky on the mobile App with this viewing card number that is printed on it.

Would anyone know if i will be billed today as a start date or will that be the day of installation?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Davexirl

dball wrote: »
    thanks for all the advice above.

I have placed the order and received my sky viewcard in the post today.
    It says i can start watching Sky on the mobile App with this viewing card number that is printed on it.

Would anyone know if i will be billed today as a start date or will that be the day of installation?

Thanks

From looking at my first bill, I was billed from my installation date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s a specific standard LNB for fitting onto the sky Q dish though?

This is the one I got
    EE0-CD022-9-BC4-4-B37-B052-DC92-F10-A169-E.jpg

Advertisement