Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART coming to Maynooth line in 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

liamog wrote: »
    It was mostly ruled out because of the listed bridge and inability to provide adequate width for active travel modes.

As I said, for very good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Well the option that they are going for is going to knock a house down I would have thought that it would be a worse option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

blanch152 wrote: »
    As I said, for very good reasons.

Yes, but you could of shared them instead of me having to look them up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Kind of lnked to the above.....

Fingal County Council is proposing to develop the Kellystown Road which will provide a link from Porterstown to Barnhill, to improve road safety & connectivity whilst allowing for the development of a new urban neighbourhood.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/kellystown-road-%E2%80%93-non-statutory-public-engagement

They could have stuck a bridge in there to aid "permeability" :D

Maybe the idea is to build the neighborhood then put space in for future bridges in afterwards. ;)

It was mostly ruled out because of the listed bridge and inability to provide adequate width for active travel modes.

These paths/lanes of active travel modes.

There are none on the roads it would be connecting to anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

beauf wrote: »

Although I don't like Coolmine Road as I experience a lot of close passes by drivers there, I would prefer a bridge over the level crossing without cycle tracks than a wide bridge into Riverwood Court. As you say, the rest of Coolmine Road (and connecting roads) doesn't have cycle tracks so I wouldn't miss what doesn't exist.

I often use Sheepmoor Lane & Station Court as a peaceful route to/from Blanch Centre. If it was changed to a bridge it would be quite a loss. Coolmine Road would be quieter but nowhere near as peaceful as the other route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There is a offline cycleway on St Mochtas Grove, and the works to build the bridge indicate they'd be making changes between the existing Coolmine station roundabout and the current entrance to Riverwood, no doubt this would include extending the cycleway that currently exists on Carpenterstown Park.
    I'd love for them to do some work tying in the St Mochtas cycleway with the path through the park opposite the fire station.

I'm not going to express a preference lest I be accused of hating bridges, or such.

Obviously more cycling infrastructure is better.
    Its only noteworthy here in that its used a reason to reject an option, considering there's no rhythm or reason to how its been executed (assassinated even) everywhere else in the area.

.... the cycleway that currently exists on Carpenterstown Park....

What I like on these roundabouts how we have every combination of possible treatment, often different on every road on the junction, but usually different on one side of the road to other.

no cycleway,
    on path cycle way,
    shared cycle way
    bus lane,
    road,
    path

The classic disappearing cycle path with no transition to road.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3759208,-6.3954837,3a,75y,79.23h,54.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO_hWSjkPLdmZb91b8R7E-g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

ts only noteworthy here in that its used a reason to reject an option, considering there's no rhythm or reason to how its been executed (assassinated even) everywhere else in the area.

Could be a sign of good planning, they are at least acknowledging the need to provide cycling infrastructure? The work Fingal did on the cycleway through Hazelbury Park and around the Ongar area was half decent, they've still made a hames of the junctions but it at least show's some desire to improve things.

I used to cycle from Ongar to the Quays, the worst part of the route was between Coolmine and Castleknock. If they can solve the canal path at Deep Sinking and connect it up with the Coolmine works it would be ideal.

That's one of my favourites, cyclepath into a pole!

• Advertisement

Could be a sign of good planning, ....

Thats the last thing its a sign of. :D

There's about 7 roundabouts in the immediate area, takes real talent not to do even two the same way even by accident. :D

Thats the last thing its a sign of. :D

There's about 7 roundabouts in the immediate area, takes real talent not to do even two the same way even by accident. :D

The good planning is that are considering the cycleways as part of the replacement of the crossing, bad planning would be to ignore them completely and in only look at replacing a level crossing with a replacement road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I would be a bit worried about the proposals for Ashtown. It will direct all traffic away from the main street, which might sound good, but will turn it into a cul-de-sac. I imagine that will negatively affect businesses in the area with no through traffic.

VonLuck wrote: »
    I would be a bit worried about the proposals for Ashtown. It will direct all traffic away from the main street, which might sound good, but will turn it into a cul-de-sac. I imagine that will negatively affect businesses in the area with no through traffic.
    It might make the main street quieter and more pedestrian friendly. This should be a positive thing as every customer is a pedestrian - no drive through businesses in Ashtown.

The good planning is that are considering the cycleways as part of the replacement of the crossing, bad planning would be to ignore them completely and in only look at replacing a level crossing with a replacement road.

I have no objection to having such a feature

But its tokenism. A cycle lane on a bridge in that location (coolmine crossing) would not connect to anything. As there are no cycle lanes on that road. It seems odd to discard an option for that reason in that context.

If you are cycling from D15 into the city center the majority of the roads have no cycle lanes. Same if you are cycling around the area. Even where there are lanes Nothing joins up and nothing is to the same design. Lanes stop and start at random. If you are cycling with kids you often find there are significant gaps in your route which are difficult to cross with kids.

It feels like any time there have budget left over they do a bit of a cycle lane. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Some cycle lanes are better than none, certainly. But you can tell who ever creates these things has never cycles on them or talked or got feedback from anyone who does.

Personally I think it's difficult location to build in. So they looked for an excuse to eliminate it as an option. It's not completely without substance. But it's a very weak argument in the context of what's around it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Could be a sign of good planning, they are at least acknowledging the need to provide cycling infrastructure? The work Fingal did on the cycleway through Hazelbury Park and around the Ongar area was half decent, they've still made a hames of the junctions but it at least show's some desire to improve things.
    Unfortunately much of this cycling "infrastructure" is designed by people who will never use it and dont ubderstand the needs. Designing cycling infrastructure that is only half decent is simply a waste of money. It will lead to people continuing to cycle on the roads which then pisses off drivers who believe that cyclists should be on that new expensive cycle path. Some of those drivers are likely to punish cyclists for that.
    It is poor planning and really is a box ticking exercise.

VonLuck wrote: »

I very rarely go to Ashtown. If I do it's to pop into SuperValu because I'm near by. Or try a different cafe.

I would have assumed the majority of the foot fall is from the locals. I could be completely wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will the Sheephill Lane (I think it's called) reopen after the construction of the bridge?

Will the Sheephill Lane (I think it's called) reopen after the construction of the bridge?

Where is that?

Where is that?

It's a small laneway that's beside stationcourt. A pedestrian exit to the train station. There is a couple of houses there as well.

• Advertisement

Always wondered what that was called. Never been up there.

You say reopen. Is it closed? They could never close it, but they could open it to another road. I expect it's unlikely to be effected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

daymobrew wrote: »
    It might make the main street quieter and more pedestrian friendly. This should be a positive thing as every customer is a pedestrian - no drive through businesses in Ashtown.
    I very rarely go to Ashtown. If I do it's to pop into SuperValu because I'm near by. Or try a different cafe.

I would have assumed the majority of the foot fall is from the locals. I could be completely wrong..

Maybe so. I was just thinking of cars that are passing through to all those Ashtown estates and just pop in for a take away or something. The new road will be behind all the shops so the visual of the signage may not prompt the "oh I need to pick up XYZ". May not be a major impact, but it's hard to predict really.

I would generally avoid it as a pita with the traffic. Perhaps with the new arrangement it might be easier to access. It's not being bypassed. Generally pedestrian areas improve the footfall for shops. As it encourages people to linger and browse I assume.

Ashtown really isn't on the way to anywhere other than Ashtown. Any place it links to is easier accessed by a different route. It's always been like that for me.

If the housing suits you. It's a great location. It's kind tucked away but near everything at the same time. The greenway will develop into a great resource.

You say reopen. Is it closed? They could never close it, but they could open it to another road. I expect it's unlikely to be effected though.

According to local literature, it will be closed off for the duration of the construction of the bridge.

You'd have thought they could build temp road access into station court.

It's called Sheepmoor Lane.

The side view of the Station Court/Riverwood Court bridge showed that it would remain open. It's the route of the proposed Royal Canal Greenway.

It's a great route right now, for pedestrians and for those that want a cycle track parallel to Coolmine Road. I frequently use it for the latter.

According to local literature, it will be closed off for the duration of the construction of the bridge.
    Can you please point me to the local literature.
    Is it speculation or confirmed by Irish Rail?

daymobrew wrote: »
    Can you please point me to the local literature.
    Is it speculation or confirmed by Irish Rail?

A leaflet in the door from the from the group against it.

Is that perhaps not true, maybe it isn't closing?

• Advertisement

I think it would be difficult to build the bridge without closing it.

Advertisement