Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART coming to Maynooth line in 2024

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

Sheepmoor Lane is supposed to form part of the Greenway. Remember that? Iarnrod Eireann are taking a huge dump all over it.

I dunno. It just seems to me like IE have laid out the plans that work best for them and have given very little consideration to anything or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

D15er wrote: »
    Sheepmoor Lane is supposed to form part of the Greenway. Remember that? Iarnrod Eireann are taking a huge dump all over it.

I dunno. It just seems to me like IE have laid out the plans that work best for them and have given very little consideration to anything or anyone else.

I think it's going to be closed for the construction and reopened afterwards.

I think it's going to be closed for the construction and reopened afterwards.

Fair enough but my point was more on the wider question of the greenway. Sort of defeats the purpose of a greenway when all the trees have been cut down and you have three large concrete bridges crossing over it within half a mile of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The greenway itself might be another cycling & walking bridge between coolmine and Castleknock station. It's one of the proposals.

Does the new one at Cabra make that much of a difference? Haven't cycled there since they built it.

beauf wrote: »
    The greenway itself might be another cycling & walking bridge between coolmine and Castleknock station. It's one of the proposals.

Does the new one at Cabra make that much of a difference? Haven't cycled there since they built it.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. You would imagine an electrified train line with more frequent trains will make Waterways/Fingal even more determined to put the greenway on the Brompton/Delwood side, so they'll definitely need that bridge.

The place will be absolutely wrecked.

• Advertisement

I don't think it will be that bad. It would open it open it up to more people. Currently its almost impossible to cycle it. The bit before and after Ashtown is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fair enough but my point was more on the wider question of the greenway. Sort of defeats the purpose of a greenway when all the trees have been cut down and you have three large concrete bridges crossing over it within half a mile of each other.

Explain the three large concrete bridges within half a mile?

I actually think that the bridges will help with the greenway. No more issues at Coolmine Station for those travelling along the greenway having a clash with the traffic on Coolmine Road.

blanch152 wrote: »
    ....No more issues at Coolmine Station for those travelling along the greenway having a clash with the traffic on Coolmine Road.

What issues? While it will be nice not to have wait a even a few seconds or even a minute to cross the road. It's hardly a "clash". It's also a bit of a stretch calling the existing deep cutting path a "greenway".

blanch152 wrote: »
    Explain the three large concrete bridges within half a mile?

I actually think that the bridges will help with the greenway. No more issues at Coolmine Station for those travelling along the greenway having a clash with the traffic on Coolmine Road.

New pedestrian and cycle bridge at the existing level crossing. New road bridge at Riverwood/Stationcourt. Existing Dr Troy road bridge. Less than 700m between them. Go another 200m and you'll have another cycle and pedestrian bridge at Porterstown, so it's actually 4 bridges within a 1km stretch. Why we need that last one, I have no idea.

They will help with the Greenway in the sense that it will be a more efficient commuter route for cyclists. It just won't be much of a Greenway when all the trees are gone.

Edit: I know the response will be "it's only a pedestrian bridge" but making them cycle and wheelchair accessible means the footprint of these things is massive. The football pitches in the picture below give it some perspective.

Emerging-Preferred-Option-at-Porterstown-Level-Crossing-Replacement.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The proposed greenway bridge would be quite flat as it doesn't have to go over a train line and wires.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    The proposed greenway bridge would be quite flat as it doesn't have to go over a train line and wires.

I thought one of the objections was the height, of one proposal crossing the canal that it would overlook gardens. That doesn't sound "quite flat".

I thought one of the objections was the height, of one proposal crossing the canal that it would overlook gardens. That doesn't sound "quite flat".
    Well, compared to the ped bridges over the train line it wouldn't be high. I don't remember seeing the elevation of the proposed greenway bridge.
    An objection about something doesn't make it a fact :-)

I thought I saw a sketch couldn't find it. It would have to clear boats at a minimum.

I thought I saw a sketch couldn't find it. It would have to clear boats at a minimum.
    I looked for one too but could not find one. The public consultation docs only had satellite images showing the route, not side views.

True, it would have to clear boats (4 metres was a clearance height mentioned in an Irish Rail webinar) but it would be less than half the height of the bridge over the railway (9 metres - or even 11 metres).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. You would imagine an electrified train line with more frequent trains will make Waterways/Fingal even more determined to put the greenway on the Brompton/Delwood side, so they'll definitely need that bridge.

The place will be absolutely wrecked.

Wait til they go through the rigmarole of claiming back the ROW that were taken by the Delwood residents over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Issues raised in the Dail

https://youtu.be/e9uYSsDq4Kk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

So Leo has decided that we don't need to close the level crossing....

The same Leo that can exit his apartment block and simply turn left to avoid the tailbacks at Coolmine station on his doorstep?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many, still at least residents of St Mochta's won't have to put up with 350m of traffic as they come out of their estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fine so.

The quicker it's done the quicker the folly will be seen for what it is and the quicker the rest of Dublin and Kildare on the Kildare/Celbridge líne can get their share of the PT spoils.

The state of that letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galtsdrift

Personally I think the proposals for Riverwood and St Mochtas are like something you would see outside some wasteland tower block estate in some northern UK dump. Irish Rail cleary could not give two hoots about the areas. It is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It looked more like a bridge over a railway line to me, hard to say given we don't have any artist renderings.
    Would probably end up something akin to the new bridge carrying the ratoath road without the fancy span.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Lots of NIMBY. Just close all crossings and build bridges..case closed.

What's the source of that "letter" ? Is it genuine?

Up to now Leo always seemed like he wanted to avoid being associated with local politics and being a "Dublin politician" preferring to be associated with national issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galtsdrift

That looks fake as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

galtsdrift wrote: »
    That looks fake as hell
    Yeah, not too sure about its authenticity. Also a bit of me wonders if impersonating a minister in an "official" capacity is a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Very good forgery, but the words give it away. There is no way Leo would be so definitive on an issue. The letter sounds like an objection from a local resident or residents association that was copied and pasted.

And just for the record to whoever wrote the letter. There is NOT broad acceptance for the closure of the level crossing at Clonsilla.
    * Their traffic data must have been taken on a Sunday morning in the middle of the lockdown.
    * Will dramatically increase traffic on Dr Troy Bridge
    " No consideration made for Kellystown
    * The footbridge they are proposing is a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Very good forgery, but the words give it away. There is no way Leo would be so definitive on an issue. The letter sounds like an objection from a local resident or residents association that was copied and pasted.

And just for the record to whoever wrote the letter. There is NOT broad acceptance for the closure of the level crossing at Clonsilla.
    * Their traffic data must have been taken on a Sunday morning in the middle of the lockdown.
    * Will dramatically increase traffic on Dr Troy Bridge
    " No consideration made for Kellystown
    * The footbridge they are proposing is a monster.

Letter is legitimate. It is his submission to Irish Rail as part of the consultation process.

I contacted his constituency office and they emailed me the PDF file to confirm the same.

quazzy wrote: »
    Letter is legitimate. It is his submission to Irish Rail as part of the consultation process.

I contacted his constituency office and they emailed me the PDF file to confirm the same.

Why was the post from Fiddle Castro deleted? Are you also Fiddle Castro?

That's the problem with these kind of issues. You have to check what is put out by all sides including the official bodies. It's not uncommon for stats to be distorted . You never know which side is doing it, either to promote their own position or discredit the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fiddle Castro

Not sure why it was deleted, I didn't receive any notification or explanation?

• Advertisement

What's the source of it? Or did both of you coincidentally do a FOI request for it? ;)

Advertisement