Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bit of cycle clothing you have bought thats stood the test of time?

Options
  • 26-08-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering what you have bought that have impressed you and has lasted?

I bought a pair of Assos bib shorts 6 years ago and they are still going strong, seat cushioning is still amazing to this day.

Also bought a Rapha jacket (on sale) that still looks brand new, all velcro, zips and material is great condition even after a long skid onto my elbow.

Thought it might be good to share some tips for other cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bought a Verge defend jacket 6 years ago & still offers excellent winter protection to this day, pricey but well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 housebuild

Looks good. Might get some good tips out of this thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a pair of shimano SPD shoes which were bought during the combined euro/punt period. to be fair, they sat unused for about five or six years at one point, but they are still very usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Any of the gear I bought from Galibier clothing has all stood the test of time (well at least the 6 years I've been cycling!). The only item showing any wear is a pair of mitts I bought 5 years ago but as they've been my go to gloves for practically every ride, they don't owe me anything. A special shout out to the Mistral jacket that is still as waterproof and warm as the day I bought it 4 years ago.

Still waterproof, thats pretty impressive.

• Advertisement

I’ve got a pair of Lusso pro gel bib shorts. I’ve had them for three years now and they are still looking good and as comfortable as when I bought them.

They are about to be replaced with a new pair of Carbon V2 shorts, which the road.cc reviewer describes as his go to pair of shorts. I reckon if the guy who has tested god knows how many bib shorts uses these on a day to day basis, they must be pretty good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd wager it will be the shakedry jacket long term still early days, and waiting on a new one (current one is too big) I've had Gabbas, Orkaans, Parenti Vita' and Mossas, and Galibier Mistrals, and it's just a whole new level of comfort in the rain.

but otherwise leather mitts I got a few years ago. Other gloves wear down, tear, get thrown aside. These will last a long long time.

Special shout to the Santini Meridian jacket I have too. Just the nicest cold weather top I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought a pair of Altura ProGel bib shorts in 2011 and they are still in great condition and one of my 3 pairs of go-to shorts for all longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

For me it's Castelli Nanoflex armwarmers - they are waterproof and can be used in the winter and summer. In 6 years have never lost their shape. Covers me for rain when paired with a short slieved Gabba in autumn/winter or with just a light gillet in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Nothing in particular but i have found galibier to be the most economical brand when it comes to kit, lasts easily as long as expensive stuff at a mid range price.
    While dhb makes good stuff the price i havent found the quality be as high as galibier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I sense this thread will leave me with a huge bank bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

I have loads of DHB gear still going strong after years of use. Classic Thermal Bib Tights, Soft-shell jacket, Pocket rain jacket, Merino base-layers, Socks. Their rain gloves were ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not a specific bit of kit but I've hugely underrated the gilet. Easily one of the most functionally useful pieces of cycling clothing I've ever bought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Shakedry jacket - have mine since they first came out. A little flappier than the most recent versions, but still going strong.

+1 on the castelli nanotech arm warmers.

Quite a fan of my Torm jerseys - only a couple of years old, but they get very regular use and washing, and hold up well.

Did you have to size up in that shakedry jacket @brownian ?

Im usually a L/XL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A big fan of Galibier products - I don't think anything is out of rotation yet. My Mistral Jacket could probably do with re-waterproofing at this stage, but as I upgraded to the Pro, I may or may not get around to it. If I was to say one item though, it would be the Fire Feet socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

I bought an Aldi cycling jacket in 2011 just to wear in the wet weather. I still have it and it is still in great condition, granted it only gets worn from October to May.
    I crashed very heavily in April 2012 wearing this and patched up the various rips and tears and it is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

housebuild wrote: »

Im usually a L/XL

I found no, they are loose enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

3 items come to mind:

1. A pair of Spiuk Sector cycling shoes bought in Wheelworx around 2012 (They are actually triathlon shoes.) Of all the different shoes I've had, nothing has come close for fit, comfort and looks. I look after them meticulously (they're white) but I have to come to terms with the fact that they won't last forever.

2. A pair of Specialized arm warmers bought in Cycleways years ago. They have never lost their shape despite being used/washed over and over again. They never budge when on unlike many of the other brands.

3. A Sugoi winter jacket spotted heavily discounted in T K Maxx circa 2013. I use it almost daily for commuting. It will be going into its 7th winter soon with no requirement to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Altura winter jacket bought nearly ten years ago in Cyclelogical. I think it was half price as well! Still does the job on cold days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

2. A pair of Specialized arm warmers bought in Cycleways years ago. They have never lost their shape despite being used/washed over and over again. They never budge when on unlike many of the other brands

Same item bought in the same shop

housebuild wrote: »

Im usually a L/XL

I bought it in those two sizes at the time, and sent the XL back.

FWIW, I'm 5-8 and 12 stone, with longish arms. There's plenty of room for jerseys and base layers and whatever. I usually keep it in one of those water-bottle-storage-cylinder things, along with an RSA 'shower cap' helmet cover, for when it's truly peeing down (like right now!)

I have it since Oct 2016; I believe the more recent models have elastic elements and may be a different fit.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A big fan of Galibier products - I don't think anything is out of rotation yet. My Mistral Jacket could probably do with re-waterproofing at this stage, but as I upgraded to the Pro, I may or may not get around to it. If I was to say one item though, it would be the Fire Feet socks!

They are great, all right. They do eventually wear through on the toes, but they have been my favourite bike socks, in warm orange, for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

An Onza s/s cycling jersey, a pair of Cannondale cycling shorts and a Ruddy Project winter jacket bought circa 1992. Jersey died this year, other two still going.

Close second some Assos Airblock bibtights, Airblock Jacket and winter gloves bought in 2003

Teeny bit off topic - but can anyone recommend a good pair of SPD-compatible road shoes? I have Fizik Uomo M3s (I think), which are fine, but a bit loose on me in the size I have, and the ratchet straps don't quite tighten enough (first world problems...). Next size down would be too short in the toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

brownian wrote: »
    Teeny bit off topic - but can anyone recommend a good pair of SPD-compatible road shoes? I have Fizik Uomo M3s (I think), which are fine, but a bit loose on me in the size I have, and the ratchet straps don't quite tighten enough (first world problems...). Next size down would be too short in the toe.
    I recently got a pair of Bont Riots and find them exceptionally comfortable. They are heat mouldable but I didn't need that, it helps apparently with fine tuning the fit. They are ratchet tightening and I really like them, the BOA on my Spesh shoes need to be adjusted mid spin now and again so they are probably on the way out.

On the best bit of kit, well I bought a Campag jersey about 5 years ago, long sleeve roubaix type lining and I just keep going back to it. It was tight on me when I started and now its flappy, it probably stretching more so than me shrinking. But I love it, autumn and spring and sometimes winter too with the right base layers. Well used and washed but in super condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ronhill-Stride-Windspeed-Mens-Running-Jacket-Grey-Lightweight-Water-Resistant/372924889629?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought this as a running jacket but now i also fold it up small and stick it in the gilet for the days i cycle when theres a possibility of rain. Excellent light jacket for the money especially for anyone who does more than one activity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Altura wind and rainproof winter jacket, go it in Cycle Superstore, reduced from €140 (I think) to €75 about 12 years ago. I use it most weekends from Oct-March/April.

Decathlon shorts 900 version. Using them for years and they are excellent. I've never tried a brand like Galibier as they are so good. I got two ordinary ones and two that were liners for MTB shorts, removed them and I use them under ordinary shorts for touring in summer and autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Castelli Alpha jacket. Nearly look forward to winter & inclement weather to get back into its cosy comfort. Usual castelli sizing- go a size up. Nice race fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Santini Bib shorts. Bought two pair over ten years ago and still my “go to shorts” for sportive/ races etc.

Advertisement