Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the bees knees when it comes to kitchens

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

edit: I wrote this before listermint posted so it's not a response to his post as such.

So if MFC=melamine-faced chipboard, is it correct to say that if you want a painted finish you have to go MDF?

The two attractions of MDF for me are durability and length of service.

I currently have an Ikea kitchen of unknown age, I'm guessing 15 years, and it's failed in two ways.

The hinges have broken, which might be fixable with new hardware except that the screw holes are shagged so it probably needs a load of glue and bodgery. I'd expect MDF to be better in this respect.

Secondly, the melamine has yellowed, stained and chipped badly, pretty much everywhere. I don't think this is easily fixable, although there are companies that repaint melamine cabinets a lot of the staining is in areas which don't look easy to access without ripping out the cabinets, and I wouldn't be confident that they would stand up to being refitted.

I'm hoping that I could get 20-30 years out of a bespoke painted kitchen, with a repaint to spruce it up or change colour maybe half way through that. Meanwhile If I chip the surface it can be simply touched up.

So it seems to me that a bespoke kitchen is probably twice the price but gives probably twice the length of service, and is easier to keep looking good throuhout that period.

But maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into spending this crippling amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

listermint wrote: »
    For me denser or more waterproof MDF type materials are not worth it. There is no desernible difference in how that will wear over time nor paintability. Its an extra cost for no reasonable gain and a salesmans trick.
    You mean compared to normal MDF, or chipboard?

I take your point about normal MDF probably being fine, but doubt it's a salesman's trick, I had to specifically ask for the details of the MR MDF material used and I'd say 99% of purchasers don't give a sh!t.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

For me denser or more waterproof MDF type materials are not worth it. There is no desernible difference in how that will wear over time nor paintability. Its an extra cost for no reasonable gain

I think that's it in a nutshell listermint.

Unless money isn't an issue, most peoples budget would be better spent on quality fronts/worktops/appliances etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    edit: I wrote this before listermint posted so it's not a response to his post as such.

So if MFC=melamine-faced chipboard, is it correct to say that if you want a painted finish you have to go MDF?

The two attractions of MDF for me are durability and length of service.

I currently have an Ikea kitchen of unknown age, I'm guessing 15 years, and it's failed in two ways.

The hinges have broken, which might be fixable with new hardware except that the screw holes are shagged so it probably needs a load of glue and bodgery. I'd expect MDF to be better in this respect.

Secondly, the melamine has yellowed, stained and chipped badly, pretty much everywhere. I don't think this is easily fixable, although there are companies that repaint melamine cabinets a lot of the staining is in areas which don't look easy to access without ripping out the cabinets, and I wouldn't be confident that they would stand up to being refitted.

I'm hoping that I could get 20-30 years out of a bespoke painted kitchen, with a repaint to spruce it up or change colour maybe half way through that. Meanwhile If I chip the surface it can be simply touched up.

So it seems to me that a bespoke kitchen is probably twice the price but gives probably twice the length of service, and is easier to keep looking good throuhout that period.

But maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into spending this crippling amount of money.

Dont get me started on Ikea stuff. Absolutely rubbish. spend circa 1K on a unit for previous apartment. Doors hanging off in a few months, sagging. Eventually failed. Crap.

Dont get me started on Ikea stuff. Absolutely rubbish. spend circa 1K on a unit for previous apartment. Doors hanging off in a few months, sagging. Eventually failed. Crap.

Ikea kitchens are just too much of a compromise.

3mm hardboard backs and a stupid aluminium bar as a top.

And that stupid '25 year guarantee', when will people learn that a guarantee against defects in 'materials and workmanship' does not mean the kitchen is guaranteed to last 25 years.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My kitchen is a painted kitchen, at least that's what they called it, but I am almost certain it's not MDF, it's definitely not heavy enough.

If there's a grain showing, it's probably a timber frame with a veneered centre panel. Ash would be the most common timber for the frames now.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Graham wrote: »
    If there's a grain showing, it's probably a timber frame with a veneered centre panel. Ash would be the most common timber for the frames now.

Yea it's ash, finally found it on their site.

Ash door, MFC cabinets.

awec wrote: »
    Ash door, MFC cabinets.

Probably the most popular choice (outside of of 5-piece foil wrapped shaker).

I might add, with good reason. Great combo of good materials and value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Baileykn

SVI40 wrote: »
    I had my kitchen replaced back in February. Got it from Kube in Balbriggan. I found them to be extremely professional, helpful, and the designer also came up with some great ideas to maximise space.

Fitters were excellent too.

I'd recommend a visit to them.

You must have been very lucky, just curious of your experience should you ever need to go back to them. Hopefully you wont ever have to. Shocking bad service from a condescending attitude of "designers" of overpriced imported kitchens, which are only guaranteed for 5 years!! Would urge anyone to avoid them like the plague.

I had my kitchen replaced back in February. Got it from Kube in Balbriggan. I found them to be extremely professional, helpful, and the designer also came up with some great ideas to maximise space.

Not many would agree I would think.
    Awful company,.IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Had an awful consultation experience with Kube.

Would have been better going to IKEA and designing the kitchen myself.

Won't knock a company on one bad experience, but the quality definitely wasn't in the product either.

From what I saw they were selling kits and trying to pitch it as a bespoke handmade kitchen.

From what I saw they were selling kits and trying to pitch it as a bespoke handmade kitchen.[/quote

100% Agreed. Id say something even at that and the astronomical price for flatpack if you were buying irish...but.no, thats not the case either.
    Shocking bad aftersales in my experience compounded the whole crap experience for us from start to finish. Each to their own but I wouldnt recommend them to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Having worked as a cabinet maker and kitchen fitter years ago. It amazes me the amount of money people will literally waste on kitchen cabinets. It's the same chip or partical board frame behind no matter how expensive the doors are.

I see people on the property forums on here budgeting €15- €20k for a kitchen and all I can think is "Would ya cop the Fcuk on". The flat pack yokes from IKEA and similar cost peanuts and in fact being engineered and factory produced will likely fit and hold together better than overpriced "bespoke" "handmade" cabinets (see some lad screwing them together).

Bit of a rant but of all the things you could waste your money on don't do this. Spend it on a decent cooker or something instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

Baileykn wrote: »
    You must have been very lucky, just curious of your experience should you ever need to go back to them. Hopefully you wont ever have to. Shocking bad service from a condescending attitude of "designers" of overpriced imported kitchens, which are only guaranteed for 5 years!! Would urge anyone to avoid them like the plague.

Yep, I did have to go back to them after the install. There was a tiny chip on one of the doors, and one of the glass shelves. Replaced with out any fuss or issue.

As with all companies, some will find them great, some will have horrific experiences with the. There are also some, and not saying you are one of them, that have totally unreasonable expectations.

• Advertisement

Yep, I did have to go back to them after the install. There was a tiny chip on one of the doors, and one of the glass shelves. Replaced with out any fuss or issue.

As with all companies, some will find them great, some will have horrific experiences with the. There are also some, and not saying you are one of them, that have totally unreasonable expectations.

Glad you had a better experience than most. And i do agree with you, some peoples expectations of a business can far exceed what is reasonable or practical. That unfortunately was not my experience, nor that of others. I'll take up carpentry myself or buy from ikea before darkening their doors again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

Baileykn wrote: »
    Glad you had a better experience than most. And i do agree with you, some peoples expectations of a business can far exceed what is reasonable or practical. That unfortunately was not my experience, nor that of others. I'll take up carpentry myself or buy from ikea before darkening their doors again :)

Sorry to hear you had a **** experience with them, especially since they are not cheap either!

Do you mind me asking what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Danoli123

Hi
    Would anyone have a warranty booklet for a Kube kitchen
    Somehow they never sent one to me.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeyodee

The kitchen I'm replacing is approx 30 years old, solid wood, has
    a lot of wear and tear, has been painted and fixed a few times so it's truly end of life. Will be sorry to see it go.

I've been shopping around a few places and it seems that everywhere is effectively flat pack wholesale kitchens in mdf or wrapped in that pvc stuff but the prices are just astronomical and it's not even solid wood!
    Did I miss something during the last 30 years where kitchen prices have inflated a few thousand % so what isn't solid wood.

I've gone to some of the main places around without mentioning names but a few on the long mile road and then a couple of "bespoke" places.

Are solid wood kitchens a thing of the past now or are is that a reflection of the prices these days?

Oncraft kitchens and interiors county carlow

Advertisement