Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Hedge Trimmers?

Options
  • 26-08-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

Recommendations? Cotoneaster hedge. Cord's fine. Just can't take the weight of my petrol driven one any more :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Aldi have one this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

Is it some sort of Aldi brand? Sorry, I have no access to an Aldi. I'd most likely be going through Amazon. The range there is pretty daunting, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Would battery be a betetr option ? thinking of purchasing myself but not sure if battery is way to go

https://robertkee.ie/product/husqvarna-115ihd45-cordless-hedgetrimmer

https://robertkee.ie/product/stihl-hsa56-battery-hedgetrimmer

Each to their own, Toon. Personally? I've about given up on batteries. My neighbour and I both have had high quality range tools, the batteries of which have failed. Then ye find out!

Things that plug in just seem to keep going. And, I find, ye'd needn't spent a ton of money. €75.00 would be plenty to expect to pay for a corded.

:) Well; Having just spent the time since replying last, much bloody sweat and tears and not a little swearing ....!

Bosch AHS 480-16 48cm 450W 230V Corded Hedge Trimmer.

About €65, from Screwfix. Not my first choice. But, it's available and their price is a delight.

The more I look out at that cotoneaster, growing like a chin, the more I can't wait for this damn thing to arrive!

And do remember; That's what I want it for. My hedge is long since tamed and of the desired height and depth. Now, I just want to keep the freshly growing stubble back.

Anyone wants to know how it goes? Post here, or PM me, in due course. I'll let ye know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Like yourself hadn't much faith in battery.

But a relation got a lively battery one from Aldi I think 2 years ago the power of it :eek:

Good battery life too it was fully charged and did about 30 mins trimming and it didn't even drop down 1 if the 4 charge lights. Unfortunately can't be more accurate as to whether it used 10 or 20% etc

Very impressed with it tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I invested in an excellent pair from Lenehans hardware by post. I cannot use a mower etc because of disability but with these can sit on the grass and cut around me. And they are great with hedges too and run on battery for over an hour. Delivery was the day after I ordered and free shipping over E50

They are Draper; almost E70 but worth every cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭toonarmy1

Stigura wrote: »
    Each to their own, Toon. Personally? I've about given up on batteries. My neighbour and I both have had high quality range tools, the batteries of which have failed. Then ye find out!

Things that plug in just seem to keep going. And, I find, ye'd needn't spent a ton of money. €75.00 would be plenty to expect to pay for a corded.

Dam it stigura , was hoping the battery models would be better. would need a very long cable to run electric and didnt want to get petrol one. I will need to do more research i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Stigura wrote: »
    :) Well; Having just spent the time since replying last, much bloody sweat and tears and not a little swearing ....!

Bosch AHS 480-16 48cm 450W 230V Corded Hedge Trimmer.

About €65, from Screwfix. Not my first choice. But, it's available and their price is a delight.

The more I look out at that cotoneaster, growing like a chin, the more I can't wait for this damn thing to arrive!

And do remember; That's what I want it for. My hedge is long since tamed and of the desired height and depth. Now, I just want to keep the freshly growing stubble back.

Anyone wants to know how it goes? Post here, or PM me, in due course. I'll let ye know.
    I think that is the exact model I bought from Argos last week. We fired it up on Saturday to trim the hedge which it did excellently until I got to the last 2 metres or so when I trimmed the electrical cord! I wonder is this a record?

I borrowed an extra long pole type one from a neighbour to finish up. It would have been excellent for the tops of our 7 foot hedge but was a nightmare to wield for the close up work.

I’ll be repairing the Bosch and hope to use it more successfully for years to come.

:) It came, hour and a half ago. In under fifty minutes, I have my hedge done and am sat here having a sly and smug pint ~ No trouble holding the glass up.

How long is that cord? Anybody know? Only, it's pretty much the exact length of my hedge! :D I ran the small extension reel from my usual point. That reaches to the top end of the hedge. Trimmers lead Just did the rest!

Okay; It couldn't reach, over the gate and to the other side. But, a few feet with the sheers .....

Yeah. Over all? Pleased with it. a 60cm sword would have been heaven, as that would have taken the entire top off with one sweep. Never mind. I have to go out there for the other side.

Light and quiet though, aren't they, Marcusm? No more standing there, scowling as ye try to get the 'Oomph' to hoist a stinking great petrol thing up in the air again! I Gave that thing to my neighbour. Bloody welcome to it. He's built like a troll anyway.

Yep. Overall? Satisfied I've now got my hedge sorted out. Next time it gets a bit fuzzy? I'll just fetch my Bosch burger and give it a swift once over. No need to spend months in the gym, gearing up for swinging it about :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement