Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobotty wrote: »
    I'm puzzled as to why it was a resigning matter
    In the case of the senator, it was her old Westminster office account which understandably might not be audited until the end of the year

I wouldn't mind the DUP supporting 27 stone Stephen Nolan,whose obesity could do with an audit seeing as he seems to blame everyone else for him being at risk for covid
    No personal audit on his belly and lack of exercise

Her old Westminister office account which was a joint personal account with her husband?

Something is off about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »
    So explain to everyone why Elisha had to resign

Because she was late repaying taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Well done Francie. Eventually we extract a nugget of truth. Your actual point turns out to be that when they were caught they paid the money back.

Well done Francie. Eventually we extract a nugget of truth. Your actual point turns out to be that when they were caught they paid the money back.

So....big breath here now Truth...NOBODY made off with anything.

If you are late 'repaying a loan' what is that called? 'Making off with the money' or 'late payment'?

Take as much time as you need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That wouldn't be a resigning matter in many of our political partys Francis, you have to get inside the mindframe of some in here to try and understand why such a silly question would be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Good to see SF deal with it swiftly once it came to light, let's hope they retain that standard if/when they get into power. They might have to do this a bit more often in the future as they have a couple of loose cannons in their pack.

FWIW does anybody know who's in the running to replace her in the Seanad. I would think it would be another woman from NI to keep the balance.

Nobotty wrote: »
    I'm puzzled as to why it was a resigning matter
    In the case of the senator, it was her old Westminster office account which understandably might not be audited until the end of the year

I wouldn't mind the DUP supporting 27 stone Stephen Nolan,whose obesity could do with an audit seeing as he seems to blame everyone else for him being at risk for covid
    No personal audit on his belly and lack of exercise

If you can't see why it isn't a resigning matter then you've low standards.

Not sure what Nolan's weight has to do with the story either. Looks like you're trying to discredit the messenger.

She wasn't late. It's not as if she didn't notice £10,000 extra in her account. She paid it back when she was caught and challenged on it, not before.

If you are late 'repaying a loan' what is that called? 'Making off with the money' or 'late payment'?

There are unanswered questions, as there always are about the murky world of Sinn Fein finances.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are unanswered questions, as there always are about the murky world of Sinn Fein finances.

Would you be in favour of an internal report such as the one FG conducted into the Bailey/Madigan controversy blanch?

KevRossi wrote: »

She wasn't late. It's not as if she didn't notice £10,000 extra in her account. She paid it back when she was caught and challenged on it, not before.

Not excusing her mistake for a moment. You are correct.

But when somebody repays fully you cannot say they 'made off with' or 'stole' anything.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Would you be in favour of an internal report such as the one FG conducted into the Bailey/Madigan controversy blanch?

I think SIPO need to look into the myriad issues surrounding Sinn Fein finances. Do you think that it is good financial management and transparency to not notice 30k for six months?

Not to mention siphoning off a bequest meant for 32-county Sinn Fein to 6-county Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

But when somebody repays fully you cannot say they 'made off with' or 'stole' anything.

Will she be putting in a compensation claim for the negative interest she incurred while minding the money for six months?

McMurphy wrote: »

I'd have questions about WTF Revenue/SIPO/CAB/The Gardai etc are doing if there is 'murkiness' or some fraud being perpetuated.

I'd have questions about WTF Revenue/SIPO/CAB/The Gardai etc are doing if there is 'murkiness' or some fraud being perpetuated.

SIPO are asking questions all right, let's see where it goes.

Do wonder whether they have enough powers, though.

Will she be putting in a compensation claim for the negative interest she incurred while minding the money for six months?

Maybe she'll take her lead from other Senators and TD's, MP's and MLA's actions when caught up in dubious/dodgy 'it was just resting in my account' financial dealings?

Maybe we could come up with a list for her to contact?

Maybe she'll take her lead from other Senators and TD's, MP's and MLA's actions when caught up in dubious/dodgy 'it was just resting in my account' financial dealings?

Maybe we could come up with a list for her to contact?

I am sure she can get plenty of advice on how to spend unexplained windfalls from within Sinn Fein.

I am sure she can get plenty of advice on how to spend unexplained windfalls from within Sinn Fein.

I was more thinking along the lines of advice on how to keep your career by ignoring any responsibility for financial mistakes. How to climb up on the high moral ground oblivious to the fact that there are questions about your own past dealings.

Quite a list of advisors for her to contact, would you agree?

Poor Elisha being forced to resign for no reason at all - and by a woman happy to snuggle up with the likes of Gerry Adams, Dessie Ellis, Ferris, Story, Garda MCabe's killers etc etc etc with no problem at all

Poor Mary must have lost the plot completely

Poor Elisha being forced to resign for no reason at all - and by a woman happy to snuggle up with the likes of Gerry Adams, Dessie Ellis, Ferris, Story, Garda MCabe's killers etc etc etc with no problem at all

Why do you insist on lying...she resigned because the delay in repaying taxpayers money was unacceptable to her leader and the party.

They should give back the money they stole from the Northern Bank as on Francie's Sinn Fein logic (not a member though) that would mean that they didn't rob the Bank in the first place. Just late giving back.

Though in Sinn Fein land "late paying it back" is a far more serious issue than say murdering 50 people. Odd

They should give back the money they stole from the Northern Bank as on Francie's Sinn Fein logic (not a member though) that would mean that they didn't rob the Bank in the first place. Just late giving back.

Though in Sinn Fein land "late paying it back" is a far more serious issue than say murdering 50 people. Odd

Annnnnnnd pivot. :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

I think it completely right that the 3 SHinners resigned but it might be a good time to post this putdown of the high moral grounders here. (the acolytes and defenders of the other political parties)

Food for thought.

EK2OrWcX0AAzd8H?format=jpg&name=large

So explain to everyone why Elisha had to resign

I can see you're great at following a flow of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Look over there.

Look over there.

Too bloody right with some of these guys. :) Some neck.

Legally it can be considered theft if you do not take appropriate steps to return money that is not yours.

Leaving money that you know you have no entitlement to, to stew in your account for 6 months and only returning it when it was demanded of you is at best nefarious, at worst theft.

Legally it can be considered theft if you do not take appropriate steps to return money that is not yours.

Leaving money that you know you have no entitlement to, to stew in your account for 6 months and only returning it when it was demanded of you is at best nefarious, at worst theft.

Give us an example of somebody who repaid money when a mistake was uncovered and was done for 'theft'?

Give us an example of somebody who repaid money when a mistake was uncovered and was done for 'theft'?

I'm not trawling through papers looking for individual cases to satisfy you, the legal basis of this is upheld in The Commercial Bank of Scotland v Rhind (1860) https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff8c760d03e7f57ecd2e8

And yes, this case law is still valid in the RoI.

What she did was illegal, doubtful they will ever go after her.

I'm not trawling through papers looking for individual cases to satisfy you, the legal basis of this is upheld in The Commercial Bank of Scotland v Rhind (1860) https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5a8ff8c760d03e7f57ecd2e8

And yes, this case law is still valid in the RoI.

What she did was illegal, doubtful they will ever go after her.

The Bank had to go to court to retrieve the money or prove ownership of it.

How is that relevant to this case?

Then read this if you want recent examples http://www.cearta.ie/2020/06/finders-are-not-keepers-if-money-is-just-resting-in-your-account-and-even-if-you-have-no-idea-how-it-got-there-you-cant-keep-it-you-have-to-make-restitution-of-the-mistaken-payment-or-run-the-r/

You'd want to be some utter fool to believe McCallion would not have kept that money if she wasn't called out on it by Stephen Nolan. I'm only glad MLMD dealt with it swiftly instead of dealing with it the way you do.

• Advertisement

I think it completely right that the 3 SHinners resigned but it might be a good time to post this putdown of the high moral grounders here. (the acolytes and defenders of the other political parties)

Food for thought.

EK2OrWcX0AAzd8H?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/eight-politicians-swear-statements-to-receive-full-expenses-for-lockdown-period-1.4391105

Yes, it seems that one party dominates the gravy train all right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement