Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,931 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Ok, so all the party's in the Dail say they want to tackle a homeless crisis - you say doesn't exist, and not only that - when it's pointed out to you that Sinn Fein aren't the only party mentioning it - "at least FGs policies are more realistic"

For some reason, I'm reminded of a poster on these threads during the election who was giving out about "SF saying they'll build 60k social houses" along with some derogatory comments about the calibre of people who might avail of them.

When asked whom they intended to give their vote, "FG" they said...... **Linked to FG preelection vow to build 60k social houses** tumbleweed.

But anyway, there's no homeless crisis according to yourself. Great news..

Who are you talking to? Are you talking about a homeless crisis or a housing crisis where young people can't buy a house where Mammy and Daddy live?

Some perspective is needed. Our statistics on homelessness are much better than our nearest neighbours, both on this island and on the nearest one. Listening to the poverty industry, you would not know this.

We have also finally realised that unsustainable development out into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow is no longer possible and that brownfield and high-density are the way forward. Unfortunately, there is an entitlement class that still want the forever house with the trampoline in the back garden, but that simply won't be possible if we are to build a better and greener future.

It is very easy to create soundbites around homeless crises and housing crises, conflate the two, throw your hands up in the air, complain about the gubberment not doing something, pluck fantasy unworkable ideas from the gibberish that SF produce and say it can all be solved. It is redolent of Trump, Johnson and Brexit, and why so many people have been fooled into voting for the charlatans of Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I wasn't alive post-WW1 or post-WW2. The question never arose for me. .

Exactly. Maybe think about what had to be done to normalise society. Some people are very comfortable and smug in their peace and stability, others know it is fragile and always a work in progress.

*I find you cut off point for justifiable violence or people's attitude to it, hilariously convenient for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Who are you talking to? Are you talking about a homeless crisis or a housing crisis where young people can't buy a house where Mammy and Daddy live?

I'm talking about the homeless crisis that some on these threads reckon doesn't exist, the same homeless criss FG specifically were pledging to deal with. here
    that the homelessness crisis is ended and the time people spend in emergency accommodation is as short as possible

It is very easy to create soundbites around homeless crises and housing crises, conflate the two, throw your hands up in the air, complain about the gubberment not doing something, pluck fantasy unworkable ideas from the gibberish that SF produce and say it can all be solved. It is redolent of Trump, Johnson and Brexit, and why so many people have been fooled into voting for the charlatans of Sinn Fein.

I suspect you'll be firing off a strongly worded letter to your local FG branch - condemning them for coming up with catchy soundbites and gibberish blanch.

Make sure and do so in recycled paper though, in line with your green credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ok, so all the party's in the Dail say they want to tackle a homeless crisis - you say doesn't exist, and not only that - when it's pointed out to you that Sinn Fein aren't the only party mentioning it - "at least FGs policies are more realistic"

(Snipped for irrelevance)

But anyway, there's no homeless crisis according to yourself. Great news..

You are so adamant that there is a homeless crisis. Maybe you can provide me with some figures to change my mind. How many people are classified as homeless? How many of them genuinely can't afford to rent or buy a place some where in Ireland? How many of them have turned down a council/state funded house? You put up a link showing that 25 to 35,000 new houses are being built every year. If this isn't enough, how many more are needed? 12,000 will be for social housing. How many more are needed?

It doesn't look like a crisis to me. It looks like an industry. I'm all for people getting some support from the government to help them buy their first home whether its in the form of tax relief or a reduction in the deposit required if they can show a history of paying rent every month etc. But handouts like what SF are advocating and what their supporters are calling for are BS.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You are so adamant that there is a homeless crisis. Maybe you can provide me with some figures to change my mind. How many people are classified as homeless? How many of them genuinely can't afford to rent or buy a place some where in Ireland? How many of them have turned down a council/state funded house? You put up a link showing that 25 to 35,000 new houses are being built every year. If this isn't enough, how many more are needed? 12,000 will be for social housing. How many more are needed?

It doesn't look like a crisis to me. It looks like an industry. I'm all for people getting some support from the government to help them buy their first home whether its in the form of tax relief or a reduction in the deposit required if they can show a history of paying rent every month etc. But handouts like what SF are advocating and what their supporters are calling for are BS.

You are the one disputing all the major party's describing a homeless crisis, including sums of money set aside to tackle it, and pledges to end it, and you want me to post figures to dispute something you dispute?

If you have evidence it's all a con job, and the party's (including FG who recently posted to end the homeless crisis) are talking nonsense, isn't it your responsibility to let us see it?

I'm not in dispute with them, you are, so off you go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Some perspective is needed. Our statistics on homelessness are much better than our nearest neighbours, both on this island and on the nearest one. Listening to the poverty industry, you would not know this.

We have also finally realised that unsustainable development out into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow is no longer possible and that brownfield and high-density are the way forward. Unfortunately, there is an entitlement class that still want the forever house with the trampoline in the back garden, but that simply won't be possible if we are to build a better and greener future.

Ah well we must be doing a great job if we are doing better than the UK in homeless numbers. Is that really an acceptable level better than someone else who's having a homeless crisis.

Same ****e about how much better we are doing than UK with Covid, so ****ing what, we still have failed on numerous areas, nursing homes, no proper testing and tracing after 6 months, nó testing at airports, but hey were doing better than the Brits

You are the one disputing all the major party's describing a homeless crisis, including sums of money set aside to tackle it, and pledges to end it, and you want me to post figures to dispute something you dispute?

If you have evidence it's all a con job, and the party's (including FG who recently posted to end the homeless crisis) are talking nonsense, isn't it your responsibility to let us see it?

I'm not in dispute with them, you are, so off you go.

Like I said, its an industry. I don't believe that there is a crisis. I have seen no evidence to support this. What I do see are houses being built and sold. People moving into them and getting on with their lives. How come they can do it yet there is a "crisis". A couple of guys I work with bought their first houses in the last year. They had to move out of Dublin to one of the commuter counties to do it but that was a sacrifice they were willing to make to get their own place.

I just had a look at Daft.ie and there are dozens of affordable places to rent in and around Dublin. They may not be great but if its a choice between that and being homeless, I know which I would choose. Then again I'm not a SF voter expecting the government/taxpayer to hand me everything for free.

Like I said, its an industry. I don't believe that there is a crisis. I have seen no evidence to support this. What I do see are houses being built and sold. People moving into them and getting on with their lives. How come they can do it yet there is a "crisis". A couple of guys I work with bought their first houses in the last year. They had to move out of Dublin to one of the commuter counties to do it but that was a sacrifice they were willing to make to get their own place.

I just had a look at Daft.ie and there are dozens of affordable places to rent in and around Dublin. They may not be great but if its a choice between that and being homeless, I know which I would choose. Then again I'm not a SF voter expecting the government/taxpayer to hand me everything for free.

You'll have to do better than that I'm afraid, it's one thing accusing one party of "populist BS bandwagoning" another to claim "ah well at least FGs policies about the same political bandwagoning are more realistic than SFs" and yet another to disregard all of the political partys in the states proclaiming there's a homeless crisis.

However you are on the road to absolutely nowhere if you think for one minute that I would bother my barney to provide you with figures or statistics ref a homeless crisis when you already admit to having a pretty solid disposition on it anyway.
    you wrote:
    I don't believe that there is a crisis

So all the party's are wrong even those who are wrong, but have kind of more realistic policies than others to deal with a crisis that doesn't exist anyway*

*according to you.

Ah well we must be doing a great job if we are doing better than the UK in homeless numbers. Is that really an acceptable level better than someone else who's having a homeless crisis.

Same ****e about how much better we are doing than UK with Covid, so ****ing what, we still have failed on numerous areas, nursing homes, no proper testing and tracing after 6 months, nó testing at airports, but hey were doing better than the Brits

Out of the 150 countries in the world, there are only a handful which are doing better than Ireland on homelessness.

You'll have to do better than that I'm afraid, it's one thing accusing one party of "populist BS bandwagoning" another to claim "ah well at least FGs policies about the same political bandwagoning are more realistic than SFs" and yet another to disregard all of the political partys in the states proclaiming there's a homeless crisis.

However you are on the road to absolutely nowhere if you think for one minute that I would bother my barney to provide you with figures or statistics ref a homeless crisis when you already admit to having a pretty solid disposition on it anyway.

So all the party's are wrong even those who are wrong, but have kind of more realistic policies than others to deal with a crisis that doesn't exist anyway*

*according to you.

Ok so you're happy to just accept that there is a "crisis" because politicians and those with a vested interest say there is. You can't back it up with figures. That's fine. Any response to my point that people are buying houses (that are supposedly unaffordable) or that there are dozens of affordable places to rent in and around Dublin during this so called crisis? How are SF going to change this situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Sinn Fein have successfully gotten the building of houses in south Dublin blocked, add that to the nimbyism of o Riordan in Clontarf and you’d almost start to think that the ‘left’ doesn’t want any houses to be built so that they can keep on complaining about a housing crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sinn Fein have successfully gotten the building of houses in south Dublin blocked, add that to the nimbyism of o Riordan in Clontarf and you’d almost start to think that the ‘left’ doesn’t want any houses to be built so that they can keep on complaining about a housing crisis

Social Democrats also try to block the development of apartments in Santry as they are an unconscionable and subhuman 12 storeys tall.

Then you see SF in power up North and see the great work being done there to tackle homelessness......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Social Democrats also try to block the development of apartments in Santry as they are an unconscionable and subhuman 12 storeys tall.

Then you see SF in power up North and see the great work being done there to tackle homelessness......

It’s funny that they have hidden it behind maintaining the house of a 1916 martyr.

They obviously know very little about the O Rahilly, a fellow Kerryman & after whom my GAA club is named.

He was born in Kerry, went to secondary school in Clongowes and lived in the states for over a decade- spent less than 10 years in Dub so even if he moved into that house on day one of being in Dublin- he would have been there for prob about 8 years.

His home was Kerry & he was a kerryman- hazel chu has been played like a fiddle here by the SF pressure group.

Are the state going to try buy the o rahillys home in New York? He prob lived there longer than he did in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Out of the 150 countries in the world, there are only a handful which are doing better than Ireland on homelessness.

Misery junkies won't like this.

Haven't you heard? Ireland is a horrible place to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

is northern Ireland one of those countries , given that SF have been in "power" there for years

mynamejeff wrote: »
    is northern Ireland one of those countries , given that SF have been in "power" there for years

No, doing much worse the last we looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, doing much worse the last we looked.

The North is doing worse in almost every metric we know, and gets a nice fat handout from London every year as well. Yet, they run a ****show up there.

Even Covid cases are worse up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

markodaly wrote: »
    The North is doing worse in almost every metric we know, and gets a nice fat handout from London every year as well. Yet, they run a ****show up there.

Even Covid cases are worse up there.

Jesus lad desperate when you blaming the shinners for Covid cases now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

afro man wrote: »

Well, they are in government up there are they not?

Remember, MoN herself blamed the Bobby Storey 'funeral' Political Rally as being damaging to the public health measures they are trying to enact across the North.

markodaly wrote: »
    Well, they are in government up there are they not?

Remember, MoN herself blamed the Bobby Storey 'funeral' Political Rally as being damaging to the public health measures they are trying to enact across the North.

When Mary Lou put to MM today in Dáil that they had 21 advisors, first words outta his mouth the funeral.

He is turning into Leo and his tactic of asw everything with but SF. That tactic ended well in election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

afro man wrote: »

dont be knocking the entertainment. the things they come out with is better than telly

Today has been a great day for SF today and they didn't have to do anything ����

Today has been a great day for SF today and they didn't have to do anything ����

So just another day in the Wonderful World of SF.

So just another day in the Wonderful World of SF.

Going great so far recently bar the pandemic. A party going places with the Youth on their side, omens are good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I wasn't alive post-WW1 or post-WW2. The question never arose for me. What I do recognise is that up until WW2, normal people had a different view of war and killing. Whether it was the German bombings of London, the Holocaust or Hiroshima, there was a significant cultural change among Western civilisations in the decades that followed. The opposition in the US (one of the most war-mongering countries) to the Vietnam war saw that. The Falklands War saw the UK almost being laughed at for its reaction. The sinking of the Belgrano being heavily criticised internationally.

By the 1970s, it was really only sick pyschos on the fringes of society who would engage in mass terrorism campaigns designed to strike fear into ordinary people. Bombings in Brighton, Manchester, Birmingham and Canary Wharf were the actions of really sick individuals and organisations who had a callous disregard for ordinary people.

A normal society requires Sinn Fein to come clean about its members. It also needs a recognition from its leaders that the terrorist campaign was wrong, misguided and ultimately achieved next to nothing, other than increasing sectarian division and impoverishing the people of Northern Ireland.

Unlike Gerry Adams, I don't believe that protecting child abusers and rapists, knee-capping young men for perceived anti-social behaviour were necessary in the Northern Ireland of the 1980s.

So were you watching unquiet graves tonight?
    Seems like the British establishment had a plan to shoot up a primary school. You kind of left the other half of the equation out of your nonsense post.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1306344909562146816?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

smurgen wrote: »
    So were you watching unquiet graves tonight?
    Seems like the British establishment had a plan to shoot up a primary school. You kind of left the other half of the equation out of your nonsense post.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1306344909562146816?s=19

Did you see our Drew in one of the pics? Up to his eyes in pulling the HET off the case.

Did you see our Drew in one of the pics? Up to his eyes in pulling the HET off the case.

Yes Francie, yes I did.

He stood out like a sore thumb,

IMG-20200916-225820.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yes Francie, yes I did.

He stood out like a sore thumb,

IMG-20200916-225820.jpg

So high up in the RUC. Funny how the RUC didn't convict anyone involved in glenanne gang murders. He also refused to release the report. This is the guy FG put as our commissioner?

https://twitter.com/sean_murray1/status/1306183834497691648?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When Mary Lou put to MM today in Dáil that they had 21 advisors, first words outta his mouth the funeral.

He is turning into Leo and his tactic of asw everything with but SF. That tactic ended well in election

SF official advisers 7 Open and transparent according to website:

Conor Heaney £75,000
    Mark Mullan £75,000
    Ciarán O'Connor £63,736
    Aine McCabe £84,054
    Grainne Maskey £65,966
    Liam Lappin £58,452
    Dara O'Hagan £63,736

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/32052

Sinn Féin Advisers only take the average industrial wage as do Sinn Féin Ministers and MLAs. The balance is donated to the party

Donated to unofficial advisers???? Northern Bank money where did it go considering the IRA are theoretically gone?

--
    --

SF Unofficial advisers 11/12/13 not so open and transparent: (Wages unknown)

Bernard Fox replaced Brian Keenan
    Brian Arthurs and Sean Murray were named as possibly replaced Gerry Adams
    Martin Lynch replaced Martin McGuinness
    Martin Ferris was also reported to have stepped down
    Thomas Murphy, chief of staff
    Brian Arthurs, Commander, Provisional IRA East Tyrone Brigade
    Bernard Fox, a former hunger striker (on 24 September 2006, The Sunday Times reported that Fox had resigned from the Army Council)

Of course Gerry Adams still chief negotiator/adviser as proven following the genera; election.
    Sean Murray, from Belfast, OC of Northern Command
    Martin Lynch, Adjutant-general, an Adams supporter from Belfast[10]
    Brian Gillen, from Belfast
    A Dublin man who was not named for legal reasons

Good Republican's like Slab Murphy and Bobby Storey should not be forgotten integral to 'the struggle'. Great sacrifices etc low profile.

--
    --
    Some neck as usual from SF

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Northern Bank money where did it go considering the IRA are theoretically gone?

ask the brits - they robbed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement