Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You'd imagine Michelle would be more adroit than to wear a black mask but apparently not

Maybe she'll round off the classic retro look with a beret and ray bans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Ok, I will repeat it. Only one person was caught lying here today and that was you Trurh when you claimed that somebody had 'made off' with money that was actually repaid.

I know - paid back the minute they were caught

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Truthvader wrote: »
    I know - paid back the minute they were caught

Now you have it. Nobody made off with anything. Fair play, took all day, but you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

this is like a bunch of schoolkids trying to bully an individual. laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    How do you prove you're not a member of something incidentally:confused:

Does one post a photo of the membership card one doesn't own, or a screenshot of the annual membership fee one hasn't paid:confused:

Think most of us are fairly certain as to who is and who isn’t a member of SFOS.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Think most of us are fairly certain as to who is and who isn’t a member of SFOS.

whats your view on this Blanch152 - are you going to condemn the British army yet?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-evidence-emerges-in-shooting-dead-of-teenager-in-belfast-in-1972-1.4394816

Still trying to work out the line between being a Green or a FGer myself. Very faint betimes.

maccored wrote: »

I'm not sure of the process of getting her name on the list of select victims maccored. Maybe the lads can help us?

I'm not sure of the process of getting her name on the list of select victims maccored. Maybe the lads can help us?

if there was a derogatory mention of SF anywhere they in like a shot. Not the same when it comes to the BA funnily enough

Whats the bets the 'this is a SF thread, not a british army one' retort comes first?

if there was a derogatory mention of SF anywhere they in like a shot. Not the same when it comes to the BA funnily enough

Whats the bets the 'this is a SF thread, not a british army one' retort comes first?

'The British Army is NOT looking to take us over and dominate us'. :)
    >
    '

P.S. Again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I see the DUP are wasting police time by referring the SF pandemic payments to the PSNI
    I mean,at worst from a SF perspective, what went wrong here was it was paid into a probably defunct account previously used as a Westminster office account and went unnoticed
    Understandable but OTT to be asking for resignations over it IMO driven by the need to avoid potshots .
    focusing on delivering opposition without distraction
    Had to be done but OTT

Nobotty wrote: »
    I see the DUP are wasting police time by referring the SF pandemic payments to the PSNI
    I mean,at worst from a SF perspective, what went wrong here was it was paid into a probably defunct account previously used as a Westminster office account and went unnoticed
    Understandable but OTT to be asking for resignations over it IMO driven by the need to avoid potshots .
    Had to be done but OTT

Three defunct accounts?

Not credible, my friend.

Very concerning, and I hope that this investigation gets the same resources and time that all other ones do. No stone should be left unturned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Nobotty wrote: »
    Had to be done but OTT

At first I thought this was a pretty minor administration thing myself to be honest (I think SF are cowboys but there's plenty other more relevant stuff to beat them with!).

A more is coming out on it , it's looking more and more fishy

1. There were three separate payments to three separate accounts, none were repaid or even queried until it was raised in the media. It seems very unusual that if the default was to repay the money that none of them would have noticed or queried it. This gives rise to speculation SF thought they were entitled to it.

2. In the case of McCallion, the money was paid to her and her husband's joint personal account. I struggle to believe neither of them noticed. If neither heeded the amount involved warranted investigation, it begs the question of how much money is going through their personal account and is it fitting for an elected official? Furthermore, if the property involved was a Sinn Féin registered property why was the council tax paid from a personal account (other parties have candidates take leases in their own names and pay rent themselves to the landlord in question - sometimes a chunk of that rent will be reimbursed by the party)

3. Resigning a seat in the houses of the Oireachtas is a massive deal. If this was an administrative issue, the punishment far outweighs the issue. Two questions here:

Was EMcC told to resign because she herself stole the money? If so, will SF completely kick her out?

Was she told to resign to prevent questions in the Seanad? Given the party are already being investigated by SIPO are they trying to prevent further scrutiny of their financial affairs?

At first I thought this was a pretty minor administration thing myself to be honest (I think SF are cowboys but there's plenty other more relevant stuff to beat them with!).

1. There were three separate payments to three separate accounts, none were repaid or even queried until it was raised in the media. It seems very unusual that if the default was to repay the money that none of them would have noticed or queried it. This gives rise to speculation SF thought they were entitled to it.

2. In the case of McCallion, the money was paid to her and her husband's joint personal account. I struggle to believe neither of them noticed. If neither heeded the amount involved warranted investigation, it begs the question of how much money is going through their personal account and is it fitting for an elected official? Furthermore, if the property involved was a Sinn Féin registered property why was the council tax paid from a personal account (other parties have candidates take leases in their own names and pay rent themselves to the landlord in question - sometimes a chunk of that rent will be reimbursed by the party)

3. Resigning a seat in the houses of the Oireachtas is a massive deal. If this was an administrative issue, the punishment far outweighs the issue. Two questions here:

Was EMcC told to resign because she herself stole the money? If so, will SF completely kick her out?

Was she told to resign to prevent questions in the Seanad? Given the party are already being investigated by SIPO are they trying to prevent further scrutiny of their financial affairs?

Pretty good summary of the outstanding questions.

Don’t expect answers from the lads though.

How would a political party prevent questions being asked in the Seanad or the Dáil?

Pretty good summary of the outstanding questions.

Don’t expect answers from the lads though.

It's all a bit odd, there have been loads of misplaced and missed COVID payments so I guess I wouldn't be complaining about them getting the cash in the first place.

I just wonder has Mary Lou thrown some people under the bus here who may have been instructed from higher up that they were entitled to hang onto a payment and now is blaming it on individuals to save face for the party?

How would a political party prevent questions being asked in the Seanad or the Dáil?

It's the senators private bank account if she resigns she can't face questions about her personal conduct

Edit to add - this happened in a different jurisdiction so the party couldn't really face an Oireachtas inquiry, however a member of the house could face an enquiry for improper behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Now you have it. Nobody made off with anything. Fair play, took all day, but you got there.

So if they hadn't have been caught can we assume they would have kept it?

It's all a bit odd, there have been loads of misplaced and missed COVID payments so I guess I wouldn't be complaining about them getting the cash in the first place.

I just wonder has Mary Lou thrown some people under the bus here who may have been instructed from higher up that they were entitled to hang onto a payment and now is blaming it on individuals to save face for the party?

Wouldn’t be surprised if the word had come from Belfast to cut them loose.

Would be looking to a new life in Spain if I was that Senator.

• Advertisement

So if they hadn't have been caught can we assume they would have kept it?

Yes, assumption seems to be the place where most are at, when it comes to the Shinners, They never seem to make assumptions when FGers or FFers are caught though.

'Gimme loads of sterling' and I'll sort your planning issues.

Very concerning, and I hope that this investigation gets the same resources and time that all other ones do. No stone should be left unturned.

wheres the condemnation of the British army for the act of shooting someone, then hiding all the evidence and hoping to get away with it?

Yes, assumption seems to be the place where most are at, when it comes to the Shinners, They never seem to make assumptions when FGers or FFers are caught though.

'Gimme loads of sterling' and I'll sort your planning issues.

Even you have to admit it's a bit strange that none of the three payments made to different Sinn Féin related accounts were queried until such time as the BBC outed them?

Surely one person on the three accounts would have noticed - I could understand if it was one person but all three together seems off

It's the senators private bank account if she resigns she can't face questions about her personal conduct

Edit to add - this happened in a different jurisdiction so the party couldn't really face an Oireachtas inquiry, however a member of the house could face an enquiry for improper behaviour.

Questions can still be asked of the party...stop with the disingenuous nonsense.
    You are flumoxed by the quick and no nonsense reaction here.

As said, problem uncovered, problem dealt with and you guys are faffing about looking silly now. Being reminded of all the faffing, excusing and ignoring of financial irregularities of the power swap. They even sent Regina Doherty out to take the high moral ground today. :):)

Questions can still be asked of the party...stop with the disingenuous nonsense.
    You are flumoxed by the quick and no nonsense reaction here.

As said, problem uncovered, problem dealt with and you guys are faffing about looking silly now. Being reminded of all the faffing, excusing and ignoring of financial irregularities of the power swap. They even sent Regina Doherty out to take the high moral ground today. :):)

There's a big difference between a question in the Dáil and Oireachtas enquiry

Wouldn’t be surprised if the word had come from Belfast to cut them loose.

Would be looking to a new life in Spain if I was that Senator.

whats the issue here anyway?

MLMCD said she had accepted the resignation of the west Tyrone official who had failed to return the money "despite being requested to do so" by MLA for the area, Maolíosa McHugh.

Whatever was going on with the official who never sent the money back, SF as a party acted responsibly did they not in getting rid of the official and paying back the money?

Even you have to admit it's a bit strange that none of the three payments made to different Sinn Féin related accounts were queried until such time as the BBC outed them?

Surely one person on the three accounts would have noticed - I could understand if it was one person but all three together seems off

It was an unforgiveable ****-up. It should not have happened. If FG or FF had done it, I would have said somebody needs to resign.
    That happened here.

whats the issue here anyway?

MLMCD said she had accepted the resignation of the west Tyrone official who had failed to return the money "despite being requested to do so" by MLA for the area, Maolíosa McHugh.

Whatever was going on with the official who never sent the money back, SF as a party acted responsibly did they not in getting rid of the official and paying back the money?

That doesn't explain how three of them didn't send it back simultaneously. Was there a case where a payment was made to Sinn Féin and then repaid before the BBC questions? This would make it significantly more believable as an administrative issue

• Advertisement

That doesn't explain how three of them didn't send it back simultaneously. Was there a case where a payment was made to Sinn Féin and then repaid before the BBC questions? This would make it significantly more believable as an administrative issue

380 approx haven't sent back the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement