Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

380 approx haven't sent back the money.

380 people working for Sinn Féin?!?

It was an unforgiveable ****-up. It should not have happened. If FG or FF had done it, I would have said somebody needs to resign.
    That happened here.

If it's a couple of random cases it's for individuals, if every case on the party does it it's a question for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

380 people working for Sinn Féin?!?

Are you sure you are familiar with the story? The same money was paid to another 380 approx accounts that hasn't been repaid.

Are you sure you are familiar with the story? The same money was paid to another 380 approx accounts that hasn't been repaid.

380 accounts related to political parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

That doesn't explain how three of them didn't send it back simultaneously. Was there a case where a payment was made to Sinn Féin and then repaid before the BBC questions? This would make it significantly more believable as an administrative issue

no idea - im sure we'll hear what the story was. hardly makes sense for SF to try and swipe 30 grand. they'd be better just joining in with FF anf FG and look for bigger payrises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

maccored wrote: »
    no idea - im sure we'll hear what the story was. hardly makes sense for SF to try and swipe 30 grand. they'd be better just joining in with FF anf FG and look for bigger payrises

True dat.

"Fine Gael is by far the richest political party with all 50 TDs having a combined wealth of €80m".

Whiff of Ansbacher off of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-half-of-irelands-tds-are-millionaires-and-heres-how-much-theyre-worth-36901002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

smurgen wrote: »
    True dat.

"Fine Gael is by far the richest political party with all 50 TDs having a combined wealth of €80m".

Whiff of Ansbacher off of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-half-of-irelands-tds-are-millionaires-and-heres-how-much-theyre-worth-36901002.html

FG is under your bed, night:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

blanch152 wrote: »
    Three defunct accounts?

Not credible, my friend.

It is you know,how many statements would there be on an account that looks after rates? How often would you be looking at it to check whats in it?
    How often would it occur to you to check if something unexpected went in to it?
    Not often

380 accounts related to political parties?

Why would that be important? It's taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nobotty wrote: »
    It is you know,how many statements would there be on an account that looks after rates? How often would you be looking at it to check whats in it?
    How often would it occur to you to check if something unexpected went in to it?
    Not often

I'm sure there was a cover letter sent as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

At least 50 properties and 200 employees.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Let's not forget that Elisha McLaughlin's husband (with whom she is a co-signatory to the account which this was paid into) has a history of beating up pensioners. She is unfit for office - as is Mary Who who referred to this city and county of Derry prefixed by the name of a foreign city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Why have SF not named the other officials who have resigned, why is there always secrecy in SF?
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/covid-grants-calls-for-sinn-fein-to-shed-light-on-party-officials-who-resigned-39688611.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

At least 50 properties and 200 employees.....

In their defence, it may have been an honest mistake. They have so much money moving its hard to keep track of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why have SF not named the other officials who have resigned, why is there always secrecy in SF?
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/covid-grants-calls-for-sinn-fein-to-shed-light-on-party-officials-who-resigned-39688611.html

Long tradtion of respecting privacy in Sinn Féin

Signed
    P O'Neill

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1031/1175141-sinn-fein/

A SF MLA resigned today. More high jinks involving grant money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Far bigger problems for your own party John. Will Leo resign?

Same issue not 'more' Johnny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

FFS. Where is Francie?

THEY GAVE THE MONEY BACK WHEN THEY WERE CAUGHT.

Would you drop down to Slab and get him to calm down.

Jeeeze

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Far bigger problems for your own party John. Will Leo resign?

Not really, dude.

• Advertisement

I really hope Leo getting his comeuppance (hopefully!) doesn't derail this thread. Sinn Fein have questions to answer here still I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I really hope Leo getting his comeuppance (hopefully!) doesn't derail this thread. Sinn Fein have questions to answer here still I think

Go on outline them? Remember we have much bigger fatter fish to fry in the leo story.

smurgen wrote: »
    Go on outline them? Remember we have much bigger fatter fish to fry in the leo story.

1. There were three separate payments to three separate accounts, none were repaid or even queried until it was raised in the media. It seems very unusual that if the default was to repay the money that none of them would have noticed or queried it. This gives rise to speculation SF thought they were entitled to it.

2. In the case of McCallion, the money was paid to her and her husband's joint personal account. I struggle to believe neither of them noticed. If neither heeded the amount involved warranted investigation, it begs the question of how much money is going through their personal account and is it fitting for an elected official? Furthermore, if the property involved was a Sinn Féin registered property why was the council tax paid from a personal account (other parties have candidates take leases in their own names and pay rent themselves to the landlord in question - sometimes a chunk of that rent will be reimbursed by the party)

3. Resigning a seat in the houses of the Oireachtas is a massive deal. If this was an administrative issue, the punishment far outweighs the issue. Two questions here:

Was EMcC told to resign because she herself stole the money? If so, will SF completely kick her out?

Was she told to resign to prevent questions in the Seanad? Given the party are already being investigated by SIPO are they trying to prevent further scrutiny of their financial affairs?

1. There were three separate payments to three separate accounts, none were repaid or even queried until it was raised in the media. It seems very unusual that if the default was to repay the money that none of them would have noticed or queried it. This gives rise to speculation SF thought they were entitled to it.

2. In the case of McCallion, the money was paid to her and her husband's joint personal account. I struggle to believe neither of them noticed. If neither heeded the amount involved warranted investigation, it begs the question of how much money is going through their personal account and is it fitting for an elected official? Furthermore, if the property involved was a Sinn Féin registered property why was the council tax paid from a personal account (other parties have candidates take leases in their own names and pay rent themselves to the landlord in question - sometimes a chunk of that rent will be reimbursed by the party)

3. Resigning a seat in the houses of the Oireachtas is a massive deal. If this was an administrative issue, the punishment far outweighs the issue. Two questions here:

Was EMcC told to resign because she herself stole the money? If so, will SF completely kick her out?

Was she told to resign to prevent questions in the Seanad? Given the party are already being investigated by SIPO are they trying to prevent further scrutiny of their financial affairs?

Link to claim that 'SIPO are already investigating Sinn Fein'?

SIPO wrote to SF last year seeking clarification and got it, and as far as I am aware have no issues. From their annual report:
    “There is nothing illegal about a party that is, for organisational purposes, a single entity, having statutory obligations in more than one jurisdiction.

Link to claim that 'SIPO are already investigating Sinn Fein'?

SIPO wrote to SF last year seeking clarification and got it, and as far as I am aware have no issues. From their annual report:

Just a question on this so, is SF Republic allowed to get any of that money at all or does that mean that SF NI is not allowed to donate any of it to SF Republic?
    Basically of SF Republic used any of that money wouldn't that then be illegal?

Just a question on this so, is SF Republic allowed to get any of that money at all or does that mean that SF NI is not allowed to donate any of it to SF Republic?
    Basically of SF Republic used any of that money wouldn't that then be illegal?

No idea.

Ask SIPO maybe?

No idea.

Ask SIPO maybe?

Maybe!

If they did or do I'm sure it would raise questions.
    Like if FG and FF for instance registered in NI surely they could accept donations there and funnel them south too.
    Maybe that should be looked at?

Maybe!

If they did or do I'm sure it would raise questions.
    Like if FG and FF for instance registered in NI surely they could accept donations there and funnel them south too.
    Maybe that should be looked at?

Why would there be an issue?

We accept that the people of the north are Irish, why can't Irish people donate to a political party?

You could feasibly have a situation where we decide by referendum that those Irish people can vote in Irish presidential elections but cannot donate to a political party of their choice. Seems weird and exclusionary to me.

Why would there be an issue?

We accept that the people of the north are Irish, why can't Irish people donate to a political party?

You could feasibly have a situation where we decide by referendum that those Irish people can vote in Irish presidential elections but cannot donate to a political party of their choice. Seems weird and exclusionary to me.

I'm OK with that, I'm just wondering on the legality then of donations, like SF got being used by the political party here afterwards is all.
    I mean if its, that simple to get around the, rules here wouldn't you think all party's would be at it?

• Advertisement

I'm OK with that, I'm just wondering on the legality then of donations, like SF got being used by the political party here afterwards is all.
    I mean if its, that simple to get around the, rules here wouldn't you think all party's would be at it?

Don't know and really doesn't greatly concern me. Partition has made life complicated enough without adding another layer to it and for what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement