Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Newton Emerson singing the praises of Sinn Fein's success with housing in Northern Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/success-on-housing-in-north-could-be-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-route-to-government-in-south-1.4400175

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

jm08 wrote: »
    Newton Emerson singing the praises of Sinn Fein's success with housing in Northern Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/success-on-housing-in-north-could-be-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-route-to-government-in-south-1.4400175

Not sure what the success you're referring to is, this is a proposal by SF not a policy already implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting point in it:

"This will allow it to borrow outside the public sector and resume building houses, which it has not done since the mid-1990s."

This was exactly the plan for Irish Water that Sinn Fein resolutely opposed.

Later on, "Referring to proposed regulation, she began: “I recognise that landlords run a business.”"

Has she told Eoin O'Broin this?

Reading the rest in full, the lack of analysis from Emerson is clear - many of the measures being introduced are already in place down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

blanch152 wrote: »
    Interesting point in it:

"This will allow it to borrow outside the public sector and resume building houses, which it has not done since the mid-1990s."

Later on, "Referring to proposed regulation, she began: “I recognise that landlords run a business.”"

Reading the rest in full, the lack of analysis from Emerson is clear - many of the measures being introduced are already in place down here.

You obviously have no idea how social housing works in the north - they are run by non-profit housing associations:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/affordable-housing-through-housing-associations-0

Irish Water was a scam to line the pockets of the FFG sugar daddy, big difference but nice try :rolleyes:

Interesting point in it:

The reform programme she set out was wide ranging and well received across the political spectrum. Its headline aim is to convert the Northern Ireland Housing Executive, the region’s overarching social landlord, into a mutual or co-operative society. This will allow it to borrow outside the public sector and resume building houses, which it has not done since the mid-1990s.
    Housing associations, which provided most new social housing over the past quarter century, will be able to continue borrowing and building as well.

Nothing remotely like Irish Water. In fact they prevented the DUP doing exactly that.

''....Twenty years later, the DUP at Stormont marked it for de facto privatisation ...

It looks to me as if the NI plan is O Broin handywork.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    Not sure what the success you're referring to is, this is a proposal by SF not a policy already implemented

Its a plan from Sinn Fein that seems to be get cross party support which is significant in NI.

Nothing remotely like Irish Water. In fact they prevented the DUP doing exactly that.

It looks to me as if the NI plan is O Broin handywork.

Wrong, it is exactly the same plan as Irish Water, take the borrowing off-books.

Privatisation was never in the mix with Irish Water.

Wrong, it is exactly the same plan as Irish Water, take the borrowing off-books.

Privatisation was never in the mix with Irish Water.

If that is the case why were the Greens looking for a referendum banning the privatisation of Irish Water?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/greens-call-for-referendum-to-block-irish-water-privatisation-1.1978547

edit: and by the way, Sinn Fein wanted to abolish Irish Water and bring water back into the control of the State.

If that is the case why were the Greens looking for a referendum banning the privatisation of Irish Water?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/greens-call-for-referendum-to-block-irish-water-privatisation-1.1978547

edit: and by the way, Sinn Fein wanted to abolish Irish Water and bring water back into the control of the State.

The referendum was pointless and counter-productive, explained why many times.

Is there a commitment for a referendum in the current Programme for Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Good article in the irish times, its as i speculated. Wouldnt surprise me if sf are doing this in the north, looking at the far bigger picture in the south ..

The way i feel about it is, if it takes a potential ec
    nomic meltdown , its a small price to pay if the housing situation actually gets sorted here. Rather than a feeding frenzy for the haves and free housing for wasters, paid by the working have nots...

Its young and youngish mostly effected by housing crisis, they have taken the brunt of the job losses and will be paying this debt as well and the previous bust debt back their entire lives.... i honestly see sf winningcomfortably the most seats at the next election, due to what a diagrace ffg are..

Its like the pre election polls in the states, people might not want to admit voting for trump, its same here with sf... ffg are playing a dangerous game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Exactly...it's not my job...I do it because it amuses me, until I get bored.

So you admit you just **** post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The referendum was pointless and counter-productive, explained why many times.

Is there a commitment for a referendum in the current Programme for Government?

Because the Greens capitulated for the comfy seats AGAIN?

Because the Greens capitulated for the comfy seats AGAIN?

No, because a referendum was pointless, as I pointed out to you many many times.

There is no sign of it, and there won't be.

Just a nonsense.

No, because a referendum was pointless, as I pointed out to you many many times.

There is no sign of it, and there won't be.

Just a nonsense.

As the Greens have capitulated on so much of their erstwhile beliefs about accountability etc, I will continue to believe that they capitulated because it was a sticking point with the power swap.

As the Greens have capitulated on so much of their erstwhile beliefs about accountability etc, I will continue to believe that they capitulated because it was a sticking point with the power swap.

Yes, and Leo was resigning last weekend. Your analysis as always is spot on.

As we are on the Sinn Fein thread, let's get back on topic.

Did you notice the parallels between Trump claiming he has won the election and the Sinn Fein attempt on election night here to claim victory? The #notmytaoiseach movement on Twitter which also rejected democracy is so similar.

The ideological parallels between Trumpism and Sinn Fein get stronger.

Did you notice the parallels between Trump claiming he has won the election and the Sinn Fein attempt on election night here to claim victory? The #notmytaoiseach movement on Twitter which also rejected democracy is so similar.

Two completely different electoral systems and methods of electing the winner so there's no parallels at all.

:D:D:D:D:D

I certainly notice that the boogeymen and women under your bed are going forth and multiplying.

It will be interesting to see if even Trump will try to patch together a coalition of people he promised he would never get together with to seize power. Heck even John Delaney might get a job again.

Quiet day in the 'look at the Shinners' Department blanch?
    :D:D:D

P.S. Again, to keep you honest :) can you link to where I said 'Leo would be resigning last weekend'? I think I asked it as a question...'Would he last the weekend?'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Two completely different electoral systems and methods of electing the winner so there's no parallels at all.

There are parallels with SF people on social media calling out the fact that because SF got more votes, they somehow should be front and centre in forming a government.

That is not how PR-STV works but I gather the intricate details of PR-STV would be lost on the average SF voter.

markodaly wrote: »
    There are parallels with SF people on social media calling out the fact that because SF got more votes, they somehow should be front and centre in forming a government.

That is not how PR-STV works but I gather the intricate details of PR-STV would be lost on the average SF voter.

They did get more votes and should've been part of the discussions but that'll have to wait until next time I suppose as they will increase their vote again.

Was it 5 counts to get Leo over the line the last time in Dublin West whilst SF's Paul Donnelly topped the poll. Well done Leo, outstanding stuff......

markodaly wrote: »

Trump didn't get more votes Mark...stay alert here, did you just let slip there that you believe Trump??? :D:D:D

• Advertisement

:D:D:D:D:D

I certainly notice that the boogeymen and women under your bed are going forth and multiplying.

It will be interesting to see if even Trump will try to patch together a coalition of people he promised he would never get together with to seize power. Heck even John Delaney might get a job again.

Quiet day in the 'look at the Shinners' Department blanch?
    :D:D:D

P.S. Again, to keep you honest :) can you link to where I said 'Leo would be resigning last weekend'? I think I asked it as a question...'Would he last the weekend?'

Linked in the relevant thread your posts about Leo resigning, not going off-topic in here, despite your best efforts to deflect.

I am really hitting a nerve when I compare the Sinn Fein Twitterati on election night here with Trump supporters in the US, both refusing to accept the outcome and claiming they had won the election.

Wasn't it Mary-Lou who started the #notmytaoiseach about Leo with her public comments? How long before Trumpians start #notmypresident about Biden?

You can't get away from the comparisons.

They did get more votes and should've been part of the discussions but that'll have to wait until next time I suppose as they will increase their vote again.

Was it 5 counts to get Leo over the line the last time in Dublin West whilst SF's Paul Donnelly topped the poll. Well done Leo, outstanding stuff......

You see, there you go again, wilfully misrepresenting the results to claim a Sinn Fein victory.

Sinn Fein are not in government = Sinn Fein lost the election. Which bit of that is so hard to understand. Trump claims the Democrats robbed him by stealing his votes, Sinn Fein claim FF and FG robbed them by not talking to them.

Linked in the relevant thread your posts about Leo resigning, not going off-topic in here, despite your best efforts to deflect.

I am really hitting a nerve when I compare the Sinn Fein Twitterati on election night here with Trump supporters in the US, both refusing to accept the outcome and claiming they had won the election.

Wasn't it Mary-Lou who started the #notmytaoiseach about Leo with her public comments? How long before Trumpians start #notmypresident about Biden?

You can't get away from the comparisons.

Do you think Trump 'got more votes' blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Trump didn't get more votes Mark...stay alert here, did you just let slip there that you believe Trump??? :D:D:D

Fake news. Fake news - ask anyone.

You see, there you go again, wilfully misrepresenting the results to claim a Sinn Fein victory.

Sinn Fein are not in government = Sinn Fein lost the election. Which bit of that is so hard to understand. Trump claims the Democrats robbed him by stealing his votes, Sinn Fein claim FF and FG robbed them by not talking to them.

Not representing anything or claiming any victory - that will come at the next election when SF increase their vote whilst wiping out the spineless Greens and picking up votes from people who see FFG for what they are, two cheeks of the same arse.

This current ****show of a government will collapse by next summer and that will be due to the fact that MM is losing grip within his own part of FFG.

Do you think Trump 'got more votes' blanch?

Trump got more votes than 2016, but he didn't win the election, but claimed he did.

Sinn Fein got more votes than 2016, but didn't win the election, but claimed they did.

Not representing anything or claiming any victory - that will come at the next election when SF increase their vote whilst wiping out the spineless Greens and picking up votes from people who see FFG for what they are, two cheeks of the same arse.

This current ****show of a government will collapse by next summer and that will be due to the fact that MM is losing grip within his own part of FFG.

I suppose Micheal Martin is #notyourtaoiseach

Trump got more votes than 2016, but he didn't win the election, but claimed he did.

Sinn Fein got more votes than 2016, but didn't win the election, but claimed they did.

They got more votes than anybody else and were perfectly entitled to call for a place in government.

Trump is NOT entitled to a place because he didn't get enough votes. Please try to accept that Trump didn't get enough votes to form a new administration Blanch and Mark. He is telling lies.

I suppose Micheal Martin is #notyourtaoiseach

Mary Lou abú......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

They got more votes than anybody else and were perfectly entitled to call for a place in government.

Trump is NOT entitled to a place because he didn't get enough votes. Please try to accept that Trump didn't get enough votes to form a new administration Blanch and Mark. He is telling lies.

But not entitled to be in government. by the same token, in '95 should FF being in government instead of the Rainbow Coalition?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement