Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

joemurt wrote: »
    Unfortunately the IRA were not funded by tax revenue like the other side of the conflict.

They resorted to criminality to fund their defense when the state disregarded the Irish constitution and abandoned them to the terrorists. Would have kept the crime figures down if the government just did the same as Britain. Signed the cheque.

You think the Irish government should have funded the IRA:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,993 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

imme wrote: »

Didn't they try to at one stage?

Try?

Try?

An attempt was made to use Exchequer funds to arm the IRA. Of course all and sundry washed their hands of it and the truth might never be known. Some are currently looking to have their names cleared in relation to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arms_Crisis

An attempt was made to use Exchequer funds to arm the IRA. Of course all and sundry washed their hands of it and the truth might never be known. Some are currently looking to have their names cleared in relation to it.

Yes of course, that would have ended every problem that existed.

I wasn't involved in the scheme myself.

Does it come under the title contingency planning or was it a fully fledged plan to deepen the troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

your either confused , badly educated or intentionally trying to mislead

are you saying the arms crisis was in relation to the provisional IRA ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

mynamejeff wrote: »
    your either confused , badly educated or intentionally trying to mislead

are you saying the arms crisis was in relation to the provisional IRA ?

I think it is a combination of all 3

Yes of course, that would have ended every problem that existed.

I wasn't involved in the scheme myself.

Does it come under the title contingency planning or was it a fully fledged plan to deepen the troubles.

I am off the view that the Irish government was constitutionally mandated to protect Irish people at that time, having basically ignored the plight of Catholics and nationalists since partition.

That view leads me to believe that the Irish government created the vacuum into which the IRA was always going to step.

Not a popular view among those who preferred the doff the hat and carry on ignoring approach, but there you have our tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

One of the posters on here was advocating that the Irish army should have invaded NI :D:D They said it would have been fine and the UK would have rolled over as long as Ireland said they were "peacekeepers".

I am off the view that the Irish government was constitutionally mandated to protect Irish people at that time, having basically ignored the plight of Catholics and nationalists since partition.

That view leads me to believe that the Irish government created the vacuum into which the IRA was always going to step.

Not a popular view among those who preferred the doff the hat and carry on ignoring approach, but there you have our tragedy.

The constitution also said and still says that women should be chained to the kitchen sink.

Does that make it so.

What should Free State/ROI have done since the establishment of NI.?
    Fought NI?
    That seems to be what you're suggesting.
    That would have been a weird continuation of the war of independence.

• Advertisement

The constitution also said and still says that women should be chained to the kitchen sink.

Does that make it so.

Fought NI?

You have my view...I don't think that the Irish government should have stood idly by.

Some of the government thought the way to do it was to arm the IRA.

I.E. They all knew the IRA would come into the picture, some of them even wanted that.
    By doing nothing they allowed it to happen. Had they taken the lead in protecting those calling for protection the IRA would have stayed the fringe group they were at that time.

You have my view...I don't think that the Irish government should have stood idly by.

Some of the government thought the way to do it was to arm the IRA.

I.E. They all knew the IRA would come into the picture, some of them even wanted that.
    By doing nothing they allowed it to happen. Had they taken the lead in protecting those calling for protection the IRA would have stayed the fringe group they were at that time.

That sounds like an international conflict to me.

What about the 1920's, the 1930's etc should Free State/ROI have stood idly by as you say.

Your reading of the Arms Crisis /Arms Trial is your own particular reading of it.

Physical conflict seems to be the only solution here with many contributors.

That sounds like an international conflict to me.

What about the 1920's, the 1930's etc should Free State/ROI have stood idly by as you say.

Your reading of the Arms Crisis /Arms Trial is your own particular reading of it.

Physical conflict seems to be the only solution here with many contributors.

Physical contact should be avoided at all costs. But it can't always be and fear of it can not excuse doing nothing.

Not interested getting into this further tbh. Been there done that before on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,961 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Does that make it so.

Fought NI?

It could be in this thread or perhaps the Northern Ireland one where an elaborate and fantastical case is made for the invasion of the UK by the Irish Army in 1969, and that, wait for it, the UN (unvetoed by the UK!) would step in and provide protection. Oh, and the Russians and Chinese wouldn't exploit it and that a nuclear power in the middle of the cold war would allow part of their country to be taken over.

Best not to get into the discussion.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It could be in this thread or perhaps the Northern Ireland one where an elaborate and fantastical case is made for the invasion of the UK by the Irish Army in 1969, and that, wait for it, the UN (unvetoed by the UK!) would step in and provide protection. Oh, and the Russians and Chinese wouldn't exploit it and that a nuclear power in the middle of the cold war would allow part of their country to be taken over.

Best not to get into the discussion.

Misrepresentation over drive there blanch.

Poor fella, getting more and more desperate. :)

Physical contact should be avoided at all costs. But it can't always be and fear of it can not excuse doing nothing.

Not interested getting into this further tbh. Been there done that before on here.

im not surprised you don't want to get in to this , you've been caught out again sure

this is a clear lie

there was a meeting between government members and members of the Offical ira

the provo scum that sf support are unconnected and barely existed if at all at the time

Well that is a lot of rubbish which is incorrect on so many levels. Do people actually believe this rubbish?

this is a clear lie

there was a meeting between government members and members of the Offical ira

the provo scum that sf support are unconnected and barely existed if at all at the time

Oh please, I never supported the IRA but the 'Good 'RA' and the 'Bad 'RA' only works for viewers of a Netflix cheapo film on the subject.

Well that is a lot of rubbish which is incorrect on so many levels. Do people actually believe this rubbish?

I'll tell you what was incorrect:

1. Recognising that people needed protection.

2. Assessing ways of giving that protection.

3. Publicly announcing that we wouldn't stand idly by.

4. Doing nothing at all for a finish.

5. Whinging when somebody did step in to do the job you recognised needed doing.

• Advertisement

Oh please, I never supported the IRA but the 'Good 'RA' and the 'Bad 'RA' only works for viewers of a Netflix cheapo film on the subject.

A quick review of your posts and you ain't fooling anyone. You glorify what the PIRA got up to.

A quick review of your posts and you ain't fooling anyone. You glorify what the PIRA got up to.

Never once have I 'glorified' an act of violence SK. Yet another lie from the you guys.

your posting history aside

this new assertation that the use of the name IRA refers to the same organisation since its inception displays frankly a childish level of misunderstanding

besides its been discussed in this thread and many others of which you were apart ,

I expected more from you tbh

your posting history aside

this new assertation that the use of the name IRA refers to the same organisation since its inception displays frankly a childish level of misunderstanding

besides its been discussed in this thread and many others of which you were apart ,

I expected more from you tbh

What are you on about Jeff?

Members of the Irish government made attempts to arm the IRA with taxpayers money...true or false?

It's true. TO save you some time.

That is what I said. I never referred to different versions of the IRA.

Members of the Irish government made attempts to arm the IRA with taxpayers money...true or false?

It's true. TO save you some time.

That is what I said. I never referred to different versions of the IRA.

im sure everyone else can figure it out

which ira do you want me to answer about ?

or are you saying there is only one ?

I'll tell you what was incorrect:

1. Recognising that people needed protection.

2. Assessing ways of giving that protection.

3. Publicly announcing that we wouldn't stand idly by.

4. Doing nothing at all for a finish.

5. Whinging when somebody did step in to do the job you recognised needed doing.

You've said a couple of times that the IRA was a surrogate or is it some kind of reverse surrogate of ROI in what developed into the troubles.

Why are you doing this psychological deconstruction /reconstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,961 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It seems so.

im sure everyone else can figure it out

which ira do you want me to answer about ?

or are you saying there is only one ?

The IRA the Irish government tried to arm.

That would be the IRA that split in two over abstentionism. I think the one that emerged still holding abstentionism as a core principle would be the one that could rightly claim to be the legitimate titleholder, regardless of what you think of them.

The IRA the Irish government tried to arm.

That would be the IRA that split in two over abstentionism. I think the one that emerged still holding abstentionism as a core principle would be the one that could rightly claim to be the legitimate titleholder, regardless of what you think of them.

so not the provos then ,

not the Gerry Adams MLM Story group , and nothing to do with them ,

so your claim is again debunked

your diversion attempt has bought you two pages of leeway though lol

• Advertisement

so not the provos then ,

not the Gerry Adams MLM Story group , and nothing to do with them ,

so your claim is again debunked

your diversion attempt has bought you two pages of leeway though lol

I said members of Irish government using taxpayers money tried to arm the IRA.

Is that claim TRUE or FALSE?

P.S. :) Leeway from what? Listening to your lies about a man's funeral?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement