Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

jh79 wrote: »
    Being part of the EU doesn't mean they will fund a UI. Greece thought they had a blank cheque too look how that turned out.

SF could of modelled a few scenarios with different levels of EU funding but didn't.

Either SF are only paying lip service to a UI or are afraid of predicting the true cost of unification.
    How is the case for rectifying the Greek financial crisis in any way comparable to the reunification of a country?
    Secondly,funding would have to be negotiated which is why no party would put a public figure on it
    That would be madness as its an ever changing number anyway and they might get more

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Being part of the EU doesn't mean they will fund a UI. Greece thought they had a blank cheque too look how that turned out.

SF could of modelled a few scenarios with different levels of EU funding but didn't.

Either SF are only paying lip service to a UI or are afraid of predicting the true cost of unification.

I'd imagine what SF are doing is countering the narrative that 100 years of partition is something to celebrate.

Being a part of the EU doesn't mean that they will fund it, but a successful UI is in the EU's interests and in the interests of the UK. Partition has severely hampered them doing what they want to do in case you hadn't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

The best that can be said of polls on the subject, is this:

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/02/19/the-mystery-of-the-shy-nationalists-online-and-face-to-face-polling-on-irish-unity-continues-to-give-different-results/

As I said before, if the anti UI people are so confident, why the fear of a poll.

Nobody fears a poll. But you do realise it costs millions for a poll. Millions the tax payer has to fund. Most people, including myself, pay taxes not to fund stupid polls just because a half arsed document by a questionable party.

Unless someone can put out a document with some real numbers and a real explanation on how it will be paid then nobody should be asking for a border poll and waste more money. First question how many people will have to be made redundant in public service and who is paying the redundancy and the social welfare for those people as no jobs available till they are reskilled?

If SF are so confident of the vote then why wouldnt they do it? all bluster with nothing behind it as usual. They know it will cost the tax payer in the Republic billions and end up with people struggling more and more. But sure who cares about people trying to put food on the table Francie, they are just partitionist and beligerent unionist arn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Nobotty wrote: »
    How is the case for rectifying the Greek financial crisis in any way comparable to the reunification of a country?
    Secondly,funding would have to be negotiated which is why no party would put a public figure on it
    That would be madness as its an ever changing number anyway and they might get more

Syriza thought the EU would foot the bill too but that didn't work. Similar style of party to SF.

Yes funding would have to be negotiated but that doesn't prevent SF from getting Economists to model a few different scenarios based on levels of EU funding to predict a total cost and likely impacts North and South.

Nobody fears a poll. But you do realise it costs millions for a poll. Millions the tax payer has to fund. Most people, including myself, pay taxes not to fund stupid polls just because a half arsed document by a questionable party.

Unless someone can put out a document with some real numbers and a real explanation on how it will be paid then nobody should be asking for a border poll and waste more money. First question how many people will have to be made redundant in public service and who is paying the redundancy and the social welfare for those people as no jobs available till they are reskilled?

If SF are so confident of the vote then why wouldnt they do it? all bluster with nothing behind it as usual. They know it will cost the tax payer in the Republic billions and end up with people struggling more and more. But sure who cares about people trying to put food on the table Francie, they are just partitionist and beligerent unionist arn't they?

Funny a supporter of the present governments in Ireland and Britain getting upset because somebody might waste a few million. Hilarious, in fact.

Cue the 'I do not support the status quo' posts.

• Advertisement

Syriza thought the EU would foot the bill too but that didn't work. Similar style of party to SF.

Yes funding would have to be negotiated but that doesn't prevent SF from getting Economists to model a few different scenarios based on levels of EU funding to predict a total cost and likely impacts North and South.

Who is talking about 'footing the bill'?

What I can see is a proposal that the UK take responsibility for things that are their responsibility and that the EU 'supports' a UI. Which is what the EU is designed to do. And which is in their interests to do.

Who is talking about 'footing the bill'?

What I can see is a proposal that the UK take responsibility for things that are their responsibility and that the EU 'supports' a UI. Which is what the EU is designed to do. And which is in their interests to do.

But what the UK is responsible for is subjective. I agree that they should pay for pension already contributed to but the same logic in my opinion means Ireland should pay towards the National Debt accrued by the people of NI.

I'm not doubting that the EU will support a UI but the level of support will determine the true cost of unification for the Republic.

But what the UK is responsible for is subjective. I agree that they should pay for pension already contributed to but the same logic in my opinion means Ireland should pay towards the National Debt accrued by the people of NI.

I'm not doubting that the EU will support a UI but the level of support will determine the true cost of unification for the Republic.

What the UK is responsible for is negotiable and will be negotiated.

So we are in agreement, the EU will support a UI and the UK will have responsibilities to address as will the entire united island.

Now if you have any definitive info on how much the above will contribute/support then throw it into the mix there and let us consider it.

Funny a supporter of the present governments in Ireland and Britain getting upset because somebody might waste a few million. Hilarious, in fact.

Cue the 'I do not support the status quo' posts.

What exactly was the point of that post?

Still no answers, no wonder you have nearly 40k post is thats the rubbish you are posting.

What exactly was the point of that post?

Still no answers, no wonder you have nearly 40k post is thats the rubbish you are posting.

Money is wasted all the time SK on projects.

What is your point relating to that? Is it just because it's a border poll that you are suddenly upset about waste?

• Advertisement

Money is wasted all the time SK on projects.

What is your point relating to that? Is it just because it's a border poll that you are suddenly upset about waste?

As I said, show us how it is paid for and then have a poll. Reasonable request would you not think?

As I said, show us how it is paid for and then have a poll. Reasonable request would you not think?

It will be 'paid for' as the country you are in now is 'paid for'.

You didn't answer my question
    How is the solution designed for a countries fecked up finances comparable to dealing with the cost of reunifying a country
    Its not within an ass 's roar of being the same

You didn't answer my question
    How is the solution designed for a countries fecked up finances comparable to dealing with the cost of reunifying a country
    Its not within an ass 's roar of being the same

The assumption that the EU will just pay no matter what is the same. The situations are obviously different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

walshb wrote: »
    There has to be a large large amount people who couldn’t give a toss about a UI, but will claim to give a toss due to wanting to be seen to be patriotic.

Pretty much everyone living on the island now knows no different than what is now..

Interesting theory, we seem to get that from most Taoiseach in their final days.

I would assume the EU would treat a united Ireland like any other country and supply aid if needed. There would be a special circumstance outside of the usual poor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Sinn Féin emailed thousands of party members and supporters the full details of the late Bobby Storey's funeral arrangements and told them that the wake for the senior republican would be open to the public.

The funeral of the former senior IRA figure on June 30 last now is the subject of a Police Service of Northern Ireland investigation into alleged breaches of Covid-19 regulations that were in place in the North at the time.

The funeral was attended by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald, her predecessor Gerry Adams, her deputy Michelle O'Neill, finance spokesman Pearse Doherty and several other senior Sinn Féin figures.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-email-told-thousands-storey-wake-is-open-to-public-39775038.html

So the truth of the Bobby Story political rally is coming to bare.
    So, who is going to resign for this sorry affair?

Seeing as NI has some of the highest Covid Infection rates in Europe, history will show that the SF reaction to the death of Bobby Storey as a one that cost many many lives.
    More blood on the hands of SF/IRA.

The assumption that the EU will just pay no matter what is the same. The situations are obviously different.

They would contribute in a way that facilitates
    Thats not paying in full
    Noone is saying that
    Suggesting no significant contribution from the EU is just blinkered IMO

It will be 'paid for' as the country you are in now is 'paid for'.

I didn't expect any better answer. It might be better if SF started to concentrate on the people in the North during this crisis, would you not think so?

They would contribute in a way that facilitates
    Thats not paying in full
    Noone is saying that
    Suggesting no significant contribution from the EU is just blinkered IMO

The level of EU help will determine the true cost. SF's document assumes they will pay the lot.

• Advertisement

I didn't expect any better answer. It might be better if SF started to concentrate on the people in the North during this crisis, would you not think so?

I think a UI will safeguard us all in terms of health.
    No time like the present to discuss that.

Edit: I wasn't being glib, just giving a factual answer. A UI will be all of us working to survive as a country just as we do now.

In a way FF and FG helped dispense with the cost argument for many.
    After yet another FF crash, generational debt and austerity were we saw bail outs and debts written off for some while the tax payer suffers through numerous often record breaking crises year on year, footing the bill and actually having something such as a united Ireland to show for it would be something new.
    Let's face it, its only a matter of time before the next crony crash and austerity merry go round.
    Can't take any fiscal concern from FF/FG seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,823 ✭✭✭✭walshb

How many cases are linked to.this funeral?

Was under impression,one of main drivers was GAA celebrations?

It’s the attitude surrounding it that is the issue

If FF/GG did what SF did here there would be uproar from SF!!

Can people quit defending the indefensible..

Call a spade a spade...SF aren’t perfect...no party is.

Is this vastly different to say attending that garda funeral?
    Did.SF cause uproar over this??

Noone perfect,well except myself,but seems to be hypocritical to be ok,with attending the garda funeral and bobby story is not ok??

(Hint,both were not ok....but somehow fg feel the coronavirus wont spread,if they label.it a state funeral?)

Bowie wrote: »
    In a way FF and FG helped dispense with the cost argument for many.
    After yet another FF crash, generational debt and austerity were we saw bail outs and debts written off for some while the tax payer suffers through numerous often record breaking crises year on year, footing the bill and actually having something such as a united Ireland to show for it would be something new.
    Let's face it, its only a matter of time before the next crony crash and austerity merry go round.
    Can't take any fiscal concern from FF/FG seriously.

It is as if 10 years after a UI thsre would be an audit done to see if we were in profit as a result.
    It will never be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

markodaly wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sinn-fein-email-told-thousands-storey-wake-is-open-to-public-39775038.html

So the truth of the Bobby Story political rally is coming to bare.
    So, who is going to resign for this sorry affair?

Seeing as NI has some of the highest Covid Infection rates in Europe, history will show that the SF reaction to the death of Bobby Storey as a one that cost many many lives.
    More blood on the hands of SF/IRA.

PSNI... Investigation rumbling on.

Heads will have to roll here......

It is as if 10 years after a UI thsre would be an audit done to see if we were in profit as a result.
    It will never be like that.

That's why the financial side is so important. A badly run unification could be a disaster for the country.

That's why the financial side is so important. A badly run unification could be a disaster for the country.

Exactly, it is in no-one's interest that it doesn't succeed.

You got it reversed. The Horkan funeral had Calleary and Flanagan and its never raised where the storey one is a go to each time FF/FG embarrass themselves.

Nobody has defended them. We see this yarn posted every so often. Merely claims of hypocrisy from hypocrites. This isn't defending SF either by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

SF Kilkenny page calling for Leo to be shot and SF Wicklow TD getting a few knacker low shots in . I’m not Leo’s biggest fan but that shows the Calibar of the party and their supporters.,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement