Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Are we all supposed to ignore the regular articles in the Belfast Telegraph and Irish News about the Storey funeral and pretend it has all gone away?

Periodic articles would be more appropriate description.

You are prone to the old exaggeration when it comes to the bogeymen and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

smurgen wrote: »
    For all those putting the blame of covid in the North on Sinn Fein I must wonder... If we're to apply the same logic then surely we can blame FF/FG for the lack of agreement on Brexit? I mean if DUP and Tory party are so easy to deal with then surely it's FF/FG are being the difficult ones.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say

"What?"

The belfast telegraph is literally a unionst mouthpiece and sister paper to the irish indepndant?

They would write stories about shinners eating babies,if they taught it fly

A lot of people have it in for SF. A lot based on this thread. Or maybe, just maybe they are all right and SF is wrong.

A lot of people have it in for SF. A lot based on this thread. Or maybe, just maybe they are all right and SF is wrong.

A familiarity with the sympathies of the various media in NI would be sort of first base when commenting on the place.
    The various newspapers cater for the division caused by partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A familiarity with the sympathies of the various media in NI would be sort of first base when commenting on the place.
    Are we all supposed to ignore the regular articles in the Belfast Telegraph and Irish News about the Storey funeral and pretend it has all gone away?

Never knew the Irish News had gone over to the dark side.

Do we just have to rely on An Phravda for the news from now on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think I can speak for everyone when I say

"What?"

Exactly. Now you get it. The north is more nuanced than FFG supporters are willing to admit. The simplistic language applied by government supporters in here sounds illogical but it doesn't stop them screaming SF SF SF!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Funny how the rest of the world can talk about the vulnerability of the BAME population to the virus without a problem but any talk about whether one community of Northern Ireland is more susceptible to the disease gets shouted down with cries of sectarianism.

Sectarian head counts are ok when calling for a border poll, but dare anyone look at Covid-19 states per local authority area.

Because preferring a monarch over a pope or vice versa doesn't change your genetics maybe?
    If there's hard science please show us a link. Sounds like sectarian quackery.

Never knew the Irish News had gone over to the dark side.

Do we just have to rely on An Phravda for the news from now on?

The Irish News is sympathetic to the Nationalist side. Always was.
    The have printed periodic articles on this. What is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

smurgen wrote: »
    For all those putting the blame of covid in the North on Sinn Fein I must wonder... If we're to apply the same logic then surely we can blame FF/FG for the lack of agreement on Brexit? I mean if DUP and Tory party are so easy to deal with then surely it's FF/FG are being the difficult ones.

Well considering all of those deaths from Covid when the govt down here abandoned nursing homes last March, April, and May, one would imagine that supporters of FFFG should be mindful of people in glass houses throwing stones. They've nothing to be proud of.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well considering all of those deaths from Covid when the govt down here abandoned nursing homes last March, April, and May, one would imagine that supporters of FFFG should be mindful of people in glass houses throwing stones. They've nothing to be proud of.

Oh dear, the deaths in nursing homes were far worse in the North.

https://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/northernirelandnews/2020/05/07/news/coronavirus-one-nursing-home-reports-95-of-residents-have-virus--1930313/content.html

95% of residents in one home had the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52380353

300 cases by 20 April. How many by now?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52774149

"People residing in care homes have accounted for more than half of Covid-19 related deaths in Northern Ireland, official figures show."

By almost every measure the Covid-19 crisis in Northern Ireland has been far worse than anywhere else on these islands.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/northernirelandnews/2020/05/07/news/coronavirus-one-nursing-home-reports-95-of-residents-have-virus--1930313/content.html

"People residing in care homes have accounted for more than half of Covid-19 related deaths in Northern Ireland, official figures show."

By almost every measure the Covid-19 crisis in Northern Ireland has been far worse than anywhere else on these islands.

Oh I know. But they weren't so hot down here either. I can accept the faults and failings of the Shinners both down here and in the north. You seem however to feel that FFFG can do no wrong.

The Irish News is sympathetic to the Nationalist side. Always was.
    The have printed periodic articles on this. What is your point?

You assumed I was quoting from the Belfast Telegraph, when there have been an awful lot of stories critical of SF on the Storey funeral from the Irish News.

You assumed I was quoting from the Belfast Telegraph, when there have been an awful lot of stories critical of SF on the Storey funeral from the Irish News.

That might be because they deserve criticism, like everyone else who got it wrong.

Oh I know. But they weren't so hot down here either. I can accept the faults and failings of the Shinners both down here and in the north. You seem however to feel that FFFG can do no wrong.

Not at all. I have consistently said that all governments will make mistakes on Covid, none will escape that. New Zealand have destroyed their tourist economy for Covid, and that will cause them a lot of economic problems, hardship and deaths over the coming years.

We won't know the final outcome for years, but it is becoming clear where performance has been worse than those around you (US, Brazil and Northern Ireland being three clear examples).

Not at all. I have consistently said that all governments will make mistakes on Covid, none will escape that. New Zealand have destroyed their tourist economy for Covid, and that will cause them a lot of economic problems, hardship and deaths over the coming years.

We won't know the final outcome for years, but it is becoming clear where performance has been worse than those around you (US, Brazil and Northern Ireland being three clear examples).

And had the north an all island strategy they would be better off. Being pulled towards the disaster that is the UK at the moment has seriously endangered the health of this island.
    To be remembered when we get the inevitable border poll.

DUP have a lot to answer for IMO. However how does that bail out or excuse issues in this jurisdiction? Nobody is trying to make political capital off of it....well some aren't.
    I find there's a lot of gleeful reading of Covid deaths and infections up north and faux outrage over one funeral but not another. Poor 'debate'.

Bowie wrote: »
    DUP have a lot to answer for IMO. However how does that bail out or excuse issues in this jurisdiction? Nobody is trying to make political collateral off of it....well some aren't.
    I find there's a lot of gleeful reading of Covid deaths and infections up north and faux outrage over one funeral but not another. Poor 'debate'.

What you see as gleeful reading is another man's justifiable anger at the incompetence of the political parties in the North and the shameful example given by political leaders at the Storey funeral and the refusal to take responsibility for their actions.

Bowie wrote: »
    DUP have a lot to answer for IMO. However how does that bail out or excuse issues in this jurisdiction? Nobody is trying to make political collateral off of it....well some aren't.

I just imagine the daily figures being greeted with the same glee as the football results.

Anything for a political point or two.

What you see as gleeful reading is another man's justifiable anger at the incompetence of the political parties in the North and the shameful example given by political leaders at the Storey funeral and the refusal to take responsibility for their actions.

You use it as misguided ammunition.
    How would they take responsibility? Apologise again?

Remove North & Storey funeral from your post and include south and #LeoGate and its equally applicable.
    There really is no difference Blanch.

• Advertisement

The whole blaming the DUP is pathetic. If Sinn Fein is incapable of representing the people of Northern Ireland then they should shut themselves down as a party in the North. Why are they collecting a pay cheque if they can't do anything?
    Also, why are they in the Rep criticising any other party when they are so incompetent in the North they can't even make a few recommendations and guidelines to stop people from dying. This whole thread is just one big confirmation of what a useless shower they are. A joke of a party that Ireland should never have represent it. What would happen if they went into power and headed over to Europe, come back crying a few weeks later telling everyone it's not their faults and it was Boris who bullied them.
    A political party has to be strong, has to fight to get its point of view over and serve the voters. Thanks to the SF supporters for letting everyone know that is not SF. They are just a group of windbags who point the finger at other parties and achieve absolutely zero.

The whole blaming the DUP is pathetic. If Sinn Fein is incapable of representing the people of Northern Ireland then they should shut themselves down as a party in the North. Why are they collecting a pay cheque if they can't do anything?
    Also, why are they in the Rep criticising any other party when they are so incompetent in the North they can't even make a few recommendations and guidelines to stop people from dying. This whole thread is just one big confirmation of what a useless shower they are. A joke of a party that Ireland should never have represent it. What would happen if they went into power and headed over to Europe, come back crying a few weeks later telling everyone it's not their faults and it was Boris who bullied them.
    A political party has to be strong, has to fight to get its point of view over and serve the voters. Thanks to the SF supporters for letting everyone know that is not SF. They are just a group of windbags who point the finger at other parties and achieve absolutely zero.

You really don't know how politics work in the north.

What is the point of an uninformed post like that SK. Are you trying to wind people up, because it isn't really working. You are just showing how much you don't know and how desperate you are to get a defensive dig in.

You really don't know how politics work in the north.

If the north was doing great they'd be thanking the DUP/Tories :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

What is the point of an uninformed post like that SK. Are you trying to wind people up, because it isn't really working. You are just showing how much you don't know and how desperate you are to get a defensive dig in.

Usually when people talk out of their arse at length on one thing,they're doing it on other things too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I haven't read such an uniformed Clueless post since that time there was a poster on here claiming it was some kind of grand shinner conspiracy, because everyone and their dog knew the Ceann Comhairle automatically retained his or her seat in an election tbh. :D

Nobotty wrote: »
    Usually when people talk out of their arse at length on one thing,they're doing it on other things too

I quite like,where he taught boris was going to bully a future sinn fein government in european negociations

Its actually reasonably good quality satire,when you read it a 2nd time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I quite like,where he taught boris was going to bully a future sinn fein government in european negociations

Its actually reasonably good quality satire,when you read it a 2nd time

I only picked that up on the second reading of it, spot on Blaaz, spot on.

You couldn't make it up.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/11/23/news/sinn-fein-face-questions-over-email-to-members-ahead-of-bobby-storey-funeral--2138668/

The story keeps running. I remember we were told that Sinn Fein couldn't control the mass outpouring of support for Storey. It was all a lie as is now clear because Sinn Fein invited them along.

I love the SF double-speak here.
    The Sunday Independent reported that Sinn Fein emailed thousands of party members the full details of the funeral arrangements, and told them that the wake would be open to the public.

The party responded to the report saying the email “was sent for information purposes only”.

:D:D:D
    I guess, if I sent out some nude pictures of a girl, that is just for 'information purposes' only.

Honestly, a part of me can't wait for when SF is in government here in the South, as they will be such a disaster when it comes to their double-speak. Treating people like idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Last time I checked Sinn Fein were in government in the North. That's like giving the Greens a free pass on every government decision down here.

The reality is that Sinn Fein have been inconsistent North and South, opposing what the DUP wanted in the North and opposing what the government did in the South, no matter what Covid measure it was, the only common thread being opposition to themuns.

This is essentially the rub of it.

SF UK in the north are in government and are therefore in charge of the place and therefore responsible for their decisions.
    SF ROI in the south are in opposition and will criticize the government morning, noon and night for anything and everything, which includes the same decisions SF UK is implementing in the North....

There is only so long that bare-faced hypocrisy will last with people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement