Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Essentially yes,stormont has been.a failure,hence the need for reunification

Then why did SF/IRA sign up to the GFA if that is your view?
    Or was it simply because the IRA were defeated, a busted flush?

Re-unification will not get rid of 1 million Unionists in Ireland. In fact in any new political arrangement, they could hold the balance of power for the entire country.
    A fact that may not go down too well with would-be UI voters in the south.

Monarchys the world over should be banned imo,it flys in face of all i believe

That is your opinion, but that is all it is.

Irish Republicans are always at pains in asking 'da Brits' to stop telling us how to run our own state, maybe we should reciprocate the sentiment to other countries, like Denmark, or Norway, Or Sweden or Thailand, or Japan, or Tonga or, yes the UK etc...

Telling other countries and peoples how they should run their affairs is the height of ignorance, snobbishness and privilege.

Some countries run just fine with a monarch at the head of state. The Danes, Swede, or Japanese are not exactly uncivilised or uncouth people. Maybe we can learn some things about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

markodaly wrote: »

They took a leap of faith in the hope that nationalists / republicans would be treated as equals in a new landscape - 25 years later and it hasn't yet happened, that's why the next generation of dissident republicans have no problem getting numbers to join their ranks.

The IRA never were and never would be defeated by the Brits during operation Banner, they even said it themselves. The Brits had soldiers who in the main were in it for a wage whereas the IRA had committed volunteers who were fighting for their cause, that was the big difference.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/british-army-report-says-it-did-not-defeat-ira-1.809235

Because its a military stalemate,if you feel the brits would passed up a chance to crush the ira and defeat irish nationlists,fair play,personally i dont
    Re-unification will not get rid of 1 million Unionists in Ireland. In fact in any new political arrangement, they could hold the balance of power for the entire country.

What of it,its about making a better ireland for everyone, it simply wont ever happen while british can stir the pot and every so often rely on unionist votes to prop up a coalition

By every and all metric,NI and stormont,the last throw of the dice,has been a failure....i dont see point in pretending it will ever work

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The only Unionist to worry about is the belligerent Unionist and they are dwindling in numbers fast.
    They were reduced to meeting in the upstairs rooms of a pub when the Irish Sea border was first announced. Despite the rather hollow 'Never Never Never's' of their similarly dwindling political leaders they are are now getting on with building the infrastructure for the Sea border.

There is nothing to fear in the moderate Unionist. Stop scaremongering Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well considering all of those deaths from Covid when the govt down here abandoned nursing homes last March, April, and May, one would imagine that supporters of FFFG should be mindful of people in glass houses throwing stones. They've nothing to be proud of.

FF weren't in government in March, April, May no more than SF were. FF entered government in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The only Unionist to worry about is the belligerent Unionist and they are dwindling in numbers fast.
    They were reduced to meeting in the upstairs rooms of a pub when the Irish Sea border was first announced. Despite the rather hollow 'Never Never Never's' of their similarly dwindling political leaders they are are now getting on with building the infrastructure for the Sea border.

There's nothing to fear in the moderate nationalist either.
    But there's enough fanatics on both sides to give rise to violence.
    They haven't gone away you know?

There's nothing to fear in the moderate nationalist either.
    But there's enough fanatics on both sides to give rise to violence.
    They haven't gone away you know?

Of course. Funny you would answer my post. I wasn't the one scaremongering about 'a million'. :)

I have always doubted that there are 'enough' on the Unionist/Loyalist side to mount a sustainable campaign of violence.

There is no evidence of that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Of course. Funny you would answer my post. I wasn't the one scaremongering about 'a million'. :)

I have always doubted that there are 'enough' on the Unionist/Loyalist side to mount a sustainable campaign of violence.

They don’t go around wearing uniforms, a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

It'd be a pity if it came to it that anyone needed to resort to it.
    But I'd bet my house there'd be plenty willing to resort to it.
    We would probably need the un in for a while after unification.

• Advertisement

It'd be a pity if it came to it that anyone needed to resort to it.
    But I'd bet my house there'd be plenty willing to resort to it.
    We would probably need the un in for a while after unification.

Follow the outbreak of conflict/war the last time Bish. That came as tensions rose and rose until it all went up in flames.

Now take the point where Unionism realised the game was more or less up - when they lost their veto in the Anglo Irish Agreement. Militant, angry or violent Unionism has been in decline since that day. Tensions are decreasing across the spectrum of Unionism.
    From the AIA itself, to the heady days of the GFA when Ian Paisley could muster 1000's to take to the streets, to the Garvaghy Road (faded away to a whimper) to marches (faded away to compliance with the Parades Commission) to the 'fleg' protests (Faded away full stop) to the Irish Sea Border (never even began to glow).

Yes, they'll probably wreck their own areas for a while, but the moderate Unionist is nothing if not a pragmatist, they'll get on it with it.

I have never yet,heard an arguement in favour of monarchy,that wasnt riddled with hyprocrisy

Your free to support it,just i feel its roughly 200 years out of date tbh and noone should be head of state because of who their parents are

Everyone is born equal imo

Citizens of democratic constitutional monarchys are free to choose whether to remain a monarchy of become a republic. The only real effect on thier lives is who the titular head of state is. All real power lies with the democratically elected parliament and the executive accountable to the parliament. I dont believe someone should inherit a position based on birth, but if the Danes or whoever are happy with their system who am I to tell them what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1330246652431626241
    Sums up Northern Ireland with Sinn Fein and DUP.

Citizens of democratic constitutional monarchys are free to choose whether to remain a monarchy of become a republic. The only real effect on thier lives is who the titular head of state is. All real power lies with the democratically elected parliament and the executive accountable to the parliament. I dont believe someone should inherit a position based on birth, but if the Danes or whoever are happy with their system who am I to tell them what to do

You are perfectly entitled to have an opinion though.

I have never yet,heard an arguement in favour of monarchy,that wasnt riddled with hyprocrisy

Yes, I can imagine you have great in-depth conversation with some Thai people or some Bhutanese. :pac:

Some countries are republics, some are democracies, some are constitutional monarchies, some are federal.
    Most Irish RA heads who go on about monarchies are just showing their ignorance and insecurity imo.

Having a monarch in the UK, or a king in Spain or an Emperor in Japan or a King in Thailand has and will never affect my day to day life. Dare I say it, it wont effect yours either.

I don't fear moderate Unionists, Irish Nationalists do.
    Anytime a Unionist voice gives an opinion the usual Trump crowd in Ireland raise their necks and gives us all a reminder on how uncouth and unaccommodating we actually are.

I don't fear moderate Unionists, Irish Nationalists do.
    Anytime a Unionist voice gives an opinion the usual Trump crowd in Ireland raise their necks and gives us all a reminder on how uncouth and unaccommodating we actually are.

Such as?

Having a monarch in the UK, or a king in Spain or an Emperor in Japan or a King in Thailand has and will never affect my day to day life. Dare I say it, it wont effect yours either.

Never said it will??

Simply put,its legalised inequality in my eyes.....i cant see how any rational thinking human can still support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Yes, I can imagine you have great in-depth conversation with some Thai people or some Bhutanese. :pac:

Some countries are republics, some are democracies, some are constitutional monarchies, some are federal.
    Most Irish RA heads who go on about monarchies are just showing their ignorance and insecurity imo.

The problem is one monarch, still not sure exactly what the Queen has done?
    Still uncertain what gain the PIRA got from killing Lord Mountbatten and other innocents people that day, I am sure someone can explain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

It deosnt make sense to me (same as that thing in america,appointing judges based on politics)

Like people are free to believe/support monarchies all they want,just i have never heard a convincing arguement in favour of it,from anyone

Democracy has massive flaws,anyone can acknowledge this,but i cannot see a single advantage of monarchy to anyone,only the monarches

Tourism mainly
    But some nations people's like to have a national father or mother figure in times of celebrations or crisis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The problem is one monarch, still not sure exactly what the Queen has done?
    Still uncertain what gain the PIRA got from killing Lord Mountbatten and other innocents people that day, I am sure someone can explain here.

She's happy to perch her well fed arse on a cushioned throne while murder and war crimes are carried out in her name.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/electoral-commission-urged-to-probe-sinn-fein-over-facebook-ad-funding-39783107.html

Sinn Fein running into problems with the Electoral Commission in the North as well as SIPO in the South. Time we had a full public investigation into their finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭joeguevara

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/electoral-commission-urged-to-probe-sinn-fein-over-facebook-ad-funding-39783107.html

Sinn Fein running into problems with the Electoral Commission in the North as well as SIPO in the South. Time we had a full public investigation into their finances.

No no no no, lets talk about zoos. Or is there anything Leo did.

That is very true Blaaz

Time for a look into them all maybe.

https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/analysis-there-is-no-way-parties-could-survive-on-the-level-of-donations-they-are-disclosing-717c73b8

Definitely agree with this. However, do you think that SInn Fein have a major issue, and why do you thing they are paying for things out of different accounts but are careful enough to have donations only going into NI accounts.

Time for a broader investigation into em.all perhaps?

Surely in a SF thread, we should only discuss SF things.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,964 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's behind a paywall, so impossible to know if it backs up what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

It's just another DUP deflection because they are under the spotlight themselves:

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/weeks-vast-secretive-donation-dup-vote-leave-chief-noted-dup-ability-spend-ps700k-2933146

• Advertisement

Well i mean,we had some conspiracy flying about kinihans and mi5 aswell the other day....guess anything goes?

The Mi5 is a weird one. DK is one of record as is the boxing company. Very little said about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement