Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,962 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    Stanley's greatest crime was using the "d" instead of "the" before "British Army"

Narrow water was a fairly successful operation by the provos in fairness. Stanley should have realised that today's society is too politically correct and right on to publicly voice his admiration for it though.

Kilmiachel good, narrow water bad?

I've no problem with the tweet myself in case anyone was left with any doubt.

No, we are not in any doubt that you have no problem with the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Good girl Audey Carville - landing Gregory Campbell on his hypocritical ass on RTE.

Sooner the conversation is had about the hypocrisy that goes on about ALL the violence perpetuated on this island the better.

Yes heard that, proper journalism, not the same can be said for the moany Mary Wilson interviewing the smug 'merc & perk " Coveney, god he's just unbearable at times. The hypocrisy was breath taking, of course he resorted to the mask coming off mantra, it's becoming tiresome.

FG couldn't wait to put the boot in given the weekends polls, perhaps Coveney & Co should be reminded of their little history, namely the fascist blueshirts.

I do however believe Stanley's comments whilst probably reasonable given historical context did go a little far, particular the end if his tweet.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Oh the constant whataboutery nonsense.

You mentioned bending the knee, I pointed out why many people cannot bend their knees in Ireland - the criminal thugs of the IRA who were supported by Sinn Fein. Kneecapping was an IRA tactic, not a British one. Why would I mention the British?

Man up and condemn Stanley. Your tired excuses for Sinn Fein have run out of road.

Why would I condemn him?

What he said was true.

I believe all the violence was wrong and I primarily blame the British for what happened here and I agree it is a tragedy they didn't learn.

Somebody says it in a tweet and you want me to condemn it?

I think he was stupid attracting another round of holier than thou outrage. Other than that, what he said was true, there was NO difference in the two acts as I said in my first post on the matter.
    Not sure why people are constantly surprised a Shinner would praise the IRA tbh.

Kilmichael = good. Narrow Water = bad.

Both were equally savage acts of violence where real people died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

And blanch?

Any mention for all the others injured and killed by the violence perpretrated on this island?

More of the 'look the other way' hypocrisy here like Gregory Campbell this morning. 'We can celebrate battles and killings every year and we demand we are allowed do that, and when we fraternise with unrepentent Loyalists we are not endorsing them...oh No, we are holier than that crowd over there. Or Charlie and Leo and the cohort on here, 'what savages are we that cannot. forgive and forget and pay respects to the Black and Tans?'

On it goes. As I say until there is a mature conversation about these things these issues will continue.

Problem is,its pc enough to talk about founding of the state battles because a century has passed and there's noone on the island offended
    There's still the guts of a million people on the island who welcome the British army's presence here and whose votes are needed for a UI
    Stanley made a slip,thats all,just like yer man in waterford
    The views are no secret,they need to be kept to meetings or in the home not flaunted in public
    Its not pc to talk about the black and tans because there is a significant group in the state offended by their actions
    Thats also a mistake,a much bigger profile one that I suspect won't be repeated either

Nobotty wrote: »
    Problem is,its pc enough to talk about founding of the state battles because a century has passed and there's noone on the island offended
    There's still the guts of a million people on the island who welcome the British army's presence here and whose votes are needed for a UI
    Stanley made a slip,thats all,just like yer man in waterford
    The views are no secret,they need to be kept to meetings or in the home not flaunted in public
    Its not pc to talk about the black and tans because there is a significant group in the state offended by their actions
    Thats also a mistake,a much bigger profile one that I suspect won't be repeated either

Well if people want to cod themselves while accepting there are those who welcome the British Army, that's their own business.

There was and will always be more than them living here.

• Advertisement

Well if people want to cod themselves while accepting there are those who welcome the British Army, that's their own business.

It seems there will always be thuggish Sinn Fein elements letting the Irish down.

Stanley should be shoved back under the rock he slid out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Doesn't matter
    You have to bring THEM with you
    No United Ireland without them

It seems there will always be thuggish Sinn Fein elements letting the Irish down.

Stanley should be shoved back under the rock he slid out of.

Why would you do that?

Would you shove those who want to celebrate the British actions here under the rock too?

Or is it time for a mature conversation around this without the hyperbole and hypocrisy?

Doesn't matter

We have to be honest.

The bull**** already about this is riddled with dishonesty.,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

McMurphy wrote: »
    Stanley's greatest crime was using the "d" instead of "the" before "British Army"

Narrow water was a fairly successful operation by the provos in fairness. Stanley should have realised that today's society is too politically correct and right on to publicly voice his admiration for it though.

Kilmiachel good, narrow water bad?

I've no problem with the tweet myself in case anyone was left with any doubt.

Nor should ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Comparing attacks during the war of independence and what the provos done is another attempt to rewrite history. Just like SF are now making out the whole troubles was about civil rights instead of Brits out and denying people their right to a fair trial and not to be murdered in the street.

The election of the first Dail on the basis of Ireland becoming a self governing nation gave the IRA at the time a mandate to fight for independence. The overwhelming majority of Irish people supported the IRA during the War of Independence. Of course there was some downright shameful acts committed by the IRA at the time and there is a fear to call them out on this.

As for the troubles who were the provos accountable to ? Absolutely nobody.. Did they have any kind of a mandate ? In truth the vast majority of people this island were against them.

Tweets like this push those Protestants in North who may vote of a UI further away.

Doesn't matter

Nah, they believe they just have to outbreed the Protestants, that they don't have to give even a millimetre, let the demographics do it.

Don't enlighten them to the stagnating vote share for nationalists in the North.

Nah, they believe they just have to outbreed the Protestants, that they don't have to give even a millimetre, let the demographics do it.

Don't enlighten them to the stagnating vote share for nationalists in the North.

No, that was why there are 6 counties not 9 and 70,000 Protestants were abandoned to the 'Free State'.
    Unionism feared the Taigs would 'out breed them' because people like Craig believed they 'bred like rabbits'.
    Know the history blanch before putting the foot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No, that was why there are 6 counties not 9 and 70,000 Protestants were abandoned to the 'Free State'.
    Unionism feared the Taigs would 'out breed them' because people like Craig believed they 'bred like rabbits'.
    Know the history blanch before putting the foot in it.

Given the roaring and shouting from SF bots over recent events, surprising that there was no outcry over this tweet.

The usual ‘omertà’ from the usuals who will emerge from under their slates when those trying to lead this country make a slip up.

Goes to show that the suit doesn’t hide the mask and the waft of the whins and heather is still apparent around Parnell Sq.

Haven’t gone away you know ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I too have suspected this for a long time. A United Ireland is the coming together of Southern Nationalists with Northern Nationalists, who they hope will outbreed Northern Unionists, ergo you get your United Ireland, not by uniting with Unionists, but by outbreeding them < this seems to be the plan, as there's zero hint of any kind of Unity with Unionists, and vice versa I should say.

Regarding Stanley's tweet, well he's obviously a RA head in a suit, disgusting character by all accounts.

Given the roaring and shouting from SF bots over recent events, surprising that there was no outcry over this tweet.

If it was anybody other than the usual cohort of high moral grounders that were 'upset' I would have expected him to be trending at least. No sign of that at all.

Like all the muck thrown by FG and FF in the election and since, it has had no real impact on people bar as I say, the usual cohort. They haven't gone away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I too have suspected this for a long time. A United Ireland is the coming together of Southern Nationalists with Northern Nationalists, who they hope will outbreed Northern Unionists, ergo you get your United Ireland, not by uniting with Unionists, but by outbreeding them < this seems to be the plan, as there's zero hint of any kind of Unity with Unionists, and vice versa I should say.

Regarding Stanley's tweet, well he's obviously a RA head in a suit, disgusting character by all accounts.

I would have thought the plan for United Ireland is that a majority on both sides of the border vote for it, plain and simple

Didnt realise there was some weird sectarian veto that had to be overcome, I mean, I know thats what created NI but times have moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

This is the issue, by the time they "outbreed" the protestants they will have a bigger issue because other religions will be "outbreeding" the protestants as well. So what's the plan then?

Hmmm SF press office released a statement expressing satisfaction that the tweet was deleted saying that it was “inappropriate and insensitive’ .......

Very strange that the cohort here see nothing wrong with it..........hmmmm .... that I can see anyway.

Some even justify it because it was ‘true’. Might I point out that that fact doesn’t always justify inappropriate and insensitive publication like that.

Very bad day for SF when this lad who I believe has some ‘form’ burst out from the tightly bound ranks of the Shinners.

MLMCD will NOT be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Bambi wrote: »
    I would have thought the plan for United Ireland is that a majority on both sides of the border vote for it, plain and simple

Didnt realise there was some weird sectarian veto that had to be overcome, I mean, I know thats what created NI but times have moved on.

I have always hoped that if there was to be a "United Ireland" then it would involve the mutual coming together of the two cultures, the two traditions, the two colours, Green & Orange, but if a so called United Ireland is to be created by one tribe just outbreeding the other, then I can't see how that's Uniting the island with any kind of long standing stability or harmony :(

• Advertisement

I have always hoped that if there was to be a "United Ireland" then it would involve the mutual coming together of the two cultures, the two traditions, the two colours, Green & Orange, but if a so called United Ireland is to be created by one tribe just outbreeding the other, then I can't see how that's Uniting the island with any kind of long standing stability or harmony :(

It's doesn't, it is just a recipe for disaster. Not that a certain section cares. The plan seems to be just try and drive a whole community in Northern and Rep out. On the other thread one of the posters actually said they would have to work to gain "respect" from everyone else. Crazy stuff. Also if you call United Ireland into question you are called a "beligerent unionist" or a "partitionist".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,803 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's pathetic that some on here can't even condemn that tweet that was issued

The guy himself admitted how wrong it was....even if he was happy to send it

There is absolutely no place in today's society for people in powerful and influential positions to be peddling this....it's disgraceful

Unionists or Nationalists!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Disgusting comment from an elected official, it really exposes the violent mire at the heart of that party.

Celebrating massacres, lovely.

In the meantime people can't even go for a game of golf and a meal, cause they are the real bad guys.....

The sooner Irish people wake up to these scumbags the better.

walshb wrote: »

There is absolutely no place in today's society for people in powerful and influential positions to be peddling this....it's disgraceful

He outraged a few people who cannot grasp the hypocrisy of someone like Leo Varadkar standing proudly under a portrait of Michael Collins and haing a fit about saying something like Stanley said.

This will happen again and again and Unionists, Nationalists, British and Partitionist will fall foul of it.

Do we 'never mention' it ALL or just the selective 'sanitised by time' bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,803 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He outraged a few people who cannot grasp the hypocrisy of someone like Leo Varadkar standing proudly under a portrait of Michael Collins and haing a fit about saying something like Stanley said.

This will happen again and again and Unionists, Nationalists, British and Partitionist will fall foul of it.

What are you taking about...

Can you condemn this tweet or not, and say that it was wrong...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He is a scumbag, he should resign.

The chairman of the Public Accounts committee?

Laughable, it really is a joke.

Every post from SF
    "But but but Leo something something something" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

walshb wrote: »

Why would you want "some" to condemn his tweet?

It was a fairly successful operation, the IRA back then sent an excellent message to their oppressors.

A game of five aside wouldn't have sufficed.

Stanley should have known what was in store tweeting it, but I can't fault his sentiments.

Decent people have resigned for far less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

SF Supporters:
    What is the big deal?, UP DA RA!!

SF Press Officer:
    "We note that Brian Stanley has deleted a tweet that was inappropriate and insensitive, and that he has apologised.

"We all have a responsibility in this Decade of Centenaries to remember and commemorate the past in a respectful manner."

Yet, its everyone else who is wrong here, not the sentiments from the SF corner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement