Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Decent people have resigned for far less.

I think the bit in bold says it all.
    The embarrassing bit for SF is the supporters online here defending it after SF said it wasn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Every post from SF
    "But but but Leo something something something" :rolleyes:

But...but...a multitude of people are hypocritical on this issue.

Yourself for instance on the NI thread, demanding Orangemen be allowed to triumphalise killing to defeat Catholicism and all the other glorious military exploits.

Forget it all, or learn to live with the past properly, would be my solution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

But...but...a multitude of people are hypocritical on this issue.

Yourself for instance on the NI thread, demanding Orangemen be allowed to triumphalise killing to defeat Catholicism and all the other glorious military exploits.

Forget it all, or learn to live with the past properly, would be my solution.

Manages to deflect argument to blaming Orangeman.

Nice try, it gets patronising.

He needs to resign.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

He needs to resign.

He may or may not resign.

Doesn't get rid of the issue though.

He may or may not resign.

Doesn't get rid of the issue though.

Continues deflecting ( and patronising )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

He needs to resign.

Doubt he will resign. If it was another party the other TD's and supporters would demand it.

SF not so much

Continues deflecting ( and patronising )

Deflection? Talking about the issue this raises, remembering/celebrating the past?

And the 'patronising' bit is lost on me.

Doubt he will resign. If it was another party the other TD's and supporters would demand it.

SF not so much

Yes we seen great example set by the last TD who confessed to wrongdoing...yes indeedy. :):)

Deflection? Talking about the issue this raises, remembering/celebrating the past?

And the 'patronising' bit is lost on me.

Don't worry Francie, just blame it on unionist intransigence like everything else.

That usually works?

Don't worry Francie, just blame it on unionist intransigence like everything else.

That usually works?

I suppose a tweet will allow you to convince yourself they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Bellends all over social media defending Stanley's divisive rhetoric. I have to wonder what has happened to our institutions in the past decade to lead to IRA glorification, parents and teachers have to take their share of blame. How did this seep into our kids' education/culture?

As the chairman of the public accounts committee his reputation is now in smithereens.

He needs to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

As the chairman of the public accounts committee his reputation is now in smithereens.

He needs to resign.

No he doesn't.

He needs to resign.

Jaysus more hypocrisy.

We had a Tanaiste who confessed to wrongdoing and the entire government circled the wagons to defend him not to mention the same cohort here outraged by this. Gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

spacet wrote: »
    Completely agree.......... Can you imagine SF in control of the confidential state documents, the Justice Dept or hand picking unqualified judges. Trumpian levels of Danger.

Unionists work on a daily basis with SF. Probably them. Your argument is nonsense.

On the point of 'unqualified judges' -I assume you have the Woulfe case in mind ( but if not -my point still stands)
    The fact people should consider is that the Supreme Court is unlike the other types of court i.e. it's not that they do what the other courts do but at a higher level. The SC judges rule on issues of societal or individual significance after examining abstract points of law ,precedents and Constitutional interpretations.
    Therefore having experience of standard courtroom practice is not any kind of prerequisite for being a SC judge. In fact the mainstream work of an Attorney General would,if anything. be more pertinent. The fact that Justice Woulfe may not have experience as a practising judge in a lower court is irrelevant.

Jaysus more hypocrisy.

We had a Tanaiste who confessed to wrongdoing and the entire government circled the wagons to defend him not to mention the same cohort here outraged by this. Gas!

Whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Jaysus more hypocrisy.

Are you not being a hypocrite in the opposite way though if that's the argument here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Jaysus more hypocrisy.

But Francie you can’t have every outlet of SF plastering social media with all the United Ireland propaganda then have a Member then post this - it’s either one way or another.Unionists are like the relative you have over for Christmas dinner that no one really likes , you smile nod and be civil to keep the peace . You don’t don’t stoke the fire at every opportunity and wreck the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Stanley coming under pressure to go......’opposition’ and I include McSharry in this circling the wagons.

Can’t have any cred. as Chairman of the PAC .

Hope this one doesn’t drag on and he’ll go quietly.

Stanley coming under pressure to go......’opposition’ and I include McSharry in this circling the wagons.

He should stand his ground.

Made a mistake, apologised, move on, forgotten about - that seems to be the process in Leinster House of late.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Are you not being a hypocrite in the opposite way though if that's the argument here?

No, as I never sought a resignation in Leo's case.

And I would put disclosing state secrets on a much higher plane of wrongdoing than an insensitive tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Resign?

He shouldnt even have deleted the tweet, just shows how PR obsessed the shinners are now that he did.

But Francie you can’t have every outlet of SF plastering social media with all the United Ireland propaganda then have a Member then post this - it’s either one way or another.Unionists are like the relative you have over for Christmas dinner that no one really likes , you smile nod and be civil to keep the peace . You don’t don’t stoke the fire at every opportunity and wreck the dinner.

Sweep it all under the carpet?
    No thanks.

These issues need discussing and airing however unpalatable they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,962 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If it was anybody other than the usual cohort of high moral grounders that were 'upset' I would have expected him to be trending at least. No sign of that at all.

Like all the muck thrown by FG and FF in the election and since, it has had no real impact on people bar as I say, the usual cohort. They haven't gone away either.

All over the 1 o'clock news on RTE, meeting of the PAC later this week will keep it going.

Imagine if he was a FG TD and had referred to a group like the travelling community as slow learners rather than the British, and consider the number of outraged posts that Shinnerbots would be flooding Twitter with.

To be fair to MacSharry, he didn't want Barry Cowen, Dara Calleary or Leo Varadkar to resign, so he is being consistent.

Mary-Lou wanted all of them to resign, so she should be leading the charge for Stanley's head.

That usually works?

It's the partitionists this time who are to blame.

blanch152 wrote: »
    To be fair to MacSharry, he didn't want Barry Cowen, Dara Calleary or Leo Varadkar to resign, so he is being consistent.

Mary-Lou wanted all of them to resign, so she should be leading the charge for Stanley's head.

No, she should just tell him to pretend he's sorry like Leo did and it's job done and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He outraged a few people who cannot grasp the hypocrisy of someone like Leo Varadkar standing proudly under a portrait of Michael Collins and haing a fit about saying something like Stanley said.

This will happen again and again and Unionists, Nationalists, British and Partitionist will fall foul of it.

Do we 'never mention' it ALL or just the selective 'sanitised by time' bits?

Your blind defence of anything that comes from SF is always good for a laugh Francie, especially for someone who always claims not to be that into them.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Your blind defence of anything that comes from SF is always good for a laugh Francie, especially for someone who always claims not to be that into them.

I'm a republican...shock horror I would have the views I do.

Not and never was a member of SF. And I criticise them if they are due criticism.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    All over the 1 o'clock news on RTE, meeting of the PAC later this week will keep it going.

Imagine if he was a FG TD and had referred to a group like the travelling community as slow learners rather than the British, and consider the number of outraged posts that Shinnerbots would be flooding Twitter with.

The 'usual cohort' so.

Imagine if it was a FG TD who had confessed to wrongdoing is all you need to here blanch. How did the last instance of that go?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement