Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Therin lies the rub. Murder is murder. In this case committed by lawless thugs.

Does that include the shooting of Michael Hudson?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The killings carried out using Shannon Airport don't have my blessing either...what is your point here? Are you claiming to speak for everybody on the island?

The people voting in larger and larger numbers for SF don't agree with you, simple as that.
    Again - it is an issue that needs open and frank discussion, not high moral ground onesided condemnations.

Francie, you are by far the biggest IRA supporting Terrorist sympathiser on here, so with this in mind I don't care one jot what you think or what your opinion is.

People are obviously very angry today, and specially with people like you who are so IRA friendly, but then claim 'ah sure be'gurrahh it was just a war', and people get killed in wars don't they?

Well I can tell you that as the Troubles were raging up North, the Provos had little if any support down here, indeed (listen up Bowie) most Irish people were very Anti-PIRA, and Sinn Fein didn't even exist down here during the Troubles, so you can sling your hook with that yarn.

Again, for you Bowie, I'm from Dublin and I'm Irish.

With the British once again forced to confront what they did today at 4pm, they were many 'lawless thugs' going about so.

Call them what you want, won't really change all that much. The issues are still there.

And that, folks, is why Ireland will never be United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Francie, you are by far the biggest IRA supporting Terrorist sympathiser on here, so with this in mind I don't care one jot what you think or what your opinion is.

People are obviously very angry today, and specially with people like you who are so IRA friendly, but then claim 'ah sure be'gurrahh it was just a war', and people get killed in wars don't they?

Well I can tell you that as the Troubles were raging up North, the Provos had little if any support down here, indeed (listen up Bowie) most Irish people were very Anti-PIRA, and Sinn Fein didn't even exist down here during the Troubles, so you can sling your hook with that crap.

I'll take it you posted this before you read my responses or are you doubling down on your error? You read Blanch's mistake and are running with it.
    There were no folk from either side asked on. They are all Irish ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This isn't a normal society - it is a post conflict one, where many issues remain to be resolved.

The GFA is 23 in April.

Your conflict should have ended with it, 23 years ago.

Get a grip please.

I am not sure what type of country you really care about at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well I can tell you that as the Troubles were raging up North, the Provos had little if any support down here, indeed (listen up Bowie) most Irish people were very Anti-PIRA, and Sinn Fein didn't even exist down here during the Troubles, so you can sling your hook with that crap.

The worst kind Chops.

Plenty of time on their hands, and willing to go down every rabbit hole in Ireland to keep the propaganda going.

The twist of every post, the ten page debates, the dancing on the head of a pin.

This one is serious, Stanley will have to come out from under the slate.

Chairman PAC.....:P.... she’s receding into the ether.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,003 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I never supported the IRA, still don't and have often said I think it was all wrong from the start - partition.

I think the entire island tired of the conflict/war but I also think you are wrong about support. Events like Bloody Sunday and the Hunger Strikes brought 1000's out on the street here and I don't think anybody needs reminding of one of the quickest turnarounds in Irish government history when Leo and Charlie thought celebrating the British in a State ceremony was a good idea. I also think the fact many are willing to vote for SF shows that demographic at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it.
    You can be of the opinion that violence was wrong and still understand why it happened.

But that is for another discussion.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The GFA is 23 in April.

Your conflict should have ended with it, 23 years ago.

Get a grip please.

You can tell by the tweet, the responses, that lots remains unresolved. I think that's a fair observation what ever your politics.

I never supported the IRA, still don't and have often said I think it was all wrong from the start - partition.

I think the entire island tired of the conflict/war but I also think you are wrong about support. Events like Bloody Sunday and the Hunger Strikes brought 1000's out on the street here and I don't think anybody needs reminding of one of the quickest turnarounds in Irish government history when Leo and Charlie thought celebrating the British in a State ceremony was a good idea. I also think the fact many are willing to vote for SF shows that demographic at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it.
    You can be of the opinion that violence was wrong and still understand why it happened.

Let the sore heal, dude.

The horse has bolted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,962 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In your opinion. Many would disagree including me.

With many many legacy issues surrounding the conflict, with threats to the stability of the peace...we most definitely live in a post conflict society though. This conversation proves it.

It is not just my opinion.

Let's start on the right side of the political spectrum with the Heritage Foundation

https://www.heritage.org/index/?gclid=cj0kcqiazzl-brdnarisapcjs73ydjex-m7vllzg_y9inwohduku5yo538avs_kdkc3fi-h7m4fucb0aaslwealw_wcb?gclid=cj0kcqiazzl-brdnarisapcjs73ydjex-m7vllzg_y9inwohduku5yo538avs_kdkc3fi-h7m4fucb0aaslwealw_wcb

They rank us sixth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_2019

The Democracy Index, produced by the Economist, also has us ranking sixth.

At the other end of the political spectrum is the Transparency Index.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results/table

They rank us 18th out of 180 ranked countries, the top decile.

What about the Human Freedom Index? It uses 76 distinct indicators of personal and economic freedom. We rank 10th out of 162.

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new

That is how we are seen internationally - one of the best places to be born and live and prosper. So when I see people claiming that we are not a normal society and others claiming that we are poor and oppressed, I like to show them some perspective.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The GFA is 23 in April.

Your conflict should have ended with it
    , 23 years ago.

Get a grip please.

As classic an example of the belief that it was one sided conflict/war as you are ever likely to get.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is not just my opinion.

Let's start on the right side of the political spectrum with the Heritage Foundation

https://www.heritage.org/index/?gclid=cj0kcqiazzl-brdnarisapcjs73ydjex-m7vllzg_y9inwohduku5yo538avs_kdkc3fi-h7m4fucb0aaslwealw_wcb?gclid=cj0kcqiazzl-brdnarisapcjs73ydjex-m7vllzg_y9inwohduku5yo538avs_kdkc3fi-h7m4fucb0aaslwealw_wcb

They rank us sixth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index#Democracy_Index_by_country_2019

The Democracy Index, produced by the Economist, also has us ranking sixth.

At the other end of the political spectrum is the Transparency Index.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results/table

They rank us 18th out of 180 ranked countries, the top decile.

What about the Human Freedom Index? It uses 76 distinct indicators of personal and economic freedom. We rank 10th out of 162.

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index-new

That is how we are seen internationally - one of the best places to be born and live and prosper. So when I see people claiming that we are not a normal society and others claiming that we are poor and oppressed, I like to show them some perspective.

I live here, I'll make my own mind up, thanks.

If you cannot understand I am not talking about the general picture but unresolved issues surrounding partition and it's ongoing threat to the island...fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,962 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    So neither you nor blanch heard the show? No Shinners, no unionists. Making fools of yourselves :)

If you're born on the island you are Irish IMO.
    Bowie wrote: »
    Heard that. It was a very dishonest segment talking about Mountbatten in the context of the tweet regarding Warrenpoint. He'd nobody on from SF or even from an Irish perspective.

Will you stop. You can't dig your way out of this one.

You insinuated that the "Irish" perspective was one that praised Stanley rather than condemning him. You got that way wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I also think the fact many are willing to vote for SF shows that demographic at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it.

Oh no smartie pants, you don't get away with saying something like that and then say "but that is for another day" oh no....

You said above "I also think the fact many are willing to vote for SF shows that demographic at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it."

Well the "I also think" part is your perception from inside the Sinn Fein bubble, but not so outside the bubble where most newbie Shinners weren't even born when the Provos were murdering and mutilating people, so I suspect many newbie Shinners if asked would not support the murders committed by the PIRA, but then neither you nor I can prove either way.

I see you still can't bring yourself to say The Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

With the British once again forced to confront what they did today at 4pm, they were many 'lawless thugs' going about so.
    Call them what you want, won't really change all that much. The issues are still there.
    Nice "whataboutery" there Francie. :D

Oh no smartie pants, you don't get away with saying something like that and then say "but that is for another day" oh no....

You said above "I also think the fact many are willing to vote for SF shows that demographic at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it."

Well the "I also think" part is your perception from inside the Sinn Fein bubble, but not so outside the bubble where most newbie Shimmers weren't even born when the Provos were murdering and mutilating people, so I suspect many newbie Shinners if asked would not support the murders committed by the PIRA, but then neither you nor I can prove either way.

I see you still can't bring yourself to say The Troubles.

I never said that they would 'support' it. I very clearly said this:
    at least understand what happened was a conflict/war and not a onesided campaign by 'thugs' as some here love to depict it.

Which is where I always came from. You may find that position hard to understand but I think it is more prevalent than the kneejerk, 'thugs and criminals' attitude. That's because I can look around me and see how SF are an accepted force in Irish politics and are growing their support.

Nice "whataboutery" there Francie. :D

Thank you. It's exactly what I intended to do to point out the hypocrisies here.

Stanley should be gone from the PAC by tonight.

Has no credibility after going to ground.

Make no mistake this one is in the hands of SF.

Act quickly, pull the trigger, ( no pun intended) and you might regain something.

Leave this lad in place........not good.

I’m sure MLMD already realizes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Thank you. It's exactly what I intended to do to point out the hypocrisies here.
    But Francie ..... :rolleyes:

Will you stop. You can't dig your way out of this one.

You insinuated that the "Irish" perspective was one that praised Stanley rather than condemning him. You got that way wrong.

I certainly did not. You are either lying or believing something that wasn't there.
    He'd nobody on from SF or even from an Irish perspective.

If anything you could suggest I'm saying SF is not an Irish perspective. You'd be wrong, but at least there would be some semblance of logic to your thinking.

You read what I posted and concluded:
    Unionists are not really Irish, despite the Shinners claiming that they are. Partitionists are not Irish either, despite them being born and bred.

You are only Irish if you have a Wolfe Tones record and have voted at least once for Sinn Fein.

Under those conditions, Bowie is right, there was no Irish perspective.

There were no Unionists on the show.

You were completely and embarrassingly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Check any of the threads and it is page after page after page of you and other glorifying the PIRA.
    Very few in the Republic ever supported the PIRA and in the end very few in the North supported them either. Killing men, women and children normally does that. The child abuse and rape of women didn't help either. But I am sure you have an excuse for that as well?

SF are trying to hide the fact they are as big a shower as the PIRA but with this, the fake funeral, Up da Ra, they just keep reminding everyone what is underneath the mask.

Check any of the threads and it is page after page after page of you and other glorifying the PIRA.

Page after page? Where...post these posts where I glorify the IRA. You are lying through your teeth here again.

Very few in the Republic ever supported the PIRA and in the end very few in the North supported them either. Killing men, women and children normally does that. The child abuse and rape of women didn't help either. But I am sure you have an excuse for that as well?

SF are trying to hide the fact they are as big a shower as the PIRA but with this, the fake funeral, Up da Ra, they just keep reminding everyone what is underneath the mask.

Did you know there are former IRA members in Sinn Fein? Run, tell the villagers...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A joke of a party but we shouldn't be surprised.

Was only a short 9 months ago when David Cullinane shouted "UP The Ra" on the day he was elected.

Elected TD.

"Up The Ra".

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Butson

Party of dreamers.

A mix of middle class Dubliners (see Mary Lou) with some romantic notion of oppression and gullible members of the public who seem to think that SF have the magic bullet (sorry) to all of society's problems.

Also, they are weird sort of a nationalistic party compared to other countries as they are pro mass migration.
    Also, the link with Palestine. I mean, really. Read a history book.

Butson wrote: »
    Party of dreamers.

A mix of middle class Dubliners (see Mary Lou) with some romantic notion of oppression and gullible members of the public who seem to think that SF have the magic bullet (sorry) to all of society's problems.

Also, they are weird sort of a nationalistic party compared to other countries as they are pro mass migration.
    Also, the link with Palestine. I mean, really. Read a history book.

Generations of FF/FG cronyism, record breaking societal crises and boom and bust economics...has people turning elsewhere. Sinn Fein capitalised were Labour could have been and I hope the like of the SD's will be one day.
    It's foolish to think many voters decided to leave FF/FG and vote SF because of the troubles or 'up the 'RA'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Much like the Varadkar stuff recently, and all the stuff around golfgate, storey funeral etc, an absolute mountain is once again being made out of a molehill here. This seems to be the go to scenario when anything happens politically in Ireland these days - the continued rise of faux outrage and fake news on social media being the main culprit IMO. Just waiting for "the other side" to slip up and pile on.

Here’s the good bit, did we note O’ Broin emphasized “on a personal level” when interviewed by Dobson, on today’s 1300 news.

Carefully distancing himself from the party and no doubt hoping the ‘great unwashed’ don’t notice.

Why.... of course they would like one of their own ‘on the inside’ and in my opinion given the past history-:

McElduff.... back in politics it would appear after the Kingsmill panning.

Cullinane...... ‘we’ll break the bastard State’... senior post still there.

Stanley.... couldn’t resist the swing will he stand down.

This is what Ireland has to look forward to if these people get power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I live here, I'll make my own mind up, thanks.

If you cannot understand I am not talking about the general picture but unresolved issues surrounding partition and it's ongoing threat to the island...fair enough.

The GFA is in place, it is supposed to have taken the threat out of this island.
    Your language is comical as it appears you think that means as long as one side eventually wins.
    I don't think that was the point of the GFA at all.
    It's an agreement on a democratic process going forward.
    What threat to the island do you see?

• Advertisement

Here’s the good bit, did we note O’ Broin emphasized “on a personal level” when interviewed by Dobson, on today’s 1300 news.

Carefully distancing himself from the party and no doubt hoping the ‘great unwashed’ don’t notice.

Why.... of course they would like one of their own ‘on the inside’ and in my opinion given the past history-:

McElduff.... back in politics it would appear after the Kingsmill panning.

Cullinane...... ‘we’ll break the bastard State’... senior post still there.

Stanley.... couldn’t resist the swing will he stand down.

This is what Ireland has to look forward to if these people get power.

You be back from a knees up celebrating the Black & Tans if others got their way. :)

Again I ask, why the surprise that SF would support or celebrate the IRA. Were you asleep or something?

My only surprise is that he did in an insensitive way tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement