Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just because "some" people do appreciate it doesn't mean a TD should be glorifying it. I am sure some people still support the Nazi do you think a TD should be sending out tweets about it?

Look at the racism around here, do you think TD's should be allowed tweet tell XYZ they should leave Ireland?

According to you because "some" people support it then the TD should do it

Do you agree that is not a great idea?

You don't seem to realise the hatred for the PIRA. They sat and planned bombings knowing innocent people would die. They knew for the Shankill bombing that the target was not in the building, it was a chip and it had zero political gain. It was just a bomb to kill men, women and children. Yet you make excuses for them.

This is just another way of saying censorship.

People glorify/celebrate acts of violence all the time...listen out for it. You would have heard it at the State commemoration at Kilmichael had it gone ahead. You don't like this particular act of violence - fair enough. But that is your opinion.

Cue people jumping in talking for the 'whole country' or 'most' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    She didn't her hole. She was looking for him to comment on it. MM was aghast god bless him and the likes of yourselves are up in arms days. Give over.

Stop telling lies.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6217804/sinn-fein-brian-stanley-urged-stand-down-chairperson-tweet/

"Catherine Murphy, Vice-chair of PAC and Social Democrats co-leader, told how she was “appalled” by the tweet, and insisted there cannot be “business as usual” at the PAC on Wednesday amid the furore.

Murphy declared while Stanley had apologised and deleted the tweet, she maintained this was not “sufficient” - and said Stanley stepping aside for a time “may well be a resolution to this”."

She led the charge.

https://www.thejournal.ie/arlene-foster-brian-stanley-ira-tweet-5283268-Nov2020/

"Social Democrat’s co-leader Catherine Murphy, and a member of the PAC, said it would be difficult to pick up “as business as usual” when the committee meets again this week.

She said Stanley stepping aside for a time “may well be a resolution to this”.

Murphy said she did not think that Stanley taking down the tweet and apologising “will be sufficient”.

The role of a TD and as a chair of the PAC is a senior position, and with that role comes responsibility, said Murphy. Social Democrat’s co-leader Catherine Murphy, and a member of the PAC, said it would be difficult to pick up “as business as usual” when the committee meets again this week.

Murphy said she did not think that Stanley taking down the tweet and apologising “will be sufficient”.

The role of a TD and as a chair of the PAC is a senior position, and with that role comes responsibility, said Murphy. "

Really, I wonder how you think you can get away with it.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I never said any of it was ok, I said that people could legitimately view the two as different given the passage of time. If you read carefully, I don't give a definitive view of my own on 1916 or 1921. I only say that people are entitled to view the exact same incident at two different points in history in the context of wider society at the time. That goes to the heart of the fallacy of the tweet.

Warrenpoint was nothing of the kind. The GFA confirms that the wish of the majority of the population North and South is to allow British rule to continue. Once again you deny the legitimacy of democracy.

Utter bull.

The GFA asks that the 'wish of the majority' be respected. Nothing else.

Utter bull.

The GFA asks that the 'wish of the majority' be respected. Nothing else.

And the wish of the majority is for British rule to continue. Accept that and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I never said any of it was ok, I said that people could legitimately view the two as different given the passage of time. If you read carefully, I don't give a definitive view of my own on 1916 or 1921. I only say that people are entitled to view the exact same incident at two different points in history in the context of wider society at the time. That goes to the heart of the fallacy of the tweet.

Warrenpoint was nothing of the kind. The GFA confirms that the wish of the majority of the population North and South is to allow British rule to continue. Once again you deny the legitimacy of democracy.

You do know the IRA and Sinn Fein played a major role in the GFA?
    Do you think it's respectful to the majority who voted for it for the likes of yourself to try make every FF/FG blush about the troubles? Trying to link dissidents to SF on the one hand while making one a senator on the other?
    Don't get me wrong it does youse more damage than good so keep it up if youse feel the need.
    You're some man for creating the illusion of things. I'll ask for quotes, but we've been down this road time and again. Your claims are made up or will you show where I "deny the legitimacy of democracy" numerous times? I don't think so. Warrenpoint wasn't after the GFA so you are just trying to fudge things to cover your tracks here.

• Advertisement

And the wish of the majority is for British rule to continue. Accept that and move on.

I respect that, I don't agree with it.

Accept you tried to lie in saying that the GFA mean 'I wish for British rule to continue'

That is an out and out lie. Not only do you misrepresent other posters you misrepresent international agreements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

This is just another way of saying censorship.

People glorify/celebrate acts of violence all the time...listen out for it. You would have heard it at the State commemoration at Kilmichael had it gone ahead. You don't like this particular act of violence - fair enough. But that is your opinion.

Cue people jumping in talking for the 'whole country' or 'most' people.

I don't like the PIRA. If you want to glorify blowing up a chip shop and killing kids off you go. Let's not forget
    https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/troubles/troubles_stats.html
    Blowing up kids seemed to an all too common occurance with the PIRA.

Stop telling lies.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6217804/sinn-fein-brian-stanley-urged-stand-down-chairperson-tweet/

"Catherine Murphy, Vice-chair of PAC and Social Democrats co-leader, told how she was “appalled” by the tweet, and insisted there cannot be “business as usual” at the PAC on Wednesday amid the furore.

Murphy declared while Stanley had apologised and deleted the tweet, she maintained this was not “sufficient” - and said Stanley stepping aside for a time “may well be a resolution to this”."

She led the charge.

https://www.thejournal.ie/arlene-foster-brian-stanley-ira-tweet-5283268-Nov2020/

"Social Democrat’s co-leader Catherine Murphy, and a member of the PAC, said it would be difficult to pick up “as business as usual” when the committee meets again this week.

The role of a TD and as a chair of the PAC is a senior position, and with that role comes responsibility, said Murphy. Social Democrat’s co-leader Catherine Murphy, and a member of the PAC, said it would be difficult to pick up “as business as usual” when the committee meets again this week.

The role of a TD and as a chair of the PAC is a senior position, and with that role comes responsibility, said Murphy. "

Really, I wonder how you think you can get away with it.

So MM and Arlene Foster followed her lead? I'll not call you a liar. I'll call you wrong and desperate.
    All you show here is she had issue. I agree.

Bowie wrote: »
    You do know the IRA and Sinn Fein played a major role in the GFA?

SF and the PIRA got dragged to the table because they had lost everything. The people got sick of PIRA blowing them up and their kids, if not blowing them up they would go around beating them up or shooting them in the knees for no good reason.
    SF was seen as every bigger scum, trying to saying blowing up a child was a legimate target
    They had lost, the had no other option. Especially when the Omagh bombing happened, at that stage they also risking losing the US money flowing into SF.

I don't like the PIRA. If you want to glorify blowing up a chip shop and killing kids off you go. Let's not forget
    https://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/troubles/troubles_stats.html
    Blowing up kids seemed to an all too common occurance with the PIRA.

I don't care if you like them or not tbh.

Can you deal with the point - the attempt at censorship of some opinion but not other opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,786 ✭✭✭✭walshb

SF and the PIRA got dragged to the table because they had lost everything. The people got sick of PIRA blowing them up and their kids, if not blowing them up they would go around beating them up or shooting them in the knees for no good reason.
    SF was seen as every bigger scum, trying to saying blowing up a child was a legimate target
    They had lost, the had no other option. Especially when the Omagh bombing happened, at that stage they also risking losing the US money flowing into SF.

Sorry,

It was loyalists and unionists that got dragged to the peace table..

The IRA-SF were hugely influential in bringing peace..they were the people who we mostly need to thank for the peace today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lol, do you even know when Omagh was? Do you even know where it is?

Must be why SF grew their electoral support all the way through the conflict/war and when they GFA was signed became the largest nationalist party. At the last election here the largest party by vote too.

People have a funny way of showing things eh?

This reads like you get your 'facts' from the Beano.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Odhinn

SF and the PIRA got dragged to the table because they had lost everything. ...................

...but if they had "lost everything" there would have been no need to for the Brits to 'drag them to the table'....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You do know that in the years leading up to the GFA loyalist killings would outnumber republican killings, shooting teenagers in their beds because they dared go out with a protestant, burning wee boys because their parents were mixed religions, these are the loyalists you are fawning over, next time FG youth are lining up for the selfies with Jeffery remember what he really thinks of you

You do know that in the years leading up to the GFA loyalist killings would outnumber republican killings, shooting teenagers in their beds because they dared go out with a protestant, burning wee boys because their parents were mixed religions, these are the loyalists you are fawning over, next time FG youth are lining up for the selfies with Jeffery remember what he really thinks of you

First off I don't support FG but the obsession around here with FG is alarming. It seems every post has some response about FG in it.

Second I don't support loyalists but it goes to show the level of intelligence around here when the best you can come up with is "oh look at what they done". As if that makes what PIRA done ok. Alarming attitude

I would suggest you all go and do a bit of reading about the GFA and not from the SF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

First off I don't support FG but the obsession around here with FG is alarming. It seems every post has some response about FG in it.

Second I don't support loyalists but it goes to show the level of intelligence around here when the best you can come up with is "oh look at what they done". As if that makes what PIRA done ok. Alarming attitude

I would suggest you all go and do a bit of reading about the GFA and not from the SF website.

That's the SF mantra SK.
    It's always someone else's fault.
    Loyalists and FG are the root of all their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Has Stanley come out from under the slate yet?

Very strange that he has stayed underground since the tweet .

Meanwhile the ‘attack dogs’ have been sent out and the subs bench emptied on social media.

Turbulence ahead around 1630. Not over till it’s over.

Meanwhile the ‘attack dogs’ have been sent out and the subs bench emptied on social media.

He is sitting in the dungeon with Violet Anne. Can't let her out in case she loses it on facebook again.

Still no sign of repaying the money she robbed from a charity. Bit of a common occurance now.
    in 5,4,3......something about FG will be posted

• Advertisement

That's the SF mantra SK.
    It's always someone else's fault.
    Loyalists and FG are the root of all their mistakes.

I don't think pointing out that Loyalists killed far more as attempts were made to broker a peace deal is wrong Bish.

It's a fact. And what people need to be aware of is that politically they still want to destabilise NI. See Brexit for a prime example.

Did you see the Ceann Comhairle's letter back to Arlene Brendi?

It's funny...basically 'Yeh yeh Arlene we get you, yeh yeh, he needs to account. An apology to the house will do...See ya. Love, a chara Seán. xxx

P.S. Did you get your invitation to the State Ceremony At Kilmicheal? Just to let you know, it's been cancelled due to the Covid, but maybe Micheál told you in Enniskillen.'

Did you see the Ceann Comhairle's letter back to Arlene Brendi?

It's funny...basically 'Yeh yeh Arlene we get you, yeh yeh, he needs to account. An apology to the house will do...See ya. Love, a chara Seán. xxx

P.S. Did you get your invitation to the State Ceremony At Kilmicheal? Just to let you know, it's been cancelled due to the Covid, but maybe Micheál told you in Enniskillen.'

Comical Ali Nua, that's what your post sounds like. Here is what the Ceann Comhairle really said.

"Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl said last night that he was "personally appalled and profoundly dismayed" by the post.

He said the remarks required what he termed a "credible political response" from the chair of the Public Accounts Committee, which should be delivered "at the earliest opportunity"."

How long has the story about a tweet lasted now?

It is incredible that there are posters who still don't get how offensive the tweet was.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1202/1181808-brian-stanley-tweet/

Comical Ali Nua, that's what your post sounds like. Here is what the Ceann Comhairle really said.

"Ceann Comhairle Seán Ó Fearghaíl said last night that he was "personally appalled and profoundly dismayed" by the post.

He said the remarks required what he termed a "credible political response" from the chair of the Public Accounts Committee, which should be delivered "at the earliest opportunity"."

How long has the story about a tweet lasted now?

It is incredible that there are posters who still don't get how offensive the tweet was.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1202/1181808-brian-stanley-tweet/

Yes blanch, and then you get to what the CC ACTUALLY requires at the end of the letter.
    'Address the matter (statement and apology) at the earliest opportunity (today), in such circumstances, it should not be necessary to consider other actions' (that's the end of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

He is sitting in the dungeon with Violet Anne. Can't let her out in case she loses it on facebook again.

Still no sign of repaying the money she robbed from a charity. Bit of a common occurance now.
    in 5,4,3......something about FG will be posted
    amazing what you find if you use google:)

https://clarechampion.ie/e12116-wynne-windfall-for-west-clare-charity/

Yes blanch, and then you get to what the CC ACTUALLY requires at the end of the letter.
    'Address the matter (statement and apology) at the earliest opportunity (today), in such circumstances, it should not be necessary to consider other actions' (that's the end of it)

Were you appalled by the tweet?

Edit: CC is giving Stanley more rope. His public statement will be parsed to see whether he gets it, which is by no means assured given the reaction of republicans on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

UDAWINNER wrote: »

Hmmm ...wouldn’t trust a paper that can’t put the auld - in the right place.

Nah mate......soz.

UDAWINNER wrote: »

So she complied with a court order? You expect us to congratulate her for that fact.

I note that no rent was paid for the period from June 2016 (court order date) to December 2017 (when she left the property) and no payment for the legal costs of the charity was made.

She did the minimum possible to comply with a court order, don't see anything to praise her for.

Possibly the least suitable TD in the Dail.

Were you appalled by the tweet?

Edit: CC is giving Stanley more rope. His public statement will be parsed to see whether he gets it, which is by no means assured given the reaction of republicans on here.

The CC is saying very clearly that he is required to give an apology (which is what the person you claim 'is leading the charge' Catherine Murphy, requires too) and that is the end of the matter.

I thought the tweet was insensitive. The are many many more things of importance to be 'appalled' about this week TBH.

• Advertisement

The CC is saying very clearly that he is required to give an apology (which is what the person you claim 'is leading the charge' Catherine Murphy, requires too) and that is the end of the matter.

I thought the tweet was insensitive. The are many many more things of importance to be 'appalled' about this week TBH.

Here is another issue to be appalled about:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1201/1181683-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

"Another set of figures compiled by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) last week put the number of deaths at 1,301.

NISRA includes all deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, whether or not there has been a positive test result."

The Department of Health in Northern Ireland has been under-reporting Covid-19 deaths by a factor of one-third. I am appalled by that. I am also appalled and horrified that it means that deaths in Northern Ireland have been running at twice the rate of the rest of the island. What are the DUP/SF government going to do to help the suffering up there? Mary-Lou is well able to express her views about everything minor from school dress codes in Carlow to appointments of circuit court judges, but she would be better off telling her party colleagues to get the finger out.

I hope you are appalled at this as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement