Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I think all this palava about a tweet from someone we all know has this opinion is nonsense
    Having said that,you can't be comparing events from a 100 years ago with events where victims are still alive
    You can't be going back to when standards were different and applying todays standards to them

What would Michelle O'Neill say if a unionist politician tweeted,Battle of the Boyne and Loughgall,those catholics took a while to learn ?
    There would be outrage
    I'm sure they're thinking it but they've a bit of restraint

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Here is another issue to be appalled about:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1201/1181683-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

"Another set of figures compiled by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) last week put the number of deaths at 1,301.

NISRA includes all deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, whether or not there has been a positive test result."

The Department of Health in Northern Ireland has been under-reporting Covid-19 deaths by a factor of one-third. I am appalled by that. I am also appalled and horrified that it means that deaths in Northern Ireland have been running at twice the rate of the rest of the island. What are the DUP/SF government going to do to help the suffering up there? Mary-Lou is well able to express her views about everything minor from school dress codes in Carlow to appointments of circuit court judges, but she would be better off telling her party colleagues to get the finger out.

I hope you are appalled at this as well.

If that is true, then the Health Minister needs to account for it. ANd any SF MLA too.

I am not aware of a DUP/SF 'government'. I thought the 'government' was in Westminster with some powers devolved to an 'executive' uniquely structured and made up of 6 parties?

Mary Lou is and elected TD in the Irish government in Dublin and so would be expected to comment on many issues as the leader of the opposition here. An 'opposition' party in the unique structure of the NI executive doesn't exist.

So other than playing your macabre competition using tragic deaths and victims I am not sure what your problem is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1201/1181683-coronavirus-northern-ireland/

"Another set of figures compiled by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) last week put the number of deaths at 1,301.

NISRA includes all deaths where Covid-19 is mentioned on the death certificate, whether or not there has been a positive test result."

The Department of Health in Northern Ireland has been under-reporting Covid-19 deaths by a factor of one-third. I am appalled by that. I am also appalled and horrified that it means that deaths in Northern Ireland have been running at twice the rate of the rest of the island. What are the DUP/SF government going to do to help the suffering up there? Mary-Lou is well able to express her views about everything minor from school dress codes in Carlow to appointments of circuit court judges, but she would be better off telling her party colleagues to get the finger out.

You're still pretending in a Sinn Féin thread that it's not the DUP's fault for blocking the all island approach I see?
    That IS actually dishonest of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Not surprising but shocking they are hiding the results from the people. Only last week on the TV telling people from the Republic to go up the North for Christmas shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes blanch, and then you get to what the CC ACTUALLY requires at the end of the letter.
    'Address the matter (statement and apology) at the earliest opportunity (today), in such circumstances, it should not be necessary to consider other actions' (that's the end of it)

Do you agree with the Ceann Comhairle when he says

"To post such a hurtful statement on social media is not only highly disrespectful to victims and their families but an affront to all those committed to democratic politics on the island of Ireland"

"a credible political response – one which sincerely acknowledges the hurt and offence caused to the families who lost loved ones in Narrow Water"

And do you really think that Stanley will be able to express those words?

• Advertisement

Nobotty wrote: »
    You're still pretending in a Sinn Féin thread that it's not the DUP's fault for blocking the all island approach I see?

DUP are one party. I seen posts on here at the start of Covid saying how the DUP and SF had bonded because both of their mothers had got Covid. That of course was when the SF supporters said the North was doing great compared to the Republic
    So now it is all the DUP fault? seems the story changes depending on how the wind blows

SF collapsed the Assembly over an Irish language act and some farmers burning wood pellets. People are dying from Covid at twice the rate of the rest of the island and they are standing idly by.

It is their responsibility. Why isn't Mary-Lou in the Dail praising our government's response and asking for our help for the job her colleagues can't do in the North? Because saving lives in the North would cost her politically in the South.

Do you agree with the Ceann Comhairle when he says

"To post such a hurtful statement on social media is not only highly disrespectful to victims and their families but an affront to all those committed to democratic politics on the island of Ireland"

"a credible political response – one which sincerely acknowledges the hurt and offence caused to the families who lost loved ones in Narrow Water"

And do you really think that Stanley will be able to express those words?

Yes, I think he is able to, and further, I think the fact he quickly deleted the tweet demonstrates that he realised it was insensitive and hurtful. He isn't the first and won't be the last to tweet something he later regrets.

SF collapsed the Assembly over an Irish language act and some farmers burning wood pellets. People are dying from Covid at twice the rate of the rest of the island and they are standing idly by.

It is their responsibility. Why isn't Mary-Lou in the Dail praising our government's response and asking for our help for the job her colleagues can't do in the North? Because saving lives in the North would cost her politically in the South.

Parties that 'abstain' in votes for tighter restrictions are 'standing idly' by.

Mary Lou has given praise to the government here when it was deserved, as we all have.

*some farmers burning wood pellets.

just 'wow' is the response to that one. Maybe two - 'wow'. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I am not aware of a DUP/SF 'government'. I thought the 'government' was in Westminster with some powers devolved to an 'executive' uniquely structured and made up of 6 parties?

Really, you weren't aware that the executive run the government of NI? It says so right on their website
    The Northern Ireland Executive Committee runs the devolved government in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

DUP are one party. I seen posts on here at the start of Covid saying how the DUP and SF had bonded because both of their mothers had got Covid. That of course was when the SF supporters said the North was doing great compared to the Republic
    So now it is all the DUP fault? seems the story changes depending on how the wind blows

Yes it is the DUP's fault
    The story never changed
    The need for action did which of course the DUP are blocking not Sinn Féin
    You know this
    You are being dishonest
    The DUP have blocked the all island approach and a month ago they didn't want a circuit break
    A week ago they didn't want to extend the circuit break
    No party in the South has such a blocking power
    So if you are going to post attacking a party responsible for poor policy in the North, the DUP is your man
    Otherwise how can any of your posts be taken seriously
    Be truthful

Really, you weren't aware that the executive run the government of NI? It says so right on their website

You do know that a 'devolved government' isn't the overarching government?

And when you reference NI you should say either 'The Executive' or the 'devolved government' thus clearly stating that you know that they are not accountable in the same way as the Irish 'government' is.

Yes it is the DUP's fault
    The story never changed
    The need for action did which of course the DUP are blocking not Sinn Féin
    You know this
    You are being dishonest
    The DUP have blocked the all island approach and a month ago they didn't want a circuit break
    A week ago they didn't want to extend the circuit break
    No party in the South has such a blocking power
    So if you are going to post attacking a party responsible for poor policy in the North, the DUP is your man
    Otherwise how can any of your posts be taken seriously
    Be truthful

So the posts about Arlene and Michelle been best buds and a new found regard for each other was dishonest as well? that both parties had started to work together and bonded over the fact both mothers got sick
    Now when it all goes to poo that is all thrown out the window and now "It's the DUP's fault"
    As posted here SF brought the whole thing down over a few farmers heating a shed. Then sat at home for 3 years. Seems people dying is not a big concern for SF doesn't it?
    If SF can do nothing then why are people voting for them?

Parties that 'abstain' in votes for tighter restrictions are 'standing idly' by.

Mary Lou has given praise to the government here when it was deserved, as we all have.

Please point to this praise? anytime I see her or Pearse they are shouting down the TV, nobody knows why anymore its just seems to be a non stop moan

The response since this came to light just confirms how crazy this forum is
    A few people went during lockdown to play a game of game. Stupid and irresponsible. Pages and pages and pages of outrage from the SF minions. People had to resign and still weeks and weeks lost in the Irish government as a request for more people to resign continue
    Yet in the North, SF the second biggest party and boast about how great they are doing. Actually hiding people dying, covering up how incompetent they are and nothing on here. Best we have is the minions pointing the finger?

Imagine if this was the Rep of Ireland, we would be up to 5,000 posts already on a thread calling for everyone and every party to be fired. The whole HSE to be burned down.
    Just proves how pathetic some people actually are. Life doesn't matter once it doesn't suit the SF supporters agenda

You do know that a 'devolved government' isn't the overarching government?

And when you reference NI you should say either 'The Executive' or the 'devolved government' thus clearly stating that you know that they are not accountable in the same way as the Irish 'government' is.

So you are aware that NI has a government then! It's called the executive because it's the executive branch of the (devolved) government in NI.

I know exactly what a devolved government is and what the government of NI is and isn't accountable for. I would think anyone on a discussion board talking about SF & NI would know that.

Really though it's a bit silly to be getting worked up over semantics when you come out with clangers like this in the same post!

Mary Lou is and (sic) elected TD in the Irish government in Dublin

I think of all people Francie you would know Mary Lou is not an elected TD in the government of Ireland. The government of Ireland is made up of ministers appointed by the Taoiseach. When you reference TDs, you should say they are members of the Dail, or members of the lower house of the legislature. :D

So the posts about Arlene and Michelle been best buds and a new found regard for each other was dishonest as well? that both parties had started to work together and bonded over the fact both mothers got sick
    Now when it all goes to poo that is all thrown out the window and now "It's the DUP's fault"
    As posted here SF brought the whole thing down over a few farmers heating a shed. Then sat at home for 3 years. Seems people dying is not a big concern for SF doesn't it?
    If SF can do nothing then why are people voting for them?

Would you get over the pretend ignorance of the sectarian divide in the North
    You can't be ignorant of that
    I can't take anything you say seriously while you pretend that you don't know how NI politics works
    I have to conclude that your post about SF today not caring about people dying of covid is just plain dishonest
    Its not ignorance
    You know nationalists vote for nationalists and unionists vote for unionists and the DUP blocked both the all island approach to brexit and covid
    You know this
    If you want to pretend you don't or deny reality,you've no business in here talking out of both sides of your mouth proclaiming lies

So you are aware that NI has a government then! It's called the executive because it's the executive branch of the (devolved) government in NI.

I know exactly what a devolved government is and what the government of NI is and isn't accountable for. I would think anyone on a discussion board talking about SF & NI would know that.

Really though it's a bit silly to be getting worked up over semantics when you come out with clangers like this in the same post!

The Executive is not the government...the government sits in Westminster...exactly what I said. You can accuse me all day long but a 'devolved government' is not 'the Government' and is answerable to a higher power.
    Nice attempt to try and rescue yourself there.

I think of all people Francie you would know Mary Lou is not an elected TD in the government of Ireland. The government of Ireland is made up of ministers appointed by the Taoiseach. When you reference TDs, you should say they are members of the Dail, or members of the lower house of the legislature. :D
    Fair enough, point accepted.

Please point to this praise? anytime I see her or

Certainly
    This was yesterday
    "I think that was the right call and now we have to respond as citizens and respond in the way that for the vast majority of people has been our life now for the last nine months."

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6220021/cases-spike-level-3-mary-lou-mcdonald-covid-shopping/

Now kindly as I said in my last post to you Solutionking about your pretend lack of knowledge on how devolved government in the north works too, stop pretending things and making stuff up and you won't look so foolish

Would you get over the pretend ignorance of the sectarian divide in he North
    You can't be ignorant of that
    I can't take anything you say seriously while you pretend that you don't know how NI politics works
    I have to conclude that your post about SF today not caring about people dying of covid is just plain dishonest
    Its not ignorance
    You know nationalists vote for nationalists and unionists vote for unionists and the DUP blocked both the all island approach to brexit and covid
    You know this
    If you want to pretend you don't or deny reality,you've no business in here talking out of both sides of your mouth proclaiming lies

Maybe talk about the issue instead of throwing accusations at people. Thats a number of posts now you seem to think it is ok to say people are dishonest and lying.

• Advertisement

Maybe talk about the issue instead of throwing accusations at people. Thats a number of posts now you seem to think it is ok to say people are dishonest and lying.

What 'issue'?

Certainly
    This was yesterday

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6220021/cases-spike-level-3-mary-lou-mcdonald-covid-shopping/

Now kindly as I said in my last post to you Solutionking about your pretend lack of knowledge on how devolved government in the north works too, stop pretending things and making stuff up and you won't look so foolish

Instead of discussing the issue you decide to attack the poster.

If SF are happy to take praise for the North when it was going ok at the early stages you can't turn around now and say it is all the DUP's fault when ti turns to s**t. You do understand that?

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus/both-our-mums-have-been-in-hospital-reveal-ni-leaders-as-they-present-a-united-front-39229743.html
    I seen plenty of SF supporters jumping all over this specific article.

Do you know what a petition of concern is in strormont,yes or no
    I'm suggesting that its unbelievable that you don't, which of course is dishonesty
    You can clear that up now by saying you don't and that your post ignoring the DUP's ability to use it and how its presence was used to block all island approachs on covid and Brexit was just ignorance on your part

Do you know what a petition of concern is in strormont,yes or no
    I'm suggesting that its unbelievable that you don't, which of course is dishonesty
    You can clear that up now by saying you don't and that your post ignoring the DUP's ability to use it and how its presence was used to block all island approachs on covid and Brexit was just ignorance on your part

Sinn Fein have been supine in the North accepting that outcome.

They were also calling for pubs and bookies to be kept open in the North within a week of calling for schools to be closed in the South. They didn't want an all-island approach, they just wanted to oppose whatever the particular government was doing. Opportunistic opposition for the sake of opposition.

If SF are happy to take praise for the North when it was going ok at the early stages you can't turn around now and say it is all the DUP's fault when ti turns to s**t. .

Once again,you're ignoring the DUP power of the petition of concern
    When things changed they have that power,so they have to agree not to use it
    They didn't
    Did you know that or not?
    If not accept you were ignorant of it and that your last few posts blaming SF for the spiralling covid mess in the North are also wrong
    Facts are facts

Personally never seen that article until now. Can you link to SF supporters 'jumping all over this 'specific' article?

Personally never seen that article until now. Can you link to SF supporters 'jumping all over this 'specific' article?

Good luck with getting a satisfactory reply there
    So far this morning there's been no acceptance from that source, of the power the DUP has with a petition of concern to block all island approachs when needed in the North on Covid
    No acceptance because it destroys their petty argument that the Covid omnishambles in the North is SF's fault

Good luck with getting a satisfactory reply there
    So far this morning there's been no acceptance from that source, of the power the DUP has with a petition of concern to block all island approachs when needed in the North on Covid
    No acceptance because it destroys their petty argument that the Covid omnishambles in the North is SF's fault

SK never backs up anything he/she says.

The Executive is not the government...the government sits in Westminster...exactly what I said. You can accuse me all day long but a 'devolved government' is not 'the Government' and is answerable to a higher power.
    Nice attempt to try and rescue yourself there.

Fair enough, point accepted.

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, you haven't committed any crime as far as I am aware.

The government 'of the UK' sits in Westminster. The government of NI sits in Stormont, the same way the government of Wales sits in Cardiff and the government of Scotland sits in Holyrood. Just because the devolved governments don't have complete autonomy doesn't mean they aren't governments.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, you haven't committed any crime as far as I am aware.

The government 'of the UK' sits in Westminster. The government of NI sits in Stormont, the same way the government of Wales sits in Cardiff and the government of Scotland sits in Holyrood. Just because the devolved governments don't have complete autonomy doesn't mean they aren't governments.

Which is exactly what I said here.

1. There is NO SF/DUP government - agreed?

2. The 'government' sits in Westminster and devolves (transfer or delegate (power) to a lower level,) to the executive in NI - agreed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement