Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    So, what are you doing at the moment, defending Stanly, day after day, hour after hour?

Any SF TD caught doing something wrong, you defend, with absolute zeal.

From Barry McElduff, to Paddy Holohan and beyond.

It's not about their actions, it's about what others FF/FG are trying to do, am I right?

This is a thread about SF, yet over the past 72 hours you have tried to bring FG into the debate more than a dozen times....
    "Whatabout FG....."

Somebody on a SF thread defending a SF politician...well I never!

Do you mean to tell me that if I went to the FG thread there'd be people in there defending FG politicians? WHY was I not told? This is shocking revelations all together. Shocking.

Lie?

No, not at all. It appears to be very much true that the IRA are still somewhat 'active'.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/ira-armed-and-still-gathering-intelligence-opponents-says-leaked-mi5-psni-assessment-3054267

When ever you get confirmation that Stanley was told by West Belfast boys to suspend his Twitter...do post it mark...yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Somebody on a SF thread defending a SF politician...well I never!

You are not even defending SF, you are merely jumping up and down and shouting "But FG... But FF...." , over and over again.

If one had the courage of their convictions they would actually be defending SF and the latest stuff coming out about Stanley on their merits, but this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The only way you could affordably keep it to 65 in the long term would be to reduce the payment from it, and offset that by introducing mandatory, no opt out, private pension sign up to supplement the difference.

Either that or increase PRSI substantially across all workers.

I haven't noticed Sinn Feinn acknowledge the pensions time bomb at all, they seem to be either ignoring it or denying its existence from what I've seen.

I caught some of the Dail debate on it. It was interesting to hear that Ireland (along with Greece and Italy) has the oldest retirement age in the EU and that despite having the youngest population in the EU.

Maybe the rate should be decreased, and subject to a means test, but I think a lot of you are forgetting that people who are now reaching retirement age now, particularly in low paying jobs, have been working since they were 15 and have not had the benefit of a heavily subsidised third level education where most people nowadays don't start contributing to the state until they are in their 20s.

Increasing the age was hamfisted and lacked planning. It needed a much longer lead in time and better consideration given, which it is finally getting now.

You are not even defending SF, you are merely jumping up and down and shouting "But FG... But FF...." , over and over again.

If one had the courage of their convictions they would actually be defending SF and the latest stuff coming out about Stanley on their merits, but this is not the case.

People use comparisons in debates about political parties...another shocking revelation.

Mad stuff. What next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Is Stanno gone yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

McMurphy wrote: »
    I read today about mother Josepha needing to spend 20k of taxpayers money to hire some experts for the purpose of "improving her online image"

What says you about that bren?

Well that was a full house in one day. Every SF supporter mention this story. Did you forget to mention this is a person she is 100% entitled to hire and help her. Like every other TD has this option and I would expect all of them take it up. Yet it seems like big news in SF head quarters
    You did forget to mention a dodgy SF TD claiming for expenses during the lockdown, full expenses while living in Dublin. Now that is a fraud.
    I am sure next time you will mention that as you are so concerned about the tax payers money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Is Stanno gone yet?

Doubt it, still hiding away with Violet Anne in the Dungeon. They seen Cullinane got out so they are going to hold strong.

Not as if SF have any alternative:P

Is Stanno gone yet?

The faux woke crowd are getting a right head of steam going Brendi, you'll probably get your man today or tomorrow.

Very strange that only the party he belongs to can shift him from the PAC it seems?

I mean this is not a party political position a surely there should be more independent disciplinary control over people in those positions.

The PAC is a very important unit and the country can’t have some loose cannon asshat in the chair.

• Advertisement

Well that was a full house in one day. Every SF supporter mention this story. Did you forget to mention this is a person she is 100% entitled to hire and help her. Like every other TD has this option and I would expect all of them take it up. Yet it seems like big news in SF head quarters
    You did forget to mention a dodgy SF TD claiming for expenses during the lockdown, full expenses while living in Dublin. Now that is a fraud.
    I am sure next time you will mention that as you are so concerned about the tax payers money

Could she not have gotten someone to do it for free...like a 'student Public image enhancer'?

Very strange that only the party he belongs to can shift him from the PAC it seems?

I mean this is not a party political position a surely there should be more independent disciplinary control over people in those positions.

The PAC is a very important unit and the country can’t have some loose cannon asshat in the chair.

PAC's important now? Didn't one of you guys describe as a 'toothless' unit a while ago?

Must check that using the old search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

It's finished, let it go and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

jm08 wrote: »
    I caught some of the Dail debate on it. It was interesting to hear that Ireland (along with Greece and Italy) has the oldest retirement age in the EU and that despite having the youngest population in the EU.

Maybe the rate should be decreased, and subject to a means test, but I think a lot of you are forgetting that people who are now reaching retirement age now, particularly in low paying jobs, have been working since they were 15 and have not had the benefit of a heavily subsidised third level education where most people nowadays don't start contributing to the state until they are in their 20s.

Increasing the age was hamfisted and lacked planning. It needed a much longer lead in time and better consideration given, which it is finally getting now.

Greece and Italy aren't exactly the best performing economies in the EU.

Greece nearly destroyed by SF's friends in SyrIza and Italy hamstrung with criminality.

With a SF government we'll have a mixture of the above. Slab and One Shot having the advantage of comrades in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gene pool FF TD has a go at SF. Colour me skeptical on that.

Rich Boy had a pop as well Prionsias when "negotiations" were supposed to be ongoing.

Things are pretty bleak when you're making the likes of him look pragmatic...

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Rich Boy had a pop as well Prionsias when "negotiations" were supposed to be ongoing.

Things are pretty bleak when you're making the likes of him look pragmatic...

Where was that? I saw a letter where he was anxious to get 'back' to discussions on forming a government.
    Prior to the outbreak of Covid-19 in Ireland, we had reached quite an advanced stage in our efforts with you and other left independents to develop such a programme, and while a pause in those discussions was inevitable in the context of the health emergency, we believe we should now resume those efforts with a view to finalising that programme and presenting it to the public.

I feel that, more than ever, we owe it to those who voted for change on February 8th to offer a real alternative to the policies of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail and challenge the narrative that their return to power is somehow inevitable.

I called Eoin O’ Broin over the last week to make these suggestions and had a brief chat with him. We would be very keen to meet again soon, if you share our views on these matters.

Did he say something else on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Where was that? I saw a letter where he was anxious to get 'back' to discussions on forming a government.

Did he say something else on the matter?

Not much publicly as far as I know.

How much more negotiating took place after that letter was sent?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Not much publicly as far as I know.

How much more negotiating took place after that letter was sent?

No idea how much.

Not much publicly? :) But...PBP had a 'pop'. Okie doke.

BTW, I said it at the time of negotiations, there should be no pressure on anyone to form a government 'just for the sake of it'. That is how you get governments of pure chaos from the get go like the one we have now.

I wouldn't think PBP and SF would necessarily make a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

A decade isnt enough of a lead in time for it? The pension age increases to 67 in 2021 and 68 in 2028 were announced years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

A decade isnt enough of a lead in time for it? The pension age increases to 67 in 2021 and 68 in 2028 were announced years ago.

What SF is doing is utter stupidity in the hope of caging a few votes. Hopefully we keep them roaring safely from opposition for another term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

christy c wrote: »
    What SF is doing is utter stupidity in the hope of caging a few votes. Hopefully we keep them roaring safely from opposition for another term.

I think you have it spot on they are playing to the lowest common denominator SF voter with a Celtic tattoo on one arm and Tiocfaidh ár lá on the other other.

I think they know in their heart of hearts they are better off going for a few decades of opposition, before they try and get a solid middle class - non-republican blinkered vote. SF seem to feel it necessary to have to remind their voting base of how republican they are occasionally.

Yet, when trying to get votes from elsewhere, they suddenly play down their Republicanism. And they become almost partitionist as Mary Lou did in the GE when SF's record was pointed out in NI in government. She was very quick to say the GE is not in the North of Ireland etc.

I really admire SF for the amount of games they play with language and so on all for the sake of Republicanism. This state and so on. It is superb to listen to they are normally right on top of it.

I often thought when SF are in Europe as MEP's are in meetings do they refuse to have 'Republic of Ireland' or 'Northern Ireland' on the little card in front of them when they sit at the table.? Or is it simply written as 'The North' or 'The South' ?

Which is why given SF members and how careful they are with language. On reflection, I am starting to doubt if any SF utterance is 'off the cuff' when I think about it. Everything is calculated in the name of Republicanism every move is planned as part of 'the strategy'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://www.northernsound.ie/podcastsenior-sinn-fein-spokesperson-louise-oreilly-talks-jf-show-deputy-stanleys-tweet/

Have a listen to this excellent handling of O’Reilly by the Finnegan lad.

Didn’t let her talk without breathing for five minutes saying nothing.

Kept her on topic.

Went in with the studs up.

Seemingly had some way of muting her on the audio in the station, to pursue his question.

Are you listening @KatieGHannon and @rte

And this guy is ‘just ‘a regional presenter.!!!!

Well done dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

Imagine a SF TD leaked a confidential document to his friend.

Boards would explode

A few tweets is all it took this time

The islands largest party, Keep it up lads, the more ****e ya bring up the more votes we will get

https://www.northernsound.ie/podcastsenior-sinn-fein-spokesperson-louise-oreilly-talks-jf-show-deputy-stanleys-tweet/

Have a listen to this excellent handling of O’Reilly by the Finnegan lad.

Didn’t let her talk without breathing for five minutes saying nothing.

Kept her on topic.

Went in with the studs up.

Seemingly had some way of muting her on the audio in the station, to pursue his question.

Are you listening @KatieGHannon and @rte

And this guy is ‘just ‘a regional presenter.!!!!

Well done dude.

:):) his voice when she said 'I am not arguing with you'. :):)

I know Joe, if you were in the room the grinding of the gears in his brain are audible. Will frequently do the huff when he doesn't get the answers he wants.

:):) his voice when she said 'I am not arguing with you'. :):)

I know Joe, if you were in the room the grinding of the gears in his brain are audible. Will frequently do the huff when he doesn't get the answers he wants.

She was grinding away in the background while he seemed to ‘mute her down ‘ a bit .

I nearly crashed the Audi with the laughing.

Can u imagine KatieG doing that....... two chances.

Anyway, poor Stanno got ‘dissapeared’ out of Twitterland seemingly by the lads on the heathery hills.

They are going to have to start draining a few other ‘bogs’ like Instagram, or Tinder or ....is Bebo still running.....:D

jh79 wrote: »
    Greece and Italy aren't exactly the best performing economies in the EU.

Greece nearly destroyed by SF's friends in SyrIza and Italy hamstrung with criminality.

With a SF government we'll have a mixture of the above. Slab and One Shot having the advantage of comrades in government.

I think you are confirming that Ireland, with one of the best performing economies in the EU, has no business being down there with two of the worst. How about comparing it to some countries with a similar GDP/GNI economy to Ireland.

Retirement age Germany: 65 (67 in 2031); Austria (65/60 - men women - 65 in 2033), Belgium 65 (67 in 2030); Poland 65/60.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I think you are confirming that Ireland, with one of the best performing economies in the EU, has no business being down there with two of the worst. How about comparing it to some countries with a similar GDP/GNI economy to Ireland.

Retirement age Germany: 65 (67 in 2031); Austria (65/60 - men women - 65 in 2033), Belgium 65 (67 in 2030); Poland 65/60.

The last bit? Does that show that Germany, Austria and Belgium are all increasing their Retirement age in the future?

She was grinding away in the background while he seemed to ‘mute her down ‘ a bit .

I nearly crashed the Audi with the laughing.

Can u imagine KatieG doing that....... two chances.

Anyway, poor Stanno got ‘dissapeared’ out of Twitterland seemingly by the lads on the heathery hills.

They are going to have to start draining a few other ‘bogs’ like Instagram, or Tinder or ....is Bebo still running.....:D

He does it frequently when he isn't getting the answer he wants Brendi. Well known for it in the border counties, he is the origin of the station's nickname 'Northern Racket'.

P.S. How do you know somebody drives an Audi?

A: They tell you every chance they get.

• Advertisement

No, its not, because there are a whole lot of people now on job seekers because they had to retire at age 65. It was the Troika who introduced the new pension age changes (I think in 2012, but not sure).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement