Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

You have to love SF.

She received messages from other members of Ógra Sinn Féin stating that a cornerstone of the functioning of the party was to have discussions that were kept internal and that adhered to the principles of “democratic centralism”.

She was told that “going after” the party would only serve Sinn Féin detractors. She was also told that both senior and junior members of the party had raised concerns about social media posts in recent days. She was told “sensitive matters” must be kept internal and online messages, which contradicted this, would have to be taken down.

Sounds great crack lads, is this really what goes on?
    What happens if you don't follow the rule book?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

“Faux outrage”? I’d never heard of this animal before and I read something about him shoving an object up someone’s anus while they are passed out, how is this “faux” outrage? It’s absolutely horrendous.
    where does it say anything was shoved anybody's anus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

That the Irish Times has published more articles on Brian Stanley and his tweets in 5 days than they've published in 5 weeks on Varadkar leaking a highly confidential Government contract to his mate

That's Ireland summed up

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1334851166484787201

Evening Paddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Sending the heavies around to intimidate a 22 year old woman. Perfectly normal :rolleyes:
    The masters student in UCD said that a member of the party, who she knows, then called to her family home.

“He came to my house and I was upstairs in the middle of a lecture,” she said. Her parents answered the door and she said he told her parents “that he got a phone call from head office about my tweet and I can’t be criticising the party especially as a member and a PRO [public relations officer], I can’t be criticising the party online. He wanted me to delete my tweets immediately and contact him.”

She said she made the decision to resign after this and said she believes members are being “silenced”.

“Seeing how the members are reacting to basic criticism, minor criticism…it shows they are not going to listen to me.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I'd say Paddy will be getting a visit soon too. Can't imagine being associated with that gob****e is going to do much for their cause.

• Advertisement

Sending the heavies around to intimidate a 22 year old woman. Perfectly normal :rolleyes:

Sound like SF are using the old PIRA tactics.

Try to leave and we will send the goons around to go not just after you but your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

The islands largest party, Keep it up lads, the more ****e ya bring up the more votes we will get
    The state of this. There's just no getting through to guys like Paddy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Whywould they want to replace the leader who has led them to an historic election

I am talking about down the line. My point is Stanley seems like a loose canon and not the brightest.
    '
    'Another fine mess' he got SF into. As another Stan's mate Oliver Hardy said.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

"Bisexual woman of colour hounded out of SF"

;)

Progressive of SF they didn't bury her, just silenced her.....

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Bizarre story, mad reaction to her sending a few tweets. Do people really think this is normal party behaviour?

• Advertisement

Bizarre story, mad reaction to her sending a few tweets. Do people really think this is normal party behaviour?

It is a 'witch hunt' apparently :D

Funny part is it confirms many people's suspicions about SF, bullying, omerta and so on.

It is a 'witch hunt' apparently :D

Funny part is it confirms many people's suspicions about SF, bullying, omerta and so on.

I get SF being annoyed at her for not towing the party line, but are we even meant to visit randomer's houses at the minute with the restrictions? (No idea what the latest options are tbh, we're just keeping ourselves to ourselves til the 18th)

I get SF being annoyed at her for not towing the party line, but are we even meant to visit randomer's houses at the minute with the restrictions? (No idea what the latest options are tbh, we're just keeping ourselves to ourselves til the 18th)

Yeah it is the manner in which they do things. Very rough around the edges.
    SF seem to remove the old street justice vibe. It seems ingrained.

What happened a quiet phonecall from a more senior SF member who knows the girl instead? Plus listening to her grievances?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strange that SF would be asking her to remove tweets criticising Stanley when Louise O'Reilly was all over media today full on criticising him.

Let’s keep going tit for tat with things, this is horrific, how did this not get more publicity?

https://twitter.com/greeneggs_/status/1051426890555318272?s=21

Sounds like he would be an ideal SF candidate? Maybe FG is not for him. Street justice....

Strange that SF would be asking her to remove tweets criticising Stanley when Louise O'Reilly was all over media today full on criticising him.

It is strange alright.

What's it JohnnyFlash says, not a normal party?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Strange definition of full on criticism:

"The suggestion come as Mr Stanley’s party colleague Louise O’Reilly said the tone of the 2017 tweet was not acceptable but that a wrong inference was put on it and the allegation that there was homophobic content. The tweet should be taken in the context of “the whole world” discussing the fact Ireland had its first openly gay leader, she said."

if you were in a job and you had an issue with somebody else that works there, would tweeting about the named person online be acceptable??

non-sf members can criticise Stanley but should SF members? (particularly ones who have a position in the party (even if its a very minor position)

I guess if I expect to go through proper channels then SF should to, if they didn't thats bad.

It is strange alright.

What's it JohnnyFlash says, not a normal party?

I think FrancieBrady says that himself!

A handy get out when they cross the line in 'less tame' matters.
    The tweet stuff is water off a duck's back for SF. They have done way worse and waded through it not a bother.

At worst it will a 'funny SF' story for a while that they laugh about in the pub (when they reopen appropriately socially distanced)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,990 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strange definition of full on criticism:

"The suggestion come as Mr Stanley’s party colleague Louise O’Reilly said the tone of the 2017 tweet was not acceptable but that a wrong inference was put on it and the allegation that there was homophobic content. The tweet should be taken in the context of “the whole world” discussing the fact Ireland had its first openly gay leader, she said."

:) What were you expecting, a ritual beheading?
    As writer John Banville said last week in the papers this 'woke' stuff is more about the woke person than any insult or hurt caused. They do a disservice to those trying to fight against real homophobia. Homophobia like that of the DUP fundamentalists and those who had to be fought tooth and nail here for LGBT rights.

• Advertisement

if you were in a job and you had an issue with somebody else that works there, would tweeting about the named person online be acceptable??

non-sf members can crises Stanley but should SF members (particularly ones who have a position in the party (even if its a very minor position)

Agreed but it is the manner SF approached it.

Plus standing back and looking at it. It seems the Leo tweet offended Ms O'Mahony as a gay/bisexual woman. She waited her chance to get Stanley back to cause maximum damage. For such a young woman I think she will make a great politician. Well played politics wise. It will be interesting to see where Christine O'Mahony pops up in politics in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

How does Stanley who has been in republican movement for over 30 years allow himself to be humiliated like a small boy by the likes of O'Reilly who only joined SF a few weeks before being selected as a candidate?

And its not as though she is a kid who missed it. Far from it, she was a member of organisations that attacked republicans as terrorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

SF carried on with parliamentary meetings too while FF, FG etc all moved to online meetings. Add in the funeral shenanigans and it's fairly clear SF don't pay much attention to restrictions.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    SF carried on with parliamentary meetings too while FF, FG etc all moved to online meetings. Add in the funeral shenanigans and it's fairly clear SF don't pay much attention to restrictions.
    1 in 3 meetings in large rooms in the convention centre

https://headtopics.com/ie/sinn-fein-defends-holding-physical-parliamentary-meetings-17233825

• Registered Users Posts: 55,786 ✭✭✭✭walshb

non-sf members can criticise Stanley but should SF members? (particularly ones who have a position in the party (even if its a very minor position)

This about the Meath member?

She sounds like an absolute tool..

Online criticising her colleague and party, and thinking she should be allowed to..

Wtf sort people are SF attracting..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Stanley's tweet is divisive from within the party I see and young members are haemorsging from it because of it and the homophobic one.
    Akin to the green exodus you anti govt lads took such pleasure from a while ago.
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/sf-members-quit-amid-allegations-of-homophobic-and-racist-slurs-39827803.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

And a week off for Mr Stanley too I see.
    Doesn't look good for him! Will he forego his wages I wonder with this unscheduled holiday?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-brian-stanley-to-step-away-from-politics-for-week-1.4427974?mode=amp

And a week off for Mr Stanley too I see.
    Doesn't look good for him! Will he forego his wages I wonder with this unscheduled holiday?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-brian-stanley-to-step-away-from-politics-for-week-1.4427974?mode=amp

SF shut down the government for 3 years in NI and took pay the entire time. So don't expect that to happen, he will probably put in a request for extra expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Shinners tried to shaft him before the last locals. I wonder are they trying to force an early retirement?

• Advertisement

This does give a view of what will happen with SF in power
    Mr Stanley’s wife, Laois councillor Caroline Dwane Stanley took to Facebook to hit out at coverage of the controversy by RTÉ and the Irish Independent. She also said: “When SF get into Government, one of the first things it should do is remove all public funds from RTÉ.”
    Shut down the media so they can't ask any questions
    Trying to intimidate young people who speak out about them
    Hoards of people going around abusing people who don't support them
    Now threats of shutting down the media if it questions them
    Starting to sound similar to a certain party in Germany......except they got into power and then started the blood shed. SF already have blood all over their hands

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement